Pilot Log Entry Question: Single Entry or Multiple Entries

@Tarheelpilot i had a retired United 747 Captain tell me to put some P51 time in my logbook. I said I've never flown a Mustang. He said no dummy, Parker 51, the pen! :cool:

ps no way I'd do that btw

I can't tell if that's a suggestion to forge entries, to spend more time carefully logging your flights, or if it's a recommendation for a specific type of pen :)

I log as one line unless there’s something different about the legs or there are specific details I want to log. Mostly just because I’m lazy.

Most pilots I know don’t log GA flights. But most pilots I know are airline pilots and don’t need the GA flights for currency, and the rest don’t seem to care.

Anybody that puts any importance on whether I log one or two lines or use a green pen has lost my respect anyway. Couldn’t care less what they think.

I actually log all flights in a digital log and only log flights I took dual instruction in my paper log. That way instructors can sign a physical log. I scan their sigs and put it in the digital log, but they can make a traditional log and signature for the flight. 3 or 4 times a year I print the digital log and put it with my paper log. So how’s that for consistency?

[QUOTE="I sure think its easier to just enter one line for the day. Same hours either way. In this case its not even a Cross Country so its not about hour building or training pre-requisites."
:)[/QUOTE]

Actually it is a cross country and you can log it as such. If you depart airport "A" and land somewhere else (even in an emergency landing on a highway) you can log it as cross country. However, to count for a pilot rating the cross country must be more than 50NM straight line distant. Nit picking, no. On your insurance application you can count all cross country time no matter what distance and that just might get you a lower rate for your insurance.

Meh. I’m a pro too and the logging is structured around the operation. If I’m flying ag often it’s the same airplane from the same airport 8 to 30 times per day for weeks at a time. That gets logged monthly. If I’m 121/135 that gets logged daily. Fun flying is more narrow in focus because it’s normally associated with an event I want to be reminded of one day when I’m to old to remember. Neat entries, archival ink and no lying gets it done just fine for me. The bottom line is your books are yours and mine are mine. Short of lying to get a job or not meeting the far requirement for logging recency of experience there’s no wrong way.
Yea I’d rather just make it as neat and consistent as possible. Again, I’ve heard some stories of logbook Nazis during 121 interviews.

Yea I’d rather just make it as neat and consistent as possible. Again, I’ve heard some stories of logbook Nazis during 121 interviews.
Yeah, but I've also heard stories about logbook gripes about regulatorily correct entries.

So you can log for the idiosyncratic nonsense of all the mini-dictators you might encounter in your career or simply follow correct procedures.

Yeah, but I've also heard stories about logbook gripes about regulatorily correct entries.

So you can log for the idiosyncratic nonsense of all the mini-dictators you might encounter in your career or simply follow correct procedures.
Well seeing as I have to appease the logbook Nazis, I’m going to log it however they want it to be logged.

Oh not just stories. They are pricks about it. I’m to old to make it to the major leagues so my give a **** meter is pretty low on what those people think plus their basis for hiring is based on ******** anyway. I decided not to worry about it. But as I said that’s my choice. Your situation is different. You’re young enough and hit the industry swings so you have a chance at a good career. I on the other hand got my first seniority number in ‘00, was layed off in ‘01, enjoyed watching the age 65 change hit and finally got back to a 121 in time for the Great Recession of ‘08. I really don’t care what anyone thinks about my logbook at this point.

You probably should ;-)

Oh not just stories. They are pricks about it. I’m to old to make it to the major leagues so my give a **** meter is pretty low on what those people think plus their basis for hiring is based on ******** anyway. I decided not to worry about it. But as I said that’s my choice. Your situation is different. You’re young enough and hit the industry swings so you have a chance at a good career. I on the other hand got my first seniority number in ‘00, was layed off in ‘01, enjoyed watching the age 65 change hit and finally got back to a 121 in time for the Great Recession of ‘08. I really don’t care what anyone thinks about my logbook at this point.

You probably should ;-)
For sure. Once I get to my career destination I won’t care what it looks like!

Well seeing as I have to appease the logbook Nazis, I’m going to log it however they want it to be logged.
What if you run into two who want it differently than the other?

(BTW, I prefer people didn't trivialize the word "nazi.")

The only thing that matters is if you are using it for proving experience for a rating. If so it must comply wit 61.51. The entry must contain the required info. If it does not contain all the info called out in 61.51 an examiner could not accept the time.
I always warned FOs that logged by the day that an anal examiner could disqualify all the entries when they went for their atp if they logged by day because it doesn't contain aircraft Id and origination and destination as per 61.51

Bob

Same day, I use one line: MUHA-KEYW-KPBI-KFXE, 3.4Hrs etc.

Same with out and back (as long as it is same day): KRNO-KMAN-KRNO, 5.1Hrs etc.

If it is different aircraft, they get separate lines.

Thanks everyone! I was off making a log entry (cross country) happen on Saturday! And my wife called the plane on Sunday...I knew that would happen once it hit 60 degrees :)

Well, the consensus seems to be: Do whatever you like, it all adds up the same.

So I am going to keep logging these on a single line, unless they span multiple days. For multiple days I think I would prefer separate entries for each day. And of course, any certification based flights will get their own entries. Since I'm not making this a career, I can live with fewer logbooks.

So I am going to keep logging these on a single line, unless they span multiple days. For multiple days I think I would prefer separate entries for each day.

Someone joked here once that in order to maintain currency once, they logged a flight in UTC... which kept it on the same "day" that way. LOL...

That's pushing it, but it was funny.

"Day" means less than in the real-world, in the faster multiple time-zone traveling machines... for logging. Of course it comes into play on numerous other maintenance items and medicals and other paperwork... :)

Someone joked here once that in order to maintain currency once, they logged a flight in UTC... which kept it on the same "day" that way. LOL...

That's pushing it, but it was funny.

"Day" means less than in the real-world, in the faster multiple time-zone traveling machines... for logging. Of course it comes into play on numerous other maintenance items and medicals and other paperwork... :)
See, I'm definitely not ATP material...hadn't even given the day thing at thought. Its hard enough to remember its +5 for me right now :)

It doesn't really matter, but I usually use the same line for a RT XC, even with multiple stops along the way. That might change when I own a plane, but it just makes it easier with rentals to do so that way.

I log trips on one line as that was how my instructor logged my first flight. He also used his left hand, so I try to do that now as well, but it isn't quite as legible as when I get lazy and use my right hand to log the flight. I'm not sure why he used his left hand, thought it was kind of weird, but do as instructor does and all that...

I log trips on one line as that was how my instructor logged my first flight. He also used his left hand, so I try to do that now as well, but it isn't quite as legible as when I get lazy and use my right hand to log the flight. I'm not sure why he used his left hand, thought it was kind of weird, but do as instructor does and all that...
Could he have been......left handed :)

I log as one line unless there’s something different about the legs or there are specific details I want to log.

Same here. Different days/aircraft/type of flight = different lines. Same aircraft/day, even though I went to B to pick up a friend and then to C for lunch and then back to B to drop off and then home to A, that's all on the same line.

Back