Pilot or Captain?

Technically I think 'Captain' is OK for an ATP rated pilot flying in a commercial operation.

In small GA planes, anyone who calls himself a 'Captain' is an ubber-dork IMHO.

I never made it to Captain, (hyper-sensitive gag reflex) I only made it to Commander. :D

I had an Indian who addressed me with a captain sandwich every time he saw me, I had to threaten him with his life to use my name. Turned out he had trouble pronouncing it so I got him to knock it to a single 'captain' or just 'hello'.:lol:

O Captain my Captain . . .

First thought I had was to Tony on the RedBoard . . .if anyone called me Captain I'd start laughing -

If I am on the bridge or decks of the boat visitors and guests onboard will typically call me captain and that is fine. Crew quickly just come to me and make me aware of themselves and quietly address me face to face and use their expression as a salutation, sparing the words for what they need. Principles call me by my first name and introduce me as master in an official maritime setting and usually captain in social settings.

Last edited:
I heard a story of a Captain who told his FO that he preferred to be called 'Captain "Smith"' (not his real name) at all times...even in the cockpit. The FO asked if he was serious to which the Captain said he was.

So the FO said, "fine, then I want to be referred to as 'First Officer Jones'" (not his real name either).

The Captain protested and it made it to the Chief Pilots Office. Of course the Chief Pilot sided with the FO in that what's good for the goose is good for the gander. So they flew a tour calling each other Captain Smith and First Officer Jones.

I heard a story of a Captain who told his FO that he preferred to be called 'Captain "Smith"' (not his real name) at all times...even in the cockpit. The FO asked if he was serious to which the Captain said he was.

So the FO said, "fine, then I want to be referred to as 'First Officer Jones'" (not his real name either).

The Captain protested and it made it to the Chief Pilots Office. Of course the Chief Pilot sided with the FO in that what's good for the goose is good for the gander. So they flew a tour calling each other Captain Smith and First Officer Jones.

So....did you relent in your desire to be called "Captain" after that tour?

:rofl::rofl::rofl: At Cal Dive I was sent a Mate 20 years my senior, went by "Skipper Wrong" (not his real name but you can guess it from the 2 clues: 'aviation' and 'black and white') After he ran over a nearshore natural gas well breaking it off 4' below grade left spewing a geyser South bound on his way up the North beach of the toe of Louisiana I found out his name was Junius... Luckily Talisman was ice hardened, classed and built for Alaska oilfields. We did rip open our full cargo fuel tank though because the rolling chalk wasn't welded on a doubler.

I'm pretty sure that I have never been addressed by the driver of a cab or limo in any city in the world as other than "Captain" when I was wearing the monkey suit.

Neither, my first name works just fine, thank you

With that said, I never fail to start my passenger briefing with "this is your captain speaking"... Although I still have trouble not cracking up.

I was flying back from New York one year on a United Express J-32. We bounced a few times on landing. As exiting the airplane, I definitely addressed the pilot as captain, "Captain Kangaroo"! He didn't look thrilled. Because the curtain was open, I could see who was doing the flying.

If that's the guy from Blueridge land, he also demanded the hotel desk people refer to him as captain. Weird fella.

I don't know the guy personally, but Blueridge land is where I heard the story!

Sounds like Catch 22 some how (g). When I was an Army captain and flying an aircraft and PIC, would have been Captain Captain Captain. Wouldn't have known if you had a stutter or to answer yes yes yes.

As to when I'm flying my plane, I'm the pilot. Don't wear strips but will wear identification showing I'm a pilot in and out of FBOs around my neck.

Best,

Dave

As to when I'm flying my plane, I'm the pilot. Don't wear strips but will wear identification showing I'm a pilot in and out of FBOs around my neck.

Best,

Dave

You mean the preceding heralds with their trumpets and the young maidens sprinkling rose petals on the red carpet for me aren't enough??? :dunno:

I'm pretty sure that I have never been addressed by the driver of a cab or limo in any city in the world as other than "Captain" when I was wearing the monkey suit.
Man. That post prompted me to have a look at my last "skipper" suit. No way am I gettin' in that again. Ever.

My Father asked me because I am now a Pilot, does he call me Pilot or Captain? I always believed Captain was a title for a Commercial(compensated) Pilot?

He should call you "Matt."

Here's mine. I keep it hanging in the closet in case they call.

image.jpg
Man. That post prompted me to have a look at my last "skipper" suit. No way am I gettin' in that again. Ever.

USCG uses "Captain" as a title for the guy in charge of the boat regardless of his official USCG rank. I think Commodore, Admiral, Captain, Commander, Boss, Chief, PIC, or anything else you want works.
Just be careful where you use it. It might be the only time you get to use it when your spouse is around!

When we were dating and before I started flight training, my wife called me "Captain". I haven't heard it in awhile. It's possible she may have out smarted me. (LOL)

Back