Pilot or Captain?

when you fly into mexico everyone at the airport calls you "capi" and if you are a copilot you get calle d"copi". no matter what plane you fly.

when you fly into mexico everyone at the airport calls you "capi" and if you are a copilot you get calle d"copi". no matter what plane you fly.
All I ever got called when I flew into Mexico was Gringo.....

Maybe somebody should have told the CBA negotiating team about that philosophy. It doesn't seem to carry over to the pay and benefits discussions.

SOP, they learned long ago to just stroke pilot egos, it's so well known ego stroking is built into the Ops Manual.

I have a friend who is 64 she calls me kiddo and I'm 55! Guess its relative

Early parts of this thread remind me of TonyAir (from AOPA board)

Habit?

I get called "Dr." all day long - One student would get "Dr." into at least 80% of his sentences. Sometimes twice in one sentance. Even after I point out that I have a masters degree some will keep calling me that. Others usually switch over to "professor" - which I like better because it reminds me of Gilligan's Island. I don't bother to explain that I am really staff, not faculity because it just gets confusing at that point.

Same deal when I was an adjunct instructor in Engineering at UD. I eventually started each first class with "You can call me Ray or you can call me Jay but don't call me Johnson (or Doctor)."

Cheers

Master is a certification, Captain is an honorific. On a cruise ship the Master is captain of the ship commanding the deck and engineering departments, the other is captain of the service and commands the stewards department which includes the retail and entertainment services.
In Jersey whenever we would ask the bridge tender to open the bridge to let us through, the "driver" of the boat was always called captain. Given I was in the air force at the time and was a major, I was always tempted to tell them no I am a major.:goofy:

"Captain" is also a job title which usually comes with a pay bump. However, in the context of the original question I don't think that this applies.

Most of the time he calls me "Kiddo". Very weird for being 36 years old.
Speaking as one with a son aged 31, I don't think it's weird at all. And he often calls me "Pops," which I don't consider weird, either. Matter of perspective, I guess.

Do I need to weigh in here?

Here you go, this brings home what people who need to be called Captain are all about:

Here you go, this brings home what people who need to be called Captain are all about:

Henning,you truly are an ass. Terminally jealous also, it seems to me.

Henning,you truly are an ass. Terminally jealous also, it seems to me.

LOL, an ass I won't argue, but I did not create that. The score on people who need to refer to themselves as The Captain is a long standing joke among those who make our living under the title and the rest of those who have to deal with them in a professional capacity.

What is it you suspect I'm jealous of?

Last edited:
Speaking as one with a son aged 31, I don't think it's weird at all. And he often calls me "Pops," which I don't consider weird, either. Matter of perspective, I guess.

My son calls me Pops as well Ron. He is 25 and a Lt JG in the Navy

Perhaps the inability to hold any gainful employment for more than a few months at a time? :dunno:

No, I like contract work, wish the last one would have lasted a bit longer before they Chapter 11ed, but I like my time off and don't want to work a job more than 6 months a year.

My son calls me Pops as well Ron. He is 25 and a Lt JG in the Navy

I call my old man (who retired as a Navy CDR 4 years before I was born) "old man" or "pops" or "Dad" and I, oddly enough, grew up calling him by his first name "Paul" until I was old enough to realize that was weird.....no idea why that started really. I like to ask him how he got around before they had invented the wheel, or what dating was like when you had to send her a message via pigeon.
<----- nearly 30 yr old Navy LT :)

The same applies to a ship, there is no standing in maritime law for Captain, my credentials read, "Master" as do all the credentials from issuing nations. When referred to in any legal sense, the term Master is used.

And he's always trying to steal the TARDIS.

In the cockpit, I go by John.
We all go by first names too, even when introducing ourselves to the passengers.

As far as the captain thing goes, only on POA could this be overthought. :rofl:

My airline uses captain, first officer and relief officer.

On the PA, I just use captain. On my flights, nobody cares what your name is. I fly cargo now, so I don't even make PA's anymore.

Yes, the title goes to some folks heads. A bankruptcy helps reel the ego in :yikes:

How many other places would at least three of them have handles that include some reference to Captain?

We all go by first names too, even when introducing ourselves to the passengers.

As far as the captain thing goes, only on POA could this be overthought. :rofl:

How many other places would at least three of them have handles that include some reference to Captain?

For the record - the "Capt." followed me here from places unrelated to aviation - actually it was originally a bit of a joke. I kept it because that's how a number other rec.aviation refugees know me.

Well, now that you mention it, that brings the total to at least four.

For the record - the "Capt." followed me here from places unrelated to aviation - actually it was originally a bit of a joke. I kept it because that's how a number other rec.aviation refugees know me.

Exactly, fictional characters because it is part of the proper noun name created for them.

Morgan was most certainly not fictional. Sir Henry Morgan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Morgan

If I understand right, the whole captain/first officer thing came from Pan Am. They mirrored the maritime tradition of captain, first officer, etc during the clipper era. Around the same time they started wearing what is more or less a knock off of naval officer uniforms.

In my world, Captain is just a shorter way of saying PIC, signer of the release, one filling out the paperwork if it comes to that, etc. The one responsible for the flight and the final decision maker.

He or she can take the ego and shove it up their ass. It's a position and job title, not a persona.

Signed,

Captain Rex Kramer.. :D

Back