Pilot snacks? What do you eat in the cockpit?

Everything that doesn't leave a trace or crumbles in the plane... ;) Most preferred are those little tomatos. :) No chocolate... :(

I'll usually pick up a Greek gyro any time that I'll have a Chicago turn. A couple of slices of last night's leftover pizza keep pretty well if you know what you're doing. A foot long sub sandwich is a good go to meal as well.

And I'd be noddin' in about 10 minutes after that! :D

Since our flights are long(average 10 hours) I have been looking for things to bring snack wise that fit in my backpack, are semi healthy, and no mess. We always bring a full lunch to put in the fridge then heat up in the oven but after a few hours of that I want something to munch on. One of our flight engineers turned me on to these boxes called "Graze." They basically send you a box every week, two weeks, or however frequent you want, with different healthy snack containers(about the size of a bar of soap.) There are 8 different ones in a box. You can log into the website and filter out things you don't like. I don't like peanuts so I click on it and it deselects all the snacks containing peanuts. So far I have found them to be really good. You can then select ones and say that you liked it so send it again or didn't so don't send it again. www.graze.com

If you decide to do it, let me know and I can give you a code. You get a few free boxes and I get a few free boxes. They are about $12 a box so about $1.50 per snack box. A little pricey but they are different, less than 200 calories per, and pretty darn good. Plus you can cancel at any time.

Dried fruit, not messy, healthy, most come with reclosable bags, so you can eat a little as you go.

Yoo-hoo (or comparable) gives a boost without the diuretic effect of coffee or similar caffeine product. Can freeze the night before and use in lieu of ice in a cooler.

Last edited:
Gatoraid to drink

I don't usually eat in the airplane, but if it is a long flight I might eat a banana or apple to tide me over.

About 30 years ago, a group of guys, including my dad and I, boarded my dad's Dakota and another guy's twin and flew to Mexico for a fishing trip. The twin carried 2-3 cases of beer. It was about a 4-hour flight. When we landed in Mexico, the guy's on the twin literally staggered off the plane, one of them almost fell down the stairs. They'd gotten into the beer on the way, but had no way to relieve themselves (duh!) without emptying another can of beer to pee in. That became a vicious cycle of drankin' and peein' which resulted in most of a case of beer demolished. And pee they did as soon as they were off the plane, right at the foot of the stairs, no matter who was watching. Then came the issue of removing cans full of urine, which were filled to the brim and doth runneth over. It was a mess, and the cabin smelled a bit peeish. I was just glad I was flying with my dad in the Dakota.

I don't eat in the cockpit because among other things I am afraid of answering the 2 million dollar question.

Watched a dude open one of those silly Mio bottles at altitude once to put in his water bottle, and spray the interior of a nice airplane with concentrated red crap.

Back