Pilot - Social Experiment

eHarmony just matched me with a pilot. Though from his photos it looks like he does it for fun. He's in the military though according to his profile and I have a non-military rule for dating (well, cops / military / fire / etc).

He's past San Jose but I thought what the heck and emailed him. He is only 5"6" though. I said "pilot friends?" in the message and asked if he ever flew up here to the north.

This could be interesting......

Darn it are you spying on me? That's my secret spot. Great view of the Golden Gate Bridge and the fog horns are cool.
Oh my. That's really close to my "second home" which is a block from the entrance to Lincoln Park.

2011-05-31%252520at%25252018-56-19.jpg

2011-05-31%252520at%25252018-55-23.jpg

2011-05-31%252520at%25252019-04-55.jpg

Sorry to give away your "secret spot". I didn't suspect it would be there since I think you are from a different part of the city.

on the FAA's main page you should see a place in the middle to look up N-Numbers.

If it gives his name as the owner, you can look him in in the Airman database.

Oh my. That's really close to my "second home" which is a block from the entrance to Lincoln Park.

2011-05-31%252520at%25252018-56-19.jpg

2011-05-31%252520at%25252018-55-23.jpg

2011-05-31%252520at%25252019-04-55.jpg

Sorry to give away your "secret spot". I didn't suspect it would be there since I think you are from a different part of the city.

You're silly, the City is only 7 miles x 7 miles. I can go to other parts of it for fun!

on the FAA's main page you should see a place in the middle to look up N-Numbers.

If it gives his name as the owner, you can look him in in the Airman database.

I thought it was his personal plane, it is not. Government owned (correct branch of the military too according to his profile).

So I guess he flies for a living. But that picture of him outside the plane said "weekend fun". Hmm. They let you borrow the planes on weekends?

You're silly, the City is only 7 miles x 7 miles. I can go to other parts of it for fun!
True. But I can walk there!

I agree that its a beautiful and somewhat undiscovered spot, especially by tourists. They may go to the Palace of the Legion of Honor and the Cliff House but they don't try to walk between them along the trails. Various of my relatives have lived out in this neighborhood since I was a kid, though, so I've known about it for a long time.

eHarmony just matched me with a pilot. Though from his photos it looks like he does it for fun. He's in the military though according to his profile and I have a non-military rule for dating (well, cops / military / fire / etc).

What do you have against military guys?

(and no, I'm not prior-military)

I thought it was his personal plane, it is not. Government owned (correct branch of the military too according to his profile).

So I guess he flies for a living. But that picture of him outside the plane said "weekend fun". Hmm. They let you borrow the planes on weekends?
Could it be a military flying club airplane?

What do you have against military guys?

(and no, I'm not prior-military)

I've learned through experience.

Mostly has to do with schedule (24 hours on), location (moving), and mindset (I do better without strict, structured people). Also, I worry about the person I care about. With the cop I was constantly worried for him to come home without bullet holes. My friend's "reserve" husband was sent to Iraq unexpectedly.

Stuff like that.

Sorry science fans:

Tonight was painful. The scientist met me but I was already hesitant. He spent the evening telling me how he did not like animals (poop) and then he was very negative and argumentative and corrected / criticized everything on the TV at his apartment. (We ditched my night hike due to fog and horrible cold.) I excused myself at 11pm (very unlike me) and didn't even let him walk me to my car or give me a hug.

Don't think I need to send him a "no thanks" email, I think it was obvious. Oh and I am not a clean person either but he didn't even do anything to his apartment (bed unmade etc). I mean, if I'm going to have someone over for the first time, I'll do the BASICS.

Argh. Tomorrow is a new day. I have a dog grooming appt in the morning, then Petaluma airport fun in the afternoon, then a date with the vet at 8pm. He is even driving to my side of the San Rafael bridge (huge brownie points).

Oh and I am not a clean person either but he didn't even do anything to his apartment (bed unmade etc). I mean, if I'm going to have someone over for the first time, I'll do the BASICS.
Too Bad you had a bad night, this is really weird behavior IMO??? Really? Don't make your bed if you have a date? I make mine whether someone is coming over or not, but maybe that's my problem....

