kath

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Technical Administrator
Display Name

Display name:
Katherine
Hi, all,

A perfectly clear morning dawned in Alaska... spring is here! It snowed last week, but today it was 60 degrees... the garage sales are out, the trees are sprouting little green leaflets, the sun is going down at 11:00pm, the farmer's market is back.... Oh Ye Gods, it is wonderful. Best of all, finals week at UAA has come and gone and I am a free woman.

Time to shake the rust off the ol' C-150 piloting skills. I was flying solo. Took off from Merrill Field and headed south, to explore Turnagain Arm. This is a fjord-like wide-but-shallow body of water cut between the mountains by glaciers, just south of Anchorage. The pictures are as follows:

1) The "entrance" to Turnagain Arm (left side) -- down below you can see the Seward Highway which goes from Anchorage to Girdwood and Seward... This is a great "Gee, what lies around this corner?" shot.

2) The "entrance" to Turnagain Arm (right side) -- there's very little in the way of human habitation on the other side

3) Mountains. A cool shot of the black/white contrasts that are emerging as the snow melts

4) More mountains. Neat reflecting light!

5) Portage lake and glacier. You can see how much the glacier has receded in the last 10 years... when I remember going there last, it felt as if you could practically touch the glacier from the parking lot on the near shore of the lake, even in summer. I didn't get very many other pictures of the Glacier, because I was busy planning and executing a "gemme-outta-here" turn over the lake before finding myself on the other side of narrow Portage Pass... or worse. The glacier is basically The End of Turnagain Arm; here there be big craggy rocks!

6) More mountains. More, more, more....

Most Alaskan pilots seem to consider 2000 feet to be plenty high for just about all flying. They seem to like to stay below level of the tops of the mountains on either side of whatever canyon they're flying in because it's less bumpy, but (as you can tell from the pictures) I like to fly higher. The amazing thing about flying above the mountaintop level is that you can see how incredibly VAST the mountain ranges are. Past the closest peaks, there are more peaks, and into the infinite distance there are more peaks, and more peaks, and more peaks...... they just go on and on and ON. Pictures simply cannot capture it!

I listened in on Anchorage Approach until the reception died in the canyons. But I overheard a Navion call in that he'd lost his engine. He'd run a fuel tank dry and was attempting to switch to another tank and get the engine re-started. "I might have to put down in the mud flats," he said at one point. Reception was intermittent, but I did hear him finally announce that he'd successfully gotten the engine restarted... :hairraise:

1.7 Hobbs.

--Kath

Attachments

• entrance_left.jpg
    entrance_left.jpg
    441.6 KB · Views: 60
  • entrance_right.jpg
    entrance_right.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 60
  • black_and_white2.jpg
    black_and_white2.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 38
  • white_glow2.jpg
    white_glow2.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 37
  • portage_lake1.jpg
    portage_lake1.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 54
  • kenai_mountains2.jpg
    kenai_mountains2.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 43
Kath,

Looks like your long harsh winter is starting to pay off now. 11 pm for a sunset...wow. That must be pretty awesome. Have you seen the northern lights yet?

Just...Oh WOW! Look at all the places to go explore! :goofy: That's beautiful.

A friend of mine is somewhere up there right now, Anchorage, Seward, Denali. I got two postcards that basically say hurry up, pack now, leave, come here.

HPNFlyGirl said:
11 pm for a sunset...wow. That must be pretty awesome. Have you seen the northern lights yet?

The late sun is making it VERY hard to get to sleep.

The only auroras I've seen up here were (ironicly) from 30,000 feet on an airliner heading south, back in December... of course now there will be no auroras for a while. We're not north enough to be the "land of the midnight sun"... more like the "land of the midnight dusk"...

Also it's getting impossible to be night current. :D

--Kath

Hey Cath, what's the air temp like at the surface up there now? I love your pictures and would like to live up there, but haven't been able to convince my wife.

Great pics. Thanks. I'm preparing to make my 1st flight to Alaska and your photos are a welcome reminder that it's going to be worth the effort, time, and cost.

