Pik 'n Pig update [pics]

Possum

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Frank
Flew into BQ1 for some radio work with Jeff at Sandhills Avionics and took a few pics of the Pik 'N Pig new construction. Word is they are expecting a February re-opening but they have a long way to go. It looks like there will not be an upstairs to the restaurant and overall size appears to be about the same. Great addition is the overhead radiant heat for the outdoor seating area. Landed on 31 which is always a pucker moment [need to trim the trees back a few feet!!!] . Came back and landed at Stanton's BBQ https://www.stantonsbbq.com/ and enjoyed some very good BBQ.
bq1 1.jpgIMG_6708.jpgbqi 2.jpg
Planes at Stanton's BBQ stantons.jpg

the pig.

I could be wrong, but I think they had the heaters before the fire.

i dont think the heaters hung up were there before…. will definitely attract more folks now..

care for a lil wager? I recall u being a bit of a gambling man......

There is a new restaurant at JNX that is really good called Low and Slow. It’s at the top of the Blue Line aviation building. Has an outdoor seating area that overlooks the airport. Highly recommend.

There is a new restaurant at JNX that is really good called Low and Slow. It’s at the top of the Blue Line aviation building. Has an outdoor seating area that overlooks the airport. Highly recommend.

yeah will def be checking that out in the near future. hopefully.

Uh oh. Eman, unless you have a counter picture, I see dishpan hands in your future.

upload_2021-12-5_8-39-27.jpeg

I have pictures dating back 5+ years also. I stopped taking pics of my bbq long ago, so we'll have to confirm with someone who works there when we get there. also, I believe they have a hose hookup so please come prepared.

i guess this is going to trial…. lol..
i love a good lunch…

remember, the time is prior to them rebuilding did they have these heaters.. not 5-10 years ago..

Off Google images. Searching yelp soon.

when was this photo taken?

too long ago.......they don't have that lil bbq you see at the front of the pic for a long time. regardless, it makes no difference, it was a failed attempt at what is essentially a losing wager for both of y'all. you see, you fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia...and only slightly less well known is this: Never go in against eman when pik n pig is on the line!

pic taken directly from the pig's FB page:

upload_2021-12-5_9-6-11.png

I have pictures dating back 5+ years also. I stopped taking pics of my bbq long ago, so we'll have to confirm with someone who works there when we get there. also, I believe they have a hose hookup so please come prepared.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pik+N+Pig/@35.3406538,-79.4372489,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipPdQS24VHQnokHIsA8doCDouZ-h-kApTn_u7eH3!2e10!3e12!6shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipPdQS24VHQnokHIsA8doCDouZ-h-kApTn_u7eH3=w203-h152-k-no!7i4000!8i3000!4m5!3m4!1s0x8854ac42ce21ef45:0xd3c1c55a1b07878a!8m2!3d35.3406538!4d-79.4372489

Sep 2020. I'm not in on the bet, just an private investigator. I also offer safety pilot services.

I'll help you wash if I'm there. But I'll probably be out of town.

you're not very good at this. if the heaters were up ONE DAY before the fire, eman gets his plane washed and free lunch. I can find pics going back 10 years also, that's just silly.

Actualily, I'm very good at this. And I was wrong.

Those heaters are not only installed, they are on, the night of the fire.

Too bad RDU Pilot never put me under contract, I would have missed finding this one.

DSC03528.JPG

These two pics pretty much seal the deal.The first pic is of the fire damage. The second pic
taken Friday December 3, 2021. I don't remember the radiant heat being there the last time I sat on the porch and it was a cool day. It does appear the radiant heat was installed at the time of the fire.
bq13.jpgIMG_6708.jpg

Burning it down just to expose the heaters? Tough crowd! :)

Love this place....had a tough call when traffic was departing uphill into the larger trees. I departed the other way, downhill, very slight tailwind, far fewer obstacles. Spent a good amount of my lunch time there just planning the takeoff. Such a great spot, I'm thrilled to hear they're coming back. KHRJ for fuel and this place for lunch nearly every time I head down to FL from NJ.