The military has a few flying clubs for PPLs. Reasonable rates.

Okay Kim, I have lost count of the number of dates you have been on, but in this "social experiment" for single pilots in the dating world, I / we can start to draw some conclustions.

1. You are being too picky. Pick a guy, get married, buy a mini van, and take your kids to soccer practice like the rest of us. :rolleyes:
2. This whole experiment thing has taught me one thing, I dislike reality shows even more.
3. Narcissism is contagious. :rofl:

;)

Last edited:
Reality show... Hmmmm....

I think we're onto something. Kim, let's hunt down a TV Producer, get you signed to a contract.

"Girl Pilot Adventures"?

"Cleared For Dating"?

Sorry science fans:

Tonight was painful. The scientist met me but I was already hesitant. He spent the evening telling me how he did not like animals (poop) and then he was very negative and argumentative and corrected / criticized everything on the TV at his apartment. (We ditched my night hike due to fog and horrible cold.) I excused myself at 11pm (very unlike me) and didn't even let him walk me to my car or give me a hug.

Don't think I need to send him a "no thanks" email, I think it was obvious. Oh and I am not a clean person either but he didn't even do anything to his apartment (bed unmade etc). I mean, if I'm going to have someone over for the first time, I'll do the BASICS.

Argh. Tomorrow is a new day. I have a dog grooming appt in the morning, then Petaluma airport fun in the afternoon, then a date with the vet at 8pm. He is even driving to my side of the San Rafael bridge (huge brownie points).

There's something wrong with people who don't like animals. Before I got too far with my now husband, I told him I've always had dogs, always will have dogs. He's a huge dog lover, so that one was easy. I wouldn't give up my animals for anyone.

I hope your next dates go better for you.

I think posting the length of pencils might be a bit over the top, even for PoA! ;)

Maybe she can use the inverted stages of life, "Kindergarten to Retirement" pencil size scale where you get the big fat pencil for kindergarten and the tiny skinny pencil for golf....

Reality show... Hmmmm....

I think we're onto something. Kim, let's hunt down a TV Producer, get you signed to a contract.

"Girl Pilot Adventures"?

"Cleared For Dating"?

Right now, Kimberly is the star of TWO of the top 5 most visited threads in Flight Following! You all might be on to something.

Right now, Kimberly is the star of TWO of the top 5 most visited threads in Flight Following! You all might be on to something.

A woman in a mans world..

Post some photos on a "mainly male board" of a baby, an airplane, an airplane with a woman and just a woman.

Sit back and watch the view count.

It'll go..

0, 3, 8, 17, 36..

Re: Pilot - Social Expirement

Not to sound too experienced here, but step one is that whole old fashioned "chemistry" thing. I will worry about whether or not a person enjoys flying with me AFTER I actually find a single, honest, open, reliable, willing coffee shop partner. You have no idea how tough of a place San Francisco is. I'll need all the luck I can get.

From what I hear, maybe you're just aiming at the wrong sex.. :rofl:

A woman in a mans world..

Post some photos on a "mainly male board" of a baby, an airplane, an airplane with a woman and just a woman.

Sit back and watch the view count.

It'll go..

0, 3, 8, 17, 36..

I posted a photo of me in an airplane and only had maybe two or three responses.

I posted a photo of me in an airplane and only had maybe two or three responses.

Guys don't wanna see women IN airplanes. They wanna see women ON airplanes..

... and we're not talking responses, we're talking view count. Most people look but don't speak. Lots of lurkers.

I'm on an r/c aircraft site that is mostly male and the only active female poster I know of, is actually a male pretending to be female, but I digress..

If you post up 5 pictures and throw one of a girl in it, it ALWAYS gets 4 or 5 times the views..

I don't know if this link will work, but perfect example, most pictures in the thread average 160 or so views. Images with women generally pull 600 views..

4 pictures.. 2 of airplanes, 1 with girl in it, 1 with airplane and men.

Airplane only picture - 161 views.
Airplane with woman in picture - 536 views
Airplane only picture - 174 views.
Airplane with 2 guys in picture - 175 views.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18624159&postcount=50

Last edited:
Okay Kim, I have lost count of the number of dates you have been on, but in this "social experiment" for single pilots in the dating world, I / we can start to draw some conclustions.

