Pilot or Captain?

MDeitch1976

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MattCanFly
My Father asked me because I am now a Pilot, does he call me Pilot or Captain? I always believed Captain was a title for a Commercial(compensated) Pilot?

You are Pilot in Command.

Call yourself Captain if you want, I think it sounds dorky if all you're doing is flying a single engine recip trainer. :lol:

My Father asked me because I am now a Pilot, does he call me Pilot or Captain? I always believed Captain was a title for a Commercial(compensated) Pilot?

Captain, outside military rank is an honorific bestowed upon people with ego issues. You are a Pilot, when you are in command of the aircraft you are Pilot in Command, doesn't matter if you're a solo student in a 152 or in command of an A380 full of pax.

Captain, outside military rank is an honorific bestowed upon people with ego issues. You are a Pilot, when you are in command of the aircraft you are Pilot in Command, doesn't matter if you're a solo student in a 152 or in command of an A380 full of pax.

This is along the lines of what I was thinking. Call me by name or call me Pilot.

However, the ladies can call me, Captain! :wink2::wink2:

So calling him Commander might be an option? :dunno:

A plane is also called a ship. But I think it sounds a little funny to be a captain of a 152

At least one airline (that happens to be based in Ft. Worth) distinguishes captains and pilots.

IIRC, your website or other internet carried such a designation. Is that different?

A plane is also called a ship. But I think it sounds a little funny to be a captain of a 152

The same applies to a ship, there is no standing in maritime law for Captain, my credentials read, "Master" as do all the credentials from issuing nations. When referred to in any legal sense, the term Master is used.

At least one airline (that happens to be based in Ft. Worth) distinguishes captains and pilots.

IIRC, your website or other internet carried such a designation. Is that different?

Still honorific, there is no standing for the term Captain in the FARs I have seen, but I haven't read every word of 121.

I have a good friend I attend Church with that is my most frequent passenger.

He and his wife bought me a hat that has "Captain Tim" embroidered on it.

It was a great thought but to be honest I hate the darn thing. Thank God they ordered it in the wrong size (non adjustable) because they understand why it sits in my closet.

I got a letter in the mail once from someone in a foreign country asking for money. It was labeled to "El Presidente". I like the sound of that.

I have a good friend I attend Church with that is my most frequent passenger.

He and his wife bought me a hat that has "Captain Tim" embroidered on it.

It was a great thought but to be honest I hate the darn thing. Thank God they ordered it in the wrong size (non adjustable) because they understand why it sits in my closet.

Well, at least you can still wear the epaulets! :rofl:

When the 4-striper left-seater is introduced as the captain, do you have trouble figuring out who's in charge?

Does your Cap Henning website connote rank or head-wear?

Still honorific, there is no standing for the term Captain in the FARs I have seen, but I haven't read every word of 121.

If my Dad called me anything right now, I'd be dead. Everyone else can call me by my name. If I got a job flying with an airline where I'd qualify for a title of captain, I'd more likely be addressed as "the respondent".

Just call the other one Skipper or Skippy or whatever he will answer to and go on about your business. At least that's what I do.:rofl:

What if both the right and left seats are wearing 4 stripes???

When the 4-striper left-seater is introduced as the captain, do you have trouble figuring out who's in charge?

Does your Cap Henning website connote rank or head-wear?

It's just what I use in a marketing capacity since henning.com was taken when I registered my website.

I always liked the dorky USAF Air Mobility Command terms, Aircraft Commander, Pilot Flying and the lowly Pilot Not Flying.

OTOH, in Tactical Air Command (now Air Combat Command) it was just Pilot which was much better.:yes:

Cheers

Is the difference between Captain and Master, who is the pilot in command? Or, is Master another level of Certification?
No.....In the case of the cruise ships, it is a matter of dealing with the PAX. The guy who dresses up and sits at the Captain's table schmoozing with people is not the actual Master of the vessel.....more like a PR guy. IIRC, the official title of said individual is 'Staff Captain' and most do not actually have a Master's License.

In the maritime world, PIC is probably better translated to the officer of the watch. The deck officer on watch at any given time actually responsible for navigating the ship, while the Master has ultimate responsibility for the ship.

I've met a few pilots over the years with last names that I thought should use the title Captain at all times.:yes:

Morgan
Kirk
Hook

My kids say "daddy is driving the plane" isn't that enough ?

Is the difference between Captain and Master, who is the pilot in command? Or, is Master another level of Certification?

Master is a certification, Captain is an honorific. On a cruise ship the Master is captain of the ship commanding the deck and engineering departments, the other is captain of the service and commands the stewards department which includes the retail and entertainment services.

Last edited:
I've met a few pilots over the years with last names that I thought should use the title Captain at all times.:yes:

Morgan
Kirk
Hook

Exactly, fictional characters because it is part of the proper noun name created for them.

my dad would ask a question like that as well..

Well, in my case there's no question. A big-arse coffee mug in my garage says CAPTAIN WAYNE in big letters that are impossible to miss. It was a gift from Simuflite when I trained there, and I thought it would be kinda fun to use it on special occasions, pilot gatherings and such.

Turns out the little gold band around the top is a metallic substance that sparks, smokes and generally raises hell in the microwave, so its only function is to be the pencil holder over the work bench. So if you want to be duly impressed we gotta stand around in my garage.

What if both the right and left seats are wearing 4 stripes???
We just want to keep everyone guessing. :goofy:

Really I think it's just a term some people,especially line techs, use instead of "sir", "ma'am" or "hey you". You hear it more in foreign countries.

We just want to keep everyone guessing. :goofy:

Really I think it's just a term some people,especially line techs, use instead of "sir", "ma'am" or "hey you". You hear it more in foreign countries.

That is the typical use I see, as a pronoun to address the person in charge when you don't know their name.

Then why does the PNF tell the passengers to "please remain seated until the plane is stopped at the gate and the captain has turned off the seat-belt light."

Doesn't he know his/her name?
That is the typical use I see, as a pronoun to address the person in charge when you don't know their name.

Then why does the PNF tell the passengers to "please remain seated until the plane is stopped at the gate and the captain has turned off the seat-belt light."

Doesn't he know his/her name?

Welcome to the world of stroked egos and those who need them stroked.

Since they all say the same thing, do you think it's SOP or coincidence?

SOP, they learned long ago to just stroke pilot egos, it's so well known ego stroking is built into the Ops Manual.

Since they all say the same thing, do you think it's SOP or coincidence?

Habit?

I get called "Dr." all day long - One student would get "Dr." into at least 80% of his sentences. Sometimes twice in one sentance. Even after I point out that I have a masters degree some will keep calling me that. Others usually switch over to "professor" - which I like better because it reminds me of Gilligan's Island. I don't bother to explain that I am really staff, not faculity because it just gets confusing at that point.

Back