Pilot Slang?

Tally Ho - "I will follow the airplane before me in sequence for landing."

No joy - "I don't have my traffic in sight."
Actually "Tally Ho" simply means the opposite of No Joy (i.e. I don't have the traffic/airplane/missile etc) in sight. But both terms are generally frowned on in the GA crowd and often lead to assumptions that the pilot is a military wanna be.

Actually "Tally Ho" simply means the opposite of No Joy (i.e. I don't have the traffic/airplane/missile etc) in sight. But both terms are generally frowned on in the GA crowd and often lead to assumptions that the pilot is a military wanna be.

Geez.... I have been flying 30 + years and have never heard Tally Ho.. I learn new stuff every day.:yesnod::yesnod::yesnod:

Ben.

Geez.... I have been flying 30 + years and have never heard Tally Ho.. I learn new stuff every day.:yesnod::yesnod::yesnod:

Ben.

It was derived from the English fox hunt term for "we gottem" and was used by the WWII Fighter pilots for the sighting of the enemy.

and was carried over to the GA as the WWII pilots became Flight Instructors, but isn't used much any more, as it confuses the ATC kids

Tally Ho - "I will follow the airplane before me in sequence for landing."

No joy - "I don't have my traffic in sight."

No.

Tally Ho (never to be used in the United States): I have the traffic in sight (has nothing to do with sequencing).
No Joy: I don't have the traffic in sight.

Tally Ho belongs in the same category as "roger" in that it serves a purpose, but is usually used incorrectly. It also confuses ESL pilots, which is not good, especially when dealing with something as important as traffic avoidance.

I was flying with a CFI, and we heard one of her CFI students on the radio say "Tally Ho" to the tower controller after a traffic call-out. She cringed and promised to "set him straight" at their next lesson.

I've only heard "tally ho" twice in well over 1000 hours of x/c flying.

Both times it was an airline pilot.

Oh...and speaking of airline pilots. Let's not forget:

"got him on the fish finder" i.e. "traffic is being displayed on the TCAS".

Last edited:
"Tally ho" or just "tally" is standard military aviation (or I should say Naval Air, as I don't know about the other branches) terminology for "Traffic in sight", whereas "no joy" is generically "not in sight" but also used for "I don't see/hear your transponder/radio/radar return" etc.

I've only heard "tally ho" twice in well over 1000 hours of x/c flying.

Both times it was an airline pilot.

I'm sure none of us in this thread have ever used language over the radio that is not found in the Pilot/Controller glossary. :)

I am sorry, but that is NOT the correct definition of a Hangar Queen.

A hangar queen is a plane that for some reason or another is not flyable and has consequently become a spare parts farm in order to keep other aircraft in the squadron airworthy. Can also be used to refer to an aircraft that is constantly down for maintenance and thus spends all of its time waiting in the hangar to be fixed.

I am sorry but that IS the correct definition of Hangar Queen. For whatever reason it takes up hangar space without being flown very much.

Jim

I am sorry but that IS the correct definition of Hangar Queen. For whatever reason it takes up hangar space without being flown very much.

Jim

Man, I love the internet.. :)

I think it's probably pretty easily said that a hangar queen has multiple meanings..

I've always heard of a hangar queen being a plane that was just nice but never flew. However, the meaning of a word changes depending on what circle you run in.

Looks like the military calls a hangar queen a bird who is cannibalized for parts.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,850866,00.html

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hangar_queen

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hangar+queen

Depends on whether we are discussing engines or female pilots. :goofy:

Ha:rofl:

That comeback could take this tread in a risky direction.

Jug " =

Does the piston have too much slop in the bore ?

Can you "rebarrel" it to tighten up the slop?

Is the head cracked?

Is the guides worn ?

I mean... Jay Leno could spent an entire skit on this topic alone...

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...:idea:

Which means absolutely nothing to the controller since visual separation requirements mean they have to see the other aircraft. That one drives me nuts.

Sure buddy, use your "fish finder" to figure out where to LOOK but none of us outside of your cockpit care if you have one. ;) (Unless of course, you're reporting leaving an assigned altitude, heading, or other deviation because you're following Resolution Advisories from it.)

Hangar queen/garage queen/etc has always been a plane that looks good and never flies, not a parts bird/truck/motorcycle/etc..

I'm not sure the phrase has an exact definition.

It does in some flying organizations, and I gave one to you.

I'm not in the Air Force.

I can't seem to find where I said you were. Regardless, If you think Air Force slang and phraseology is insignificant or irrelevant to this thread, you're certainly welcome to your opinion.

If you think Air Force slang and phraseology is insignificant or irrelevant to this thread, you're certainly welcome to your opinion.

Well, if we were in the Air Force, on an Air Force message board, being governed by the Air Force, sure it would matter to me. As it happens, this is a civvy message board, discussion civvy matters. If you feel Air Force slang has a place in civvy life, use it. Matters very little to me.

I personally couldn't care less about the issue. I had no idea the phrase "hangar queen" could evoke such deeply rooted feelings as to the true meaning.

