Pilot Egos

Why is that?

Because thinking that flying a citation X straight and level for hours on end in the flight levels is somehow better than flying say a PA 18 off gravel bars is sooo very flawed I don't even know where to start, or vise versa, I'd expect that thought process from a 172CFI who just got his first regional FO job, not from a experienced pilot who should know better.

Because thinking that flying a citation X straight and level for hours on end in the flight levels is somehow better than flying say a PA 18 off gravel bars is sooo very flawed I don't even know where to start, or vise versa, I'd expect that thought process from a 172CFI who just got his first regional FO job, not from a experienced pilot who should know better.
You quoted “most of us have flown small airplanes and moved on”. Then you said “that fails in so many ways”.

That’s what I questioned here.

And PS. The citation X rarely flies for hours. It can get anywhere pretty fast.

Plus you only say that because you’ve never flown a citation X. If you had to go through the rigurous training every six months you may disagree.

Plus you only say that because you’ve never flown a citation X. If you had to go through the rigurous training every six months you may disagree.

Saying you've "moved on from" flying small planes, as if flying larger stuff is more evolved or requires more skill or something, but you know this.

Have I flown a citation, nope, in this climate could I get a citation gig in under a month if I wanted, sure, but I do the same 6mo rides you do, and in some ways I'd wager some of my flying is a little more intense.

But that's the thing, saying one type of flying is better or whatever, or even more obtuse that the size of the plane means jack is down right silly

Saying you've "moved on from" flying small planes, as if flying larger stuff is more evolved or requires more skill or something, but you know this.

Have I flown a citation, nope, in this climate could I get a citation gig in under a month if I wanted, sure, but I do the same 6mo rides you do, and in some ways I'd wager some of my flying is a little more intense.

But that's the thing, saying one type of flying is better or whatever, or even more obtuse that the size of the plane means jack is down right silly
I’ve flown several types, and yes, generally speaking the larger the airplane the more complex it gets.
I fly the Airbus, but they specifically won’t teach you too much about this airplane. Only what you need to know.

But in general yes, people do move on from the single engine stuff that you fly.
If that’s what you’re happy with, fine.
It’s just that most pros strive for larger equipment. Obviously not all.

I’ve flown several types, and yes, generally speaking the larger the airplane the more complex it gets.
I fly the Airbus, but they specifically won’t teach you too much about this airplane. Only what you need to know.

But in general yes, people do move on from the single engine stuff that you fly.
If that’s what you’re happy with, fine.
It’s just that most pros strive for larger equipment. Obviously not all.

Lol, you think it takes more skill to fly monkey see monkey do paint by number, following the magenta line waaaay up there in a highly automated plane on a standard aka wearing the air out molecules route, than real dynamic flying? Just because the plane is complex, doesn't mean the flying is

Ether way, each is different, personally I'm not a "pro" as I don't have have gold bars on my shirts, a gut, rolley bag or ho hum life, I just chase the fun flying and good QOL, it's not the size of your airframe, it's how you use the hours of your life.

Last edited:
Lol, you think it takes more skill to fly monkey see monkey do paint by number, following the magenta line waaaay up there in a highly automated plane on a standard aka wearing the air out molecules route, than real dynamic flying?

Ether way, each is different, personally I'm not a "pro" as I don't have have gold bars on my shirts, a gut, rolley bag or ho hum life, I just chase the fun flying and good QOL, it's not the size of your airframe, it's how you use the hours of your life.
Yup. It’s different flying a big airplane. I was also in denial at first... until it kicked my behind. You speak of energy management?? Try coming down and slowing down at the A321 landing weight of roughly 170,000 pounds. Slowing down even while level takes several miles... especially when you’re coming from 330 kts.
It’s not the same. And if you think the Bus is about following a magenta line.... you have no clue how wrong you are.

Last edited:
Demographics wise, I'll stick to my dynamic single pilot flying and our pilots.

Demographics wise, I'll stick to my dynamic single pilot flying and our pilots.
Huh??? Basically you called us monkeys, and this is your response?

