Pilot arrested for DUI blows .00

DFH65

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
DFH65
Not sure if this has been done before didn't know what to search for. Long video.

Short version is guy is arrested for DUI in Colorado. Submits to a breathalyzer and blows .00 cop coerces him to get a blood test because the department is incented heavily to make DUI arrests. Blood test comes back negative as well. Video mentions the FAA at 15:10. Would love to know how this ended up. It is really unfortunate that the guy couldn't find an independent lab that would give him a blood test.

Wow I saw that video and man, that guy was really smart and didn't panic. I'm usually on the polices' side but this officer should be prosecuted and fired. Shutting off the audio should be illegal and automatically charged with evidence tampering. I can understand why you would want a blood test since you can be impaired with other medications but this officer just was just on a fishing expedition. A lot would have been justifiable but he shot himself in the foot with saying that the guy reeked of alcohol. I think once the driver heard that, he probably knew he should just shut up and go with the flow.

Elias has two federal suits going, one against Loveland and the other on Fort Collins alleging the DUI incentives have led to countless arrests without cause.

Elias has two federal suits going, one against Loveland and the other on Fort Collins alleging the DUI incentives have led to countless arrests without cause.

There was also Conn County, GA Sherrif’s department’s ‘Drug Whisperer’.

On appeal at the 11th Circuit, judgement was in favor of Cobb County. It didn’t help defendant’s counsel openly lied in court, denied it, had the record read back, and was subsequently admonished for lying.

Lots of focus on “preventing” a crime (that may or may not be happening).

Not much focus on prosecuting crimes that actually occurred.

What can he expect from the FAA for such a situation?

Looked up his pilot cert, he got an IR ASEL cert with a date of 06/23 and a 3rd class medical. The video discusses inhibiting career aspects, but it doesn't seem super likely he'd be worried about it for a career move, so I don't know if I trust the videos statement on the possible FAA effects.

Edit: The arrest was in 2022 so clearly the FAA hasn't kept a suspension on his license.

You guys might want to read the implied consent law in your state. The officer may administer tests. In most states that includes as many tests as the officer wants including several breath tests urine and blood.

You guys might want to read the implied consent law in your state. The officer may administer tests. In most states that includes as many tests as the officer wants including several breath tests urine and blood.
Probably going to get settled out of court anyway. I doubt the defendants legal team wants to try and make the case that there was reasonable suspicion for the first test, much less additional testing after the breathalyzer came back clear. Showing abuse of power and such are probably going to be easy shots for the plaintiff to make.

Probably going to get settled out of court anyway. I doubt the defendants legal team wants to try and make the case that there was reasonable suspicion for the first test, much less additional testing after the breathalyzer came back clear. Showing abuse of power and such are probably going to be easy shots for the plaintiff to make.
My point is if you blow, the police my request more tests and if you refuse you are going to be suspended and the FAA is going to act accordingly.

My point is if you blow, the police my request more tests and if you refuse you are going to be suspended and the FAA is going to act accordingly.
if they demand a second test after a 0.0 on their equipment they are treading on an forth amendment suit. they have no RAS, let alone probable cause for a second test. the police state at its best. just google loveland police abuse and see how bad that department is.

if they demand a second test after a 0.0 on their equipment they are treading on an forth amendment suit. they have no RAS, let alone probable cause for a second test. the police state at its best. just google loveland police abuse and see how bad that department is.
No only can they require a second test, they can transport you to another location and test you with a different machine.

When being pulled over, it's a tough call how much to cooperate. Anything you say can be used against you. But if you say nothing that can be used against you too, leading to the kind of treatment seen here. It's not right but it's the real world.

I think there are simple, short things you can say in order to show cooperation, like "I have had nothing to drink", "I am not under the influence of alcohol or any other drugs." "I slowed down to read a street sign." Short, simple and non-argumentative statements like this could have given him a better outcome than refusing to speak - which is of course your right, but just because you have the legal right to do so, doesn't mean exercising that right is always the best course of action.

All that said, this guy was mistreated. I hope his suit is successful and forces the police department to change policy and methods.

No only can they require a second test, they can transport you to another location and test you with a different machine.
forth amendment says otherwise, i don't really care what the stormtroopers think. comply, then hit them with a section 1983 suit for violation of the forth amendment. the only way the police state stop is when people know their rights and start standing up for them.

forth amendment says otherwise, i don't really care what the stormtroopers think. comply, then hit them with a section 1983 suit for violation of the forth amendment. the only way the police state stop is when people know their rights and start standing up for them.
When you accepted a drivers license, you agreed to provide tests. Refuse at you own peril.

yes, but the forth amendment still applies and terry v ohio also. they can't hold you and conduct tests after their probable cause has been proven wrong by the first test. also i never said refuse, i said comply under protest and then file suit for abuse of your forth amendment rights.

I know a guy hoodwinked into HIMS having bled a 0.0

Airline, that’s his union hard at work… geesh

Worse, the FAA allows that.

Ran into one of these situations several years ago in a small Indianapolis suburb, going home late at night.
Pulled over for nothing after leaving a bar pool tournament. When he said he was going to give me a breathalyzer, I laughed and told him “You know you pulled over the only guy in the bar that doesn’t drink, right?” That PO’d him and he made me go through the whole song and dance.