I'm just as happy to accept a broken down heap giving it's bits and pieces to keep others running as a hangar queen as I am a perfectly flyable, yet unflying, aircraft as hangar queens.

I've got a friend who has a Aero Commander Single and Twin, Yak 52, and a Decathlon that combined have flown less than 50 hours in 2011. They are all, each and every one of them - "walk out and flip the switch" flyable. Every single one of them is known as a hangar queen, locally. However, we're not at McGuire or Maxwell, so maybe that explains it. ;)

I believe he is right, it does not need to be a parts suppler, my old hangar queen has only 2000 hours in 75 years, many time the aircraft simply sets for long period as some one's project, hoping they may fly again.
I'm suprised to hear you of all people say that Tom (considering you were Navy)!

Let me put it this way.....the term 'hangar queen' originated in the military (Navy carrier aircraft in particular) and may have taken on other meanings since then.

Well, if we were in the Air Force, on an Air Force message board, being governed by the Air Force, sure it would matter to me. As it happens, this is a civvy message board, discussion civvy matters. If you feel Air Force slang has a place in civvy life, use it.

Half of this thread mentions military and/or Air Force, as does many other threads in this forum that you've participated in, all without negative comment.

Matters very little to me.
It mattered enough for you to respond to my post in a gruff manner when my intention was to only provide insight. If someone in the AF peed in your Wheaties, or if you were rejected by the AF, it's none of my business. But when you respond offensively to a post of mine that does not call for it, I'll suggest you instead peddle it on the Red Board where it might be more appropriate.

Half of this thread mentions military and/or Air Force, as does many other threads in this forum that you've participated in, all without negative comment.

It mattered enough for you to respond to my post in a gruff manner when my intention was to only provide insight. If someone in the AF peed in your Wheaties, or if you were rejected by the AF, it's none of my business. But when you respond offensively to a post of mine that does not call for it, I'll suggest you instead peddle it on the Red Board where it might be more appropriate.

Pretty obvious you took my gruff "I'm not in the Air Force" reply the wrong way.

Were you in the Navy? :rofl:

Navy wings are made of gold, Air force wings are made of lead. ;)

No, I wasn't. I wish I had been though. My pops, uncle and father were all Naval aviators.

Navy wings are made of gold, Air force wings are made of lead. ;)

No, I wasn't. I wish I had been though. My pops, uncle and father were all Naval aviators.
I was never in the service but I have flown with enough former Air Force and Navy pilots to know enough not to get them mixed up, especially in their presence. :redface:

I was never in the service but I have flown with enough former Air Force and Navy pilots to know enough not to get them mixed up, especially in their presence. :redface:

You should get a Navy P-3 guy and an Air Force C-130 guy together and watch the sparks fly. :)

P-3 guys insist the C-130 is flying upside down and vice versa.

"Bought the farm"- died, I've only heard it in military context (mostly books & movies which shows you how accurate it probably is :) )

George: Auto Pilot
Otto: Auto Pilot (Airplane reference?)

"Bought the farm"- died,

I've heard it said "morted." My pops uses it all the time. I'm not sure if it's a military slang term or not but he's mentioned multiple people, who died in plane crashes and they "morted."

How about...

Bitchin' Betty: The female voice added to warning systems (notably the F-16) after scientists decided male pilots would react more readily to an aircraft system with a female voice.

OK, here is a question. And please add as you see fit.

I have seen some pilot-ey words today on POA that I don't understand.

Please help!

"Sheeple" (spelling?) Like "she" and "people" combined or perhaps "sheep" and "people"

"Hot Dogging" (not sure I want to know?)

"Scud Running" (I think this has to do with flying under the clouds)

List others I should know as a new pilot. Wouldn't want to show up to the flour bombing next weekend without being able to follow along with all the pilot stories I may hear . . . .

Kimberly

Sheeple-> Look around you. Chances are....
Hot Dogging-> RV Pilot
Scud Running-> A lost art.

How about...

Bitchin' Betty: The female voice added to warning systems (notably the F-16) after scientists decided male pilots would react more readily to an aircraft system with a female voice.
I have a bitchin' betty, wired to my fish finder, giving me TIS. The latter being Traffic Information System which is MODE-S, the poor man's TCAS. Betty has an english accent, the fish finder is a 406, and I'm not sure how helpful TIS isn't. But nothing beats the Mark-1 eyeball.
On your six - behind you at your six o'clock.

It comes from the old saying, "Let George do it," i.e., dumping the responsibility for doing something onto someone (or anyone) else.
I know that...just curious why it became 'george' in the aviation world when it was 'mike' aboard ships long before airplanes were fitted with such conveniences.

Over the fence - at the approach end of the runway.
Low approach - usually an IFR term regarding how the approach will end (as in not landing). A practice approach without landing.
Gone west - another term used to announce someone's passing.

I've seen "hangar queens/trailer queens/garage queens" used to mean any vehicle not being used very often. I can see this resulting in a scavenger of parts to keep others flying. Recently, one of the local PA28s clipped a parked car. It donated a few parts to mine to keep me in the air while it spent a few months convalescing (a wing transplant needed).

Back