Quite frankly I have no clue what your post is suppose to mean.

What ride did you do?
In this situation it may actually be good to Hijak a thread...

CFI SE add on, FINALLY. I put the write up in my Airport Bum thread just now. Passed. Strange ride.

Strange because of my mental state being in a weird place. Haven’t really done that before. Anyway, it’s all in the write up.

CFI SE add on, FINALLY. I put the write up in my Airport Bum thread just now. Passed. Strange ride.

Strange because of my mental state being in a weird place. Haven’t really done that before. Anyway, it’s all in the write up.
Lol!!! I’ll go read the write up. Didn’t see it yet. I’m assuming it may take a few days to upload.

Anyway.. congratulations!!

Lol, you think it takes more skill to fly monkey see monkey do paint by number, following the magenta line waaaay up there in a highly automated plane on a standard aka wearing the air out molecules route, than real dynamic flying? Just because the plane is complex, doesn't mean the flying is

What a clueless statement. Read my earlier post about energy management but anyone who thinks the Bus is “monkey see monkey do”, really should fly the Bus just once... Should we do it in normal law and give the guy a break, or should we do an MFORS and eventually have him fly it in direct law??

gv8MYkt.jpg

giphy.gif

What a clueless statement. Read my earlier post about energy management but anyone who thinks the Bus is “monkey see monkey do”, really should fly the Bus just once... Should we do it in normal law and give the guy a break, or should we do an MFORS and eventually have him fly it in direct law??

Hey, those Chinese kids who can hardly fly PIC in a 172 seem to leave the US after training and fly em lol

Who has the biggest ego on POA?

Wait....don’t answer that!

Who has the biggest ego? My 11F buddies fo sho'. My favorite quote from a buddy of mine talking in mixed company, an airline pilot himself nowadays no less: "Look, everything you guys do, in your busiest day.. that's just the motherhood for us". :eek: It's like an umbrage grenade goes off in the room, it's impossible to look away. :D:D

The reality is that when it comes to flying, my real life heroes are a couple helo pilots I know, and I got zero hours in those abnormal contraptions ;). Most humble guys you'll meet too, but I guess that's what happens when you get shot down and live to come back to your life stateside.

@Kritchlow and @James331
Over the last twenty years of my career I have flown part 91 corporate in piston and turbine twins, Lifeguard in turboprops and jets, law enforcement support in piston singles, Supplemental 121 in Boeing equipment, Scheduled 121 in Embraer’s jungle bus, Crop dusting in piston/turbine airplanes and turbine helicopters and flight instruction in the normal rental equipment. All of the jobs had unique challenges and many things in common. AG flying is extremely unforgiving with very small margins. One of the AG aircraft I have flown operated with a type rating waiver because the normal take off weight was over 16k lbs (more than the MGTOW of my first jet type). The environment is very harsh and deadly for pilots that don’t manage risk to a very high degree. Airline flying had its own type of risk factors but in some ways was easier than ag while more challenging in others. My point is any mission where an airman is paid to accomplish a task requires a professional attitude and skill/knowledge to accomplish it safely.

When anyone tells me how their particular job is better, harder etc. they are telling me more about what they don’t know rather than what they do know.

Hey, those Chinese kids who can hardly fly PIC in a 172 seem to leave the US after training and fly em lol
That’s the thing about the Bus. It *can* be very easy to fly if you are flying in a third world country. It will slow down for you and everything.... 60 miles from the airport. That doesn’t work in Chicago. We are constantly overriding the automation. Tweak, the speed, and the decent profile is screwed up. Tweak the decent profile and perhaps you can’t keep your speed. Tweak either and you may not have a stabilized approach.
The automation works great if you’re in east bumblefich and can slow to approach speed way out. I’ll give you that. But here in the states we are constantly tricking the airplane to adhere to the profile we need.