Burning it down just to expose the heaters? Tough crowd! :)

Love this place....had a tough call when traffic was departing uphill into the larger trees. I departed the other way, downhill, very slight tailwind, far fewer obstacles. Spent a good amount of my lunch time there just planning the takeoff. Such a great spot, I'm thrilled to hear they're coming back. KHRJ for fuel and this place for lunch nearly every time I head down to FL from NJ.

hhmmm, u thinking of the right place? I don't think there's any slope on the runway at all, that I can recall. trees on one side, yes, but not sure about a slope. of course maybe I'm just used to it at this point.

Is it open?

I've got the check it out...

Man, that unlike building ROCKS.

hhmmm, u thinking of the right place? I don't think there's any slope on the runway at all, that I can recall. trees on one side, yes, but not sure about a slope. of course maybe I'm just used to it at this point.
Yeah, there is a slope. The threshold for 31 is about 30'' higher than 13, so it's uphill toward the trees.

Last edited:
Yeah, there is a slope. The threshold for 31 is about 30'' higher than 13, so it's uphill toward the trees.

30”? Over 2500’? You call that a noticeable slope that requires extra planning? Where do you even get that information from, I wouldn’t think it’s even enough to put in the chart supplement. In fact it isn’t.

30”? Over 2500’? You call that a noticeable slope that requires extra planning? Where do you even get that information from, I wouldn’t think it’s even enough to put in the chart supplement. In fact it isn’t.
Duh. Fat fingers. 30 feet, not 30 inches. You should know by now I can't type worth a damn,

It's about 1.25 to 1.3%. Local knowledge. Or you can grab your GPS next time there and figure it out yourself if you are interested. I know it's not in the CS. Remember that not that long ago, this was a private use airport. Takes time for everything to get in there. There are airports with significantly published in the CS. Check out Orange, MA (KORE) with a CS-published 0.4% slope.

A lot depends on what is in the way once you are in the air. On balance, it's not significant enough for me on a to change direction if the winds favor 13 but someone operating near max gross (especially after lunch!) might just want to pull out the performance tables considering takeoff is over a 50' obstacle.

interestingly, Pilot Workshops used BQ1 and this exact question in a VFR Mastery scenario a while back.

It's about 1.25 to 1.3%. Local knowledge. Or you can grab your GPS next time there and figure it out yourself if you are interested. I know it's not in the CS. Remember that not that long ago, this was a private use airport. Takes time for everything to get in there. There are airports with significantly published in the CS. Check out Orange, MA (KORE) with a CS-published 0.4% slope.

A lot depends on what is in the way once you are in the air. On balance, it's not significant enough for me on a to change direction if the winds favor 13 but someone operating near max gross (especially after lunch!) might just want to pull out the performance tables considering takeoff is over a 50' obstacle.

interestingly, Pilot Workshops used BQ1 and this exact question in a VFR Mastery scenario a while back.

really not sure what you're talking about. I've never heard a single person, local or not, refer to bq1 as having a slope. also, according to your #'s and my horrible math, it's a .03% slope. or, as it's called in aviation terms, not a slope.
"private use airport" has nothing to do with it. and it's not a private use airport, as we've discussed dozens of times, it's privately owned, two completely different things.
"A lot depends on what is in the way once you're in the air", uh, what?

really not sure what you're talking about. I've never heard a single person, local or not, refer to bq1 as having a slope. also, according to your #'s and my horrible math, it's a .03% slope. or, as it's called in aviation terms, not a slope.
"private use airport" has nothing to do with it. and it's not a private use airport, as we've discussed dozens of times, it's privately owned, two completely different things.
"A lot depends on what is in the way once you're in the air", uh, what?
They are generally called "obstacles."

BTW, did you catch my correction? 35 feet over 2500 feet.

it was private use for years before becoming public use. Kinda what "not long ago...was" means,

You notice those upslope trees more closely in a 65HP taildragger...

Next time I’m departing downslope, tailwind or no!

Back