Pilot Slang?

"Flying Milk Stool":

pa-22-160_1959.jpg

(Piper Tri-Pacer)

"Cardboard Constellation":

Bellanca_14-19-3_4.jpg

(Bellanca)

"Fingers" - 123.45 on the radio. It's a freq you are not supposed to use, but a lot of people use it anyway for air-to-air communications. So many people use it that probably the REAL air-to-air freqs are empty.

On a good weather flying day here in Texas, you'll find both freqs full of chatter. Sometimes 122.85 also.

On the weekend before Airventure, you'll find all three freqs jam-packed about like channel 19 was on CB radio back in the late 1970's - early 1980's :D

Here's a pilot slang term that I've heard for years, but only just learned the meaning recently:

Zoomies - Air Force pilots who went to the USAF Academy.

Zoomies - Air Force pilots who went to the USAF Academy.

Ahh, yes. I use that one. Plenty of those around here. :)

Also known as "Ring Knockers", but that term applies to all military academies equally.

(And they're all darn fine people.)

On a good weather flying day here in Texas, you'll find both freqs full of chatter. Sometimes 122.85 also.

On the weekend before Airventure, you'll find all three freqs jam-packed about like channel 19 was on CB radio back in the late 1970's - early 1980's :D

And for those of us who legitimately build and test airplane parts it is a royal pain in the ass to have an hour's test data screwed up with Good Buddy 1 chatting with Good Buddy 2 a hundred miles away. Note that they never use real names or N numbers.

That's OK, my local FCC (NOT FAA) has caught about half a dozen of them and as I understand it, let them off with a $500 fine with the caution that the SECOND catch will be the whole $10,000 authorized in the regs.

And for those of us who legitimately build and test airplane parts it is a royal pain in the ass to have an hour's test data screwed up with Good Buddy 1 chatting with Good Buddy 2 a hundred miles away. Note that they never use real names or N numbers.

That's OK, my local FCC (NOT FAA) has caught about half a dozen of them and as I understand it, let them off with a $500 fine with the caution that the SECOND catch will be the whole $10,000 authorized in the regs.

+1. 123.45 is NOT an air-to-air chit chat frequency in the US. Don't use it as such.

Tire Spiders.....evil creatures with an affinity for aircraft rubber who have been suspected, but never proven (they always flee the scene of the crime) to be responsible for countless unexplained aviation accidents.

Don't forget:

Bug Smasher - aircraft that dont typically operate at high altitudes
Un-sat - Unsatisfactory
pencil whipped - something signed off when it shouldn't have been

and maybe

Flight Line - The gag, it doesent exist
Prop Wash - The gag, it doesent exist

In the operating room we have sent new hires to find us an Otis elevator, or to the supply core for a six inch package of Fallopian tubing.

Aeronautical Glossary

Airfoil - Sword used for dueling in flight
Airstrip - Inflight performance by exotic stewardesses
Cockpit - Place where chicken pilots are kept
Downwind Leg - When a girl is standing sideways to the wind her skirt is lower on this leg
Final Approach - Last pass made at a girl before giving up
Gross Weight - 350 pound pilot
Nosewheel - Device sometimes bent by pilots
R.P.M. - Initials of a large corp that builds tach's
Slip - Apparel worn by female pilots
Taildragger - Pilot that lost bout with a bottle last night
Zulu Time - Time used by African pilots

:lol:

Ground.9 = fancy way of ATC telling you to go to 121.90 for ground ATC.

This isn't SLANG, it's the accepted procedure.

4-3-14. Communications
d. A controller may omit the ground or local control frequency if the controller believes the pilot knows which frequency is in use. If the ground control frequency is in the 121 MHz bandwidth the controller may omit the numbers preceding the decimal point; e.g., 121.7, "CONTACT GROUND POINT SEVEN." However, if any doubt exists as to what frequency is in use, the pilot should promptly request the controller to provide that information.

Propeller - What us airplane drivers call our fan(s).
Wheel - What the boat guys call their propellers.

:)

In the operating room we have sent new hires to find us an Otis elevator, or to the supply core for a six inch package of Fallopian tubing.

In the Coast Guard we'd send a newbie off to find some prop wash, or bring back 8 feet of shore line.

Once we wrapped a CG Academy cadet in tinfoil, and sent him out to the end of a dock so we could "calibrate the radar" on our small boat. To this day I don't know if he was really dumb, or really sharp and playing along.

Back