For Sale Pilot Wanted for Belize

Ken Pedersen

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Pedersen
Wings of Hope, the world's largest aviation oriented charity, is looking for a volunteer pilot to fly medical missions in Belize, Central America, as part of the Belize Emergency Response Team (BERT). This 1 to 3 year(s) field assignment provides a wonderful opportunity for the right pilot to provide mission services while living in beautiful Belize. For details on accommodations, monthly stipend, etc. go to: https://wingsofhope.ngo/get-involved/volunteer/

Last edited:
Looks like a great opertunity for a hour builder or a retired person, thinking requiring 1500tt might be tuff through with the current pilot demand and seeing 1500 is the magic number for ATP

Looks like a great opertunity for a hour builder or a retired person, thinking requiring 1500tt might be tuff through with the current pilot demand and seeing 1500 is the magic number for ATP
Understood, but note that the position description also states that some requirements might be waived for the right person, assuming he/she passes a check flight and interview with one of our chief pilots.

Fair enough!

And that’s a good gig for sure

Is it really only open to US passport holders? I assume Belize recognise passports from other nations...

Yea I would think this would be more of a 250 tt time job for a young guy to take advantage of.

Yea I would think this would be more of a 250 tt time job for a young guy to take advantage of.

Yes, I was thinking that was a bit of a high bar. 1500hrs., IR, Commercial, in todays environment, wouldn't that get you a right seat position with a regional? I mean it sounds like fun, I have all of the other stuff but well shy of 1500 hrs. Maybe for some turbine something, But a Cherokee Six!

Yes, I was thinking that was a bit of a high bar. 1500hrs., IR, Commercial, in todays environment, wouldn't that get you a right seat position with a regional? I mean it sounds like fun, I have all of the other stuff but well shy of 1500 hrs. Maybe for some turbine something, But a Cherokee Six!
I think this might be more of a job for a retired pro pilot that is aligned with their missionary goals. Not so much a time builder job.

I think this might be more of a job for a retired pro pilot that is aligned with their missionary goals. Not so much a time builder job.
Kind of a shame as I wouldn't mind doing such a thing in retirement and my wife is an RN but if I am not qualified then the issue is moot. Will they take my money?

Good gig?? Yeas I read $1500/mo stipend, but I also read volunteer. I also read “living in beautiful Belize”, but didn’t hear anything about a paid place to live.
How is this a good gig?

Good gig?? Yeas I read $1500/mo stipend, but I also read volunteer. I also read “living in beautiful Belize”, but didn’t hear anything about a paid place to live.
How is this a good gig?

Paid place to live sounds like it’s included. Says nice, air conditioned, 2 level apartment.

Took a 172 flight in Belize a couple of years ago. We launch into a rain storm on the way to Placencia. Im sitting in the copilots seat and this is a commercial flight. So I ask rhe young pilot if this is an IFR flight. "There is no IFR in Belize", he informs me as we enter some very wet clouds.

After i absorb that i ask, "So how do you avoid other traffic?". The answer was something about northbound planes staying in some corridor and southbound in another. Wasnt very comforting but it was an amazing flight!

I liked this line from their website.

“Some of the pilot requirements may be waived base upon a check flight with Wings of Hope’s Chief Retrieval, Delivery, Maintenance and Mission Operations Pilot.”

That’s one hell of a job title.

Back