Pilot magazines

MemphisCrimson

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
memphisCrimson
What’s everyone’s opinion of the pilot magazines out there? Anyone find one better than another?

I've been reading them since 1964 and I miss Air Progress. But I would rank them for my interests as:

1. Sport Aviation (EAA)
2. AOPA Pilot
the rest of the field goes into much the same box, OK but nothing that grabs my interest usually.

And then we go to the internet
1. AVWeb
2. Aero-News

Unless they’re sitting in the FBO next to the couches, I don’t ever read them. It’s all online nowadays anyway.

All are good. My monthly list:

AOPA
Sport Aviation (EAA)
Flying
World Air Show News
IFR Refresher (letting it expire)
Combat Aircraft Monthly
Air & Space

I get the seaplane pilots association one being a member, and the professional pilots mag for free, but that’s about it

Sport Pilot
AOPA
Flying
Professional Pilot
Aviation International
Air Force Magazine
Mad magazine
Hustler (for the articles ya know)

Too much online stuff like Bolmethod, others

Last edited:
Pilot Mag used to be my favorite but they went bankrupt.

Sport Aviation (EAA)
AOPA
Air & Space
Flying (mostly because I like Martha Lunken's columns; the rest of it is fair, at best)
Flight Training (AOPA)

What I dislike about the newsstand mags (Flying and Plane & Pilot especially) is that every other story seems to be about a crash or a near-miss.

When I first became interested in learning to fly, I stopped by the bookstore and picked up a few flying magazines. I'm sure many others do the same. These magazines are NOT the way to encourage someone to take up flying. All they lack are tear-out cards for funeral homes, life insurance companies, and probate attorneys.

What I dislike about the newsstand mags (Flying and Plane & Pilot especially) is that every other story seems to be about a crash or a near-miss.

When I first became interested in learning to fly, I stopped by the bookstore and picked up a few flying magazines. I'm sure many others do the same. These magazines are NOT the way to encourage someone to take up flying. All they lack are tear-out cards for funeral homes, life insurance companies, and probate attorneys.

I'll disagree here. When I was learning to fly I devoured aviation magazines and mistakes, crashes, all of it. I learned a lot just by reading those type of articles. Hopefully not what to do, and from others **** ups. Served me well so far.

I'll disagree here. When I was learning to fly I devoured aviation magazines and mistakes, crashes, all of it. I learned a lot just by reading those type of articles. Hopefully not what to do, and from others **** ups. Served me well so far.

Oh, I agree, once you start training. Not only the mags, but I read several books with lessons learned from crashes and near misses. It's a vital part of learning.

But the guy who's just thinking that it might be fun to try flying is another story. We shouldn't give him the impression that this is a death-defying activity more dangerous than going over Niagra in a barrel.

And if his wife happens to pick his copy and leaf through it,.....

Unless they’re sitting in the FBO next to the couches, I don’t ever read them. It’s all online nowadays anyway.
Since I won't take my tablet into the bathroom, I subscribe to Flying, Plane & Pilot, and Kitplanes.

Sport Aviation (EAA)
AOPA
Air & Space
Flying (mostly because I like Martha Lunken's columns; the rest of it is fair, at best)
Flight Training (AOPA)
I like Peter Garrison's columns, as well. He's written a couple based on books that I've sent to him (I hound old bookstores for aviation and astronomy stuff). And Martha is "as represented", I've been to several safety seminars hosted by her, though it's been nearly two decades at this point.

I'd like to join EAA and AOPA, but I can't afford anymore subscriptions lol

My last magazine subscription of any type, (Flying Mag) ran out a few months ago.

I am now subscription free, and I am perfectly content.

I can get all the subject matter knowledge I need online. For free.

At the height of my magazine subscription days, (in the 80s or 90s) I probably subscribe to 15 magazines. No more. Technology marches on.

I don't get any magazine subscriptions but I do like the Boldmethod and General Aviation articles that I get emailed every week or 2.

What’s everyone’s opinion of the pilot magazines out there? Anyone find one better than another?

I get Flying as a NAFI perk. I suscribe to:
IFR (the best)
IFRR
AOPA Pilot
FlightTraining
Aviation Safety
Aviation Consumer (will not renew)
General Aviation News

I subscribe to:

EAA Sport Aviation
AOPA Pilot
Flying
Air Force Magazine (AFA)
Aviation Week & Space Technology
Kitplanes
Smithsonian Air & Space

...and I read them all.

On-line:
AVweb

I really miss Air Facts (Leighton and Richard Collins)

I dropped them all after a few years, they were like shampoo, rinse and repeat.

Plane & Pilot Magazine, digital, downloaded free from the local library's website
Flying Magazine, digital, downloaded free from the local library's website
AOPA Pilot, dead tree edition, in case I run out of battery on the iPad.

Subscribe to AOPA. Only subscribed to EAA because I needed the Dynon D-100 STC and you had to be a member to get it. Sport Aviation was way better when the old man was running the show.

AOPA
Aviation consumer
Sport pilot
Ifr
Ifr

Best for me is piper flyer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Two magazines come in the mail (for flying) these days. EAA Sport Aviation and AOPA Pilot. I used to get Flying (and do miss Martha's column), but I really don't miss it.

IFR, Aviation Safety, and Twin and Turbine are frontrunners for me. EAAs is usually excellent too.

I find that I learn the most from Kitplanes. It's an excellent magazine these days and covers much more than just building planes from kits. I rank it higher than AOPA Pilot and EAA Sport Aviation, which I also get.

Larry

Back