1. You are being too picky. Pick a guy, get married, buy a mini van, and take your kids to soccer practice like the rest of us. :rolleyes:
2. This whole experiment thing has taught me one thing, I dislike reality shows even more.
3. Narcissism is contagious. :rofl:

;)

Okay - no.

1. I am not looking for kids or mini vans - perhaps not even marriage. Not sure about kids (yet) which makes finding a guy that much harder. "Nice guys" tend to want to have children.

There's something wrong with people who don't like animals. Before I got too far with my now husband, I told him I've always had dogs, always will have dogs. He's a huge dog lover, so that one was easy. I wouldn't give up my animals for anyone.

I hope your next dates go better for you.

Thanks. It was strange and then he said he didn't like people either and explained why. It was getting very uncomfortable by the end. He even started generalizing women. Not good.

Strange email sent this morning by a man I am not attracted to, with an interesting suggestion:

Hi Kimberly,

Hope this email finds you well and it is not entirely too strange. I have recently met someone on eH and I'm taking the time to know her and therefore not dating anyone else. However, upon reading your profile I thought you would be a perfect match for a good friend of mine. He is a really great guy, a gentleman and women find him extremely attractive where ever we go. He is a former football player and now a professional pilot. He also rides motorcycles and is quite adventurous.

I haven't told him about you yet. We could arrange your meeting without his knowledge and thereby remove the pressure on you. Of course, I can answer any questions you have in advance.

Cheers,

R*****

I wrote him back - asking questions, and being very cautious. We shall see. Who says this pilot even wants to meet a girl? Besides, I don't care as much about what he looks like and what he does for a living - as I do about personality / good match / etc. Maybe his friend doesn't realize why some airline pilots stay single . . .

You're trying too hard.

A watched pot never boils and all that..

Thanks. It was strange and then he said he didn't like people either and explained why. It was getting very uncomfortable by the end. He even started generalizing women. Not good.

Aww... Sounds like he was working hard on the first date, and you saw more of the real him on the second.

Hang in there... I just hope the VET likes animals.

You hope the vet likes the animals that you like! I have large dogs, and I've had a hard time finding decent vets who also like large dogs. There are cat vets, and small dog vets, and big dog vets, and those who like cats/small dogs don't seem to like big dogs.

You hope the vet likes the animals that you like! I have large dogs, and I've had a hard time finding decent vets who also like large dogs. There are cat vets, and small dog vets, and big dog vets, and those who like cats/small dogs don't seem to like big dogs.
Isn't the "vet" a veteran not a veterinarian? Of course he might be a veteran veterinarian...

Oh OK, I must have gotten mixed up. It seems like you mentioned a guy who was posing by a military airplane.

I did but he is more than 100 miles away (I think) and I had contacted him to see if we could maybe just be pilot friends. Plus I believe he is younger than me and shorter than me. Not sure.

Possibly going for an airplane ride tomorrow (my first in CA).

Some pilots from the Blue / Purple / Red Boards (and maybe even a meetup group) are meeting for lunch tomorrow in Auburn.

I've never been before and when I mentioned that I needed driving directions, a pilot who was already attending offered to fly me there.

How awesome! Not sure how many people will be there and all that - I can't afford to help with avgas but I will offer to buy his lunch. Hope that is OK.

There is a chance of rain in the forecast so I'm not sure how that will affect the number of people who show up.

Kimberly

You don't like veterans? Men who have served our country? Seriously? :yikes:

No I mis-spoke. I meant active military. My friend's husband was sent to war overseas twice. I couldn't deal with that sort of worry.

Veterans who are no longer in the military are usually married already.

You're trying too hard.

A watched pot never boils and all that..

I've used the internet for 10 - 15 years. It works. It just takes patience. The older we get, the more picky we become. This is to save us from a bunch of short term relationships that won't work out in the end. If I am "too picky" now that's fine with me. Divorce rates are super high and I don't ever want a divorce. I can wait for the right one.

Back