Talk about out of control...?!

Holy cow, how much misconduct can one officer commit?!

Haven't watched the news much lately?

And for the record, I very much back my brothers in blue. I also acknowledge there are good and bad in any flock of people, from priests, to police officers, to even criminals.

wow, how did it turn out.
Can I put Sarah's phone number on speed dial?

Sadly all it takes is one to make all look bad.

And I know it is a very tiny percentage of officers that should absolutely not be LEO.
Problem is by the time you figure out if the one that you are dealing with should not be a LEO, it’s too late.

wow, how did it turn out.

Just filed last week. Will be interesting. I'm a whole hearted supporter of law enforcement and have several friends who are in it but there's no doubt there's some bad eggs too. It's a shame when their own departments know it and let them continue. Perhaps a few tens of million dollars take from the city (well, their insurers) will remind them the rights of the citizens are paramount.

Just filed last week. Will be interesting. I'm a whole hearted supporter of law enforcement and have several friends who are in it but there's no doubt there's some bad eggs too. It's a shame when their own departments know it and let them continue. Perhaps a few tens of million dollars take form the city (well, their insurers) will remind them the rights of the citizens are paramount.

Sadly its usually a two fold combination that keeps those officers. Most departments are union, which helps protect officers from termination. Also, most departments are struggling to fill positions, especially today, so they can't afford to cut anyone. Not to mention the time and expense to train and certify a new officer.

Just filed last week. Will be interesting. I'm a whole hearted supporter of law enforcement and have several friends who are in it but there's no doubt there's some bad eggs too. It's a shame when their own departments know it and let them continue. Perhaps a few tens of million dollars take from the city (well, their insurers) will remind them the rights of the citizens are paramount.
FWIW a 'rat out' law just became effective in California this year. Cop sees misconduct and doesn't report it, he's gonna be in deep kimchee. Time will tell how it's going to work out.

Sadly all it takes is one to make all look bad.

And I know it is a very tiny percentage of officers that should absolutely not be LEO.

That's probably the case, but there's a very very high percentage of officers that turn their eyes an ears away and don't report the tiny percentage. Which in my book makes them just as bad or worse.

Why is an officer allowed to fiddle with the body cam? That is something that has allways puzzled me. What prevents a officer simply turning it off, and doing whatever he/she wants to do?

Why is an officer allowed to fiddle with the body cam? That is something that has allways puzzled me. What prevents a officer simply turning it off, and doing whatever he/she wants to do?
If you read the entire document you'll see exactly why he's allowed to fiddle with it. High DUI arrest rate = more funding for the department. Why would they tell him not to? Anytime law enforcement gets incentives you can expect corruption and outright lies.

If you read the entire document you'll see exactly why he's allowed to fiddle with it. High DUI arrest rate = more funding for the department. Why would they tell him not to? Anytime law enforcement gets incentives you can expect corruption and outright lies.
I understand that. That's why they should be on, and no way to turn it off, until your shift is over, and your super turns it off, back at the station.

True. Nobody ever complains about a few bad garbagemen, do they?

Nobody ever complains about a few bad garbagemen, do they?

Um.... yeah. Like last year when he was dumping more trash on the road than in the truck. A couple of phone calls plus pictures did the trick. Darn phones with cameras....

Trust me, good, honest, law abiding, constitution abiding cops want nothing more than to get rid of bad apples that snuck through. Problem is, once one bad cop ****s in the pool, all the swimmers are accused of having diarrhea.

Trust me, good, honest, law abiding, constitution abiding cops want nothing more than to get rid of bad apples that snuck through. Problem is, once one bad cop ****s in the pool, all the swimmers are accused of having diarrhea.

I support law enforcement and I think most are smart enough to know that this is not an example of LE as a whole. I just don't see any new and innovative ways to identify the bad apples. It just seems to be status quo until another bad cop gets caught, and then more of the same, "That's not representative of all police officers."

Imagine if we did that with aviation safety. "Well the vast majority of flights landed without fatalities," and then nothing was done to analyze what/why it happened and make changes to reduce the risk of reoccurrence.

I support law enforcement and I think most are smart enough to know that this is not an example of LE as a whole. I just don't see any new and innovative ways to identify the bad apples. It just seems to be status quo until another bad cop gets caught, and then more of the same, "That's not representative of all police officers."

You couldn't pay me to do the job they do. We live close to Baltimore City and that policing team is just screwed with a hostile city government and incompetent prosecutor. The city won't get better until that changes. However, there has been some significant wrongdoing by the police (https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/2/2/16961146/baltimore-gun-trace-task-force-trial). The Police Union and their contract lets things go on for far longer than they should. It's a fine line between protecting the wrongfully accused officers by an anti-police city gov and protecting the guilty of bad operations cops. I don't know how to fix it. In general, I think public service unions are a bad idea but I also understand in some cases why they exist.

THIS! Normally you can say there are a few bad apples ie: sociopathic cops on a power trip. But when you have financial incentive combined with low pay, even good people can succumb to doing things for more money. No doubt many cops are struggling to support a family. They see it as putting their kids first, so someone has a DUI, they’ll get over it, because the charge will be dismissed yet the arrest will count for me, so no harm done; in the meantime I need to pay my bills.