Toward the end he was getting really mad, and tried to trigger me saying, “You’re a real smart ass, you know that?” To which I unthinkingly immediately clipped, “You know, I have been told that before!”. Second cop that had shown up burst out laughing, other guy walked away. Second cop said you are free to go.

Anyone have an update on this lawsuit? Been over a year since the video and almost 4 yrs since his arrest.

I saw that a while back - my take is he was impaired, he knew it, and he delayed as much as possible. It doesn't have to be alcohol that causes the impairment. I understand that's why some departments ask for the acrobatic field sobriety tests before asking for the driver to blow - to show probable cause the driver was likely impaired by some substance, even it wasn't alcohol. A blood alcohol test over the limit is great evidence, but they do get convictions for DUI without chemical tests for drugs - I guess if a cop's the body cam and his testimony shows a driver to be obviously impaired the driver's lawyer will get them to plead out.

I know it's not this generation, or all kids. We just hired 4 new people, all 25 or under, and they're just solid employees. Good work ethic, balanced outlook on things, not hot heads, they'd fit right into the world in the 40's.

I saw that a while back - my take is he was impaired, he knew it, and he delayed as much as possible
I've heard of that but that's usually the point of the blood tests because they screen for all sorts of stuff. I've heard of people getting DWI with diphenhydramine in their system. He had none of these and he should have been cleared. My understanding is to never consent to the roadside tests because at that point they have already committed to taking you in and they are just looking to get more evidence but i'm not a lawyer

I've heard of that but that's usually the point of the blood tests because they screen for all sorts of stuff. I've heard of people getting DWI with diphenhydramine in their system. He had none of these and he should have been cleared. My understanding is to never consent to the roadside tests because at that point they have already committed to taking you in and they are just looking to get more evidence but i'm not a lawyer

I believe he was cleared after the blood results came back.

You are right about the roadside tests. If you are in fact impaired you are probably already done by the time the officer asks you to perform the tests. The only variable, at least in my state, is whether you lose your license for 30 days for testing over the limit, or a year for refusing chemical tests. Either way, you are likely looking at the same plea deal.

With this guy having civil cases pending against two different agencies, I'm wondering if he isn't putting on an act to get himself arrested when he isn't impaired so he can sue. He has awfully bad luck, otherwise.

With this guy having civil cases pending against two different agencies, I'm wondering if he isn't putting on an act to get himself arrested when he isn't impaired so he can sue. He has awfully bad luck, otherwise.

Honestly not a terrible strategy. That he got someone to bite on the first try is telling.

When I was 23 I had an undercover cops try to nail me for underage drinking. I gave them my name, address, and my ID as requested, and when they got pushy I said I was invoking my right to remain silent and did not say another word. If body camera footage was available it would have 5 million views on youtube. They accused me of selling drugs, cussed me up and down, offered to keep me out of jail if i confessed to why I was "being sketchy"

Yep. Best thing to do is simply shut up. I think there was a court case that says you need to verbally declare you are using your right to not talk.

“I had the right to remain silent, but I didn’t have the ability.” - Ron White

This is one of the reasons ... maybe THE reason ... section 18 asks about suspensions and convictions only and not mere arrests.

Honestly not a terrible strategy. That he got someone to bite on the first try is telling.

When I was 23 I had an undercover cops try to nail me for underage drinking. I gave them my name, address, and my ID as requested, and when they got pushy I said I was invoking my right to remain silent and did not say another word. If body camera footage was available it would have 5 million views on youtube. They accused me of selling drugs, cussed me up and down, offered to keep me out of jail if i confessed to why I was "being sketchy"

How do you know it was the first try, and if he is intentionally driving badly and acting impaired what is it telling us?

This kind of thing happens without bad intent. A driver texting or otherwise distracted will weave just like a drunk driver.

I remember a racer that I met one time. He had some sort of ailment and he walked like he was plastered all the time. I wondered what happened if he got pulled over and asked to ''walk the line''...

He could drive the dickens out of his race car though.!!

I saw that a while back - my take is he was impaired, he knew it, and he delayed as much as possible. It doesn't have to be alcohol that causes the impairment. I understand that's why some departments ask for the acrobatic field sobriety tests before asking for the driver to blow - to show probable cause the driver was likely impaired by some substance, even it wasn't alcohol. A blood alcohol test over the limit is great evidence, but they do get convictions for DUI without chemical tests for drugs - I guess if a cop's the body cam and his testimony shows a driver to be obviously impaired the driver's lawyer will get them to plead out.
That is, I think, why lawyers who do DIU defense (not me) recommend against doing roadside sobriety tests. They are subjective, won't convince the officer to let you go, and could provide evidence to use against you. If they think they have probable cause to demand the required certified tests, comply. Note, this is not legal advice and I am not anyone's lawyer on this issue nor am I knowledgeable about this topic.

That is, I think, why lawyers who do DIU defense (not me) recommend against doing roadside sobriety tests. They are subjective, won't convince the officer to let you go, and could provide evidence to use against you. If they think they have probable cause to demand the required certified tests, comply. Note, this is not legal advice and I am not anyone's lawyer on this issue nor am I knowledgeable about this topic.
My wife at one time sold custom packaging and got samples of the products. One time she came home with a Breathalyzer. I had a few swigs of alcohol and blew a perfect 0.0. I’ve never been much of a drinker so was never tempted to see if an official Breathalyzer would have the same result.

I've been told by those who know that if you're sober, you should demand they take your blood, and if you're drunk, you should take the breathalyzer.

Back