That’s the thing about the Bus. It *can* be very easy to fly if you are flying in a third world country. It will slow down for you and everything.... 60 miles from the airport. That doesn’t work in Chicago. We are constantly overriding the automation. Tweak, the speed, and the decent profile is screwed up. Tweak the decent profile and perhaps you can’t keep your speed. Tweak either and you may not have a stabilized approach.
The automation works great if you’re in east bumblefich and can slow to approach speed way out. I’ll give you that. But here in the states we are constantly tricking the airplane to adhere to the profile we need.
Sounds like bad engineering. You should send an email to the boss and recommend Boeing equipment. :p

This rant has some passion but fails to convince the casual reader of the serious nature of not just intersecting patterns but for all practical purposes intersecting runways. While the runways don’t quite touch, landing traffic to each will potentially conflict at low altitude. Add in the fact the ranter was non-compliant with the ANG demanded right traffic and we have a ranting mess. At best this rant can only be given only two out of ten. Perhaps the ranter can beg the listless Sac to mentor their rant game to acceptable levels.

And 35 is long enough to land 3 or 5 times.

About a month ago on a nice Saturday, I flew my wife to Pick N Pig (dozens of other pilots had the same idea). I announced inboand to land just over 10 miles out. I announced at 5 miles. I announced my intentions to enter the 45 downwind. I followed behind another plane and announced my extended downwind. I announced left base. I announced final. AND THEN AN AIRPLANE WAITING TO TAKEOFF gets on the radio and says "I guess we're not using the radio today".

Poor guy must have been sitting there for lots of seconds waiting for the landing traffic. What an inconvenience for others to be using the restaurant/airstrip at the same time as him. The audacity!!!!

My Cherokee is unmarked. Maybe he thought it was a 140?? I told him it's a 180. He was probably ok after that. ;)

About a month ago on a nice Saturday, I flew my wife to Pick N Pig (dozens of other pilots had the same idea). I announced inboand to land just over 10 miles out. I announced at 5 miles. I announced my intentions to enter the 45 downwind. I followed behind another plane and announced my extended downwind. I announced left base. I announced final. AND THEN AN AIRPLANE WAITING TO TAKEOFF gets on the radio and says "I guess we're not using the radio today".

Poor guy must have been sitting there for lots of seconds waiting for the landing traffic. What an inconvenience for others to be using the restaurant/airstrip at the same time as him. The audacity!!!!

My Cherokee is unmarked. Maybe he thought it was a 140?? I told him it's a 180. He was probably ok after that. ;)

Probably had his volume turned off. :D

I would have said "Maybe you need to get your radio antenna checked".

Or just “Are you hearing us?” No point in the snark but if he doesn’t respond you at least know he’s essentially NORDO and can treat him as such for your own ops.

Probably had his volume turned off. :D
It certainly wouldn’t be the first time it has happened. Checking receive volume is one reason to break the practice of using one radio for weather and the other radio for coms.

It certainly wouldn’t be the first time it has happened. Checking receive volume is one reason to break the practice of using one radio for weather and the other radio for coms.

Some fancy new radios have a receive indicator you can eyeball after that first transmission. :)

Too bad it wasn’t more ubiquitous in aviation radios. Lots of radios in other services have had them for decades.

My habit is to use my King for ATIS and first call to ground is on the GTN, but I’m a radio guy so if not at a towered airport and I haven’t heard anything from a radio, I’ll completely habitually and without thinking about it at all, open the squelch on the suspect radio momentarily.

Same deal with the home ham shack rigs if I’m expecting to hear something going on on the FM rigs where squelch is used.

Basically if it’s been quiet too long, I’ll hit the open squelch button or turn the knob, depending on squelch style. My fingers just do it.

Also helps when low altitude and Center forgets to switch transmitters in the boonies. I popped the squelch open and turned the volume down when I thought ABQ Center had gone too long without a transmission and sure enough, there they were, weak, talking away. When they did finally have something to say to me they didn’t switch transmitter sites. I replied and said they were weak. Controller flipped the switch and boom, perfect copy as he repeated himself (he didn’t have to, I already acknowledged).

The “new” digital radios in other services besides aviation make me cringe a bit when operating them at the limits of range. No squelch to open, all you can do is wait and see if someone is there or not there. Very cell phone-ish.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back