This is how good people can justify it. It’s not just the rare bad cop when you have systemic forces involving monetary reward.

- Officer Gates prides himself on having some of the highest DUI arrest rates in the State of Colorado. He is heard regularly boasting about it to drivers he is arresting on his various bodycam videos. He has received awards from MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) and his employing agency (Loveland Police Department) for having the highest DUI arrest numbers. At the time of this arrest, he was earning extra income as a result of his high DUI arrest numbers by virtue of those numbers gaining him overtime shifts (paid time and a half) to work DUI enforcement both for LPD and the RAID task force.

27.Grant funds obtained by the RAID task force are distributed to the member police agencies “according to the individual agency’s percentage of impaired driving citations issued in the immediately preceding year.” As a result, all of the participating agencies know to value quantity of DUI arrests over quality of DUI arrests.

28.The RAID task force also states in its formation documents that its objectives include “ensuring an appropriate level of media coverage” for each of the participating agencies to increase the funding and public support they receive.

The next event is a disposition hearing on February 14, at 1:30. This likely just sets up stuff for the future (discovery deadlines, trial date, etc..>).

I don't think I've ever seen anything that full of conjecture and hyperbole. Most of what is contained in that document are things they couldn't possibly know.

The whole things smacks more of entitled prick and shyster attorney than anything else.

I don't think I've ever seen anything that full of conjecture and hyperbole. Most of what is contained in that document are things they couldn't possibly know.

The whole things smacks more of entitled prick and shyster attorney than anything else.

I think I would trust the pilot who just blew 0.000 and came up clean on the blood test after being arrested for impaired driving (especially after the police officer repeatedly turned off his bodycam audio by accident).

I think I would trust the pilot who just blew 0.000 and came up clean on the blood test after being arrested for impaired driving (especially after the police officer repeatedly turned off his bodycam audio by accident).

Hard to do that when you're licking boots. Probably also thinks the officer in GA that ruined peoples lives by saying they were driving under the influence of pot (they weren't) is also a hero.

Most of that sounded easily documented. That said, we've only heard one said of the story. I'll be more interested to hear the judge or jury who decides this thing.

Hard to do that when you're licking boots. Probably also thinks the officer in GA that ruined peoples lives by saying they were driving under the influence of pot (they weren't) is also a hero.

Go ahead and jump to conclusions based only on allegations, without any proof whatsoever, from one side. I'll reserve judgement until both sides of the matter are heard and some proof is actually offered.

I was thinking the same thing. Then I saw it not as a "Statement of Facts" as it says. Some of that is obviously not 'the facts.' Some of it is the prosecutions statement of what they will be alleging the facts are. I'm just commenting on that. Not the rest of your post.

I was thinking the same thing. Then I saw it not as a "Statement of Facts" as it says. Some of that is obviously not 'the facts.' Some of it is the prosecutions statement of what they will be alleging the facts are. I'm just commenting on that. Not the rest of your post.

We'll find out soon enough. I'd be interested to know if they also filed a criminal complaint for civil rights violations with the FBI for this alleged egregious behavior. Of course, when you start talking to the FBI bad things can happen if you don't tell the truth.

Go ahead and jump to conclusions based only on allegations, without any proof whatsoever, from one side. I'll reserve judgement until both sides of the matter are heard and some proof is actually offered.

Let's see a 0.0 on the breathalyzer, and a 0.0 on the blood draw. Yeah, no proof there at all. Also no proof at all with the guy in Georgia either - which also resulted in numerous negative tests as proof against his outright lies. I can already tell what kind of person you are. Police are never wrong or corrupt, got it. No need for any further interaction.

While what the cop is alleged to have done certainly sounds horrible, it sounds like most of the grievance is the repercussions that he will face from the FAA. So maybe MedXpress is what should be re-evaluated first and foremost so that a rogue cop with a grudge can't tank your aviation career.

While what the cop is alleged to have done certainly sounds horrible, it sounds like most of the grievance is the repercussions that he will face from the FAA. So maybe MedXpress is what should be re-evaluated first and foremost...

Problem with that is all the plea deals that end up with an arrest, and a dismissal, or a change in charges which is why it was changed from "conviction" to "arrest" a few years back.

Most of that sounded easily documented. That said, we've only heard one said of the story. I'll be more interested to hear the judge or jury who decides this thing.

The trouble is, the other side of the story goes something like "I KNEW he was DUI when I saw him. And I'm good at this, got tons of awards, they even ask me to work extra to catch more people. You don't worry your silly little mind with this, let the professionals handle it."

At least for the poor pilot affected, he does get the satisfaction of checking yes to the 18w box, then saying 0 BAC, 0 blood sample, charges dropped." he might add "civil suit underway related to false arrest."

I have not jumped to conclusions on all allegations, but have concluded that he did blow a 0.000 and had a clean blood test, and was arrested. These 3 allegations are easy to confirm/refute, it would be ridiculous/malpractice to include them in the complaint if not true.

After reading that entire document, I'm wondering why the legal system seems so antiquated in it's language. "COMES NOW the Plaintiff, Harris Elias.." "Claims for relief" "Prayer for relief" ???

It's a wonder our American attorneys still don't wear wigs. I'm sure that there are enough lawyers on this forum to explain why.

Back