TMetzinger said:
Hey Cath, what's the air temp like at the surface up there now? I love your pictures and would like to live up there, but haven't been able to convince my wife.

Right now it's 50 F. It should warm up to about 60 later today, and at night it's down to about 35.
The winters are not that cold (at least here in Anch). It's like the winter in Minneapolis or Chicago... except that the winter season is longer. And darker.

Here's the forecast for today:
Area Forecast

COOK INLET AND SUSITNA VLY AB...VALID UNTIL 150200
...CLOUDS/WX...
SCT050 SCT080 SCT200.
OTLK VALID 150200-152000 VFR.
PASSES...LK CLARK..MERRILL..RAINY..WINDY..PORTAGE VFR.
...TURB...
NIL SIG.
...ICE AND FZLVL...
NIL SIG. FZLVL 050.
It took me a few seconds to realize that this does NOT mean "Merrill Field will be rainy and windy" but rather "Merrill Pass is VFR, Rainy Pass is VFR, Windy Pass is VFR..." Hahahaa. Think I'll go flying today.... :yes::yes:

--Kath

Yeah that's what I remember from my visits to Anchorage, and my time in Kodiak.

I remember the long evenings in the winter and the late twilights in the summer.

While I'd be fine I'm not sure how the family would adjust to it. Of course, I could end up saying (a la Gordon Baxter) "My first wife didn't like Alaska".

Hey Kath. Great shots. glad you are getting some flying in to bad you can't make it to the Wings FlyBQ this year.

Well, keep that improving trend in the weather going. My wife and I are taking a cruise out of Seattle the middle of June. I look forward to taking LOTS of pictures. I haven't been to Alaska since I worked for the Navy in the late 70s. It will be nice to go on vacation, rather than to work.

Kath,

Spectacular! :yes:

Alaska is the only state I've never been to, and the more I read about it and see about it on here, the more I realize I'm going to have to rectify that situation.

Did you see this month's "Joy of Flight" article?

I went flying yesterday. I will Tag on to Kath's thread. Hope you don't mind. :fcross:

1. 5,000 ft hill where 3 friends of mine where killed in the early 80's.

2. Is a picture of the crash yes it is still there and it is in the picture.

3. Closer picture of the crash (look right next to the tire).

4. Alaskan runway elevation 4500' one way Dall Sheep area.

5. Another one that didn't make it home.

6. Alaskan mining strip.

7. Wolf scat on the strip.

8. Getting ready to take off.

9. Aerial view of the mine strip.

Attachments

• 101_0492.jpg
    101_0492.jpg
    727.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 101_0495.jpg
    101_0495.jpg
    682.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 101_0498.jpg
    101_0498.jpg
    633.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 101_0501.jpg
    101_0501.jpg
    712 KB · Views: 23
  • 101_0516.jpg
    101_0516.jpg
    693.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 101_0521.jpg
    101_0521.jpg
    739.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 101_0520.jpg
    101_0520.jpg
    736.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 101_0529.jpg
    101_0529.jpg
    724.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 101_0531.jpg
    101_0531.jpg
    710.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Kath,
We were at the Portage Glacier two weeks ago, it was really foggy and we couldn't see too much from the visitor's center. Great pictures!
--Matt

Wow. I want to move to Alaska all the sudden. You know what we have here? Nothing. It is all flat.

Shut the engine off. Trim the airplane for best glide. Close your eyes. Good chance you'll live.

Tim said:
1. 5,000 ft hill where 3 friends of mine where killed in the early 80's.

Wow, that looks like a very steep slope to crash an airplane on. Is their story one that you'd mind sharing? Was it weather-related?

--Kath

kath said:
Wow, that looks like a very steep slope to crash an airplane on. Is their story one that you'd mind sharing? Was it weather-related?

--Kath

They where on their way to FAI from FYU. The weather was bad. The pilot had been working on his Instrument rating. The guess is; that he was trying to punch through on instruments and if they had been 50-100 ft higher they would have made it. The passengers lived through the impact one drug the other out of the wreck. It was a week before they where found. The weather was bad that whole week. I haven’t been up there for a long time it appears that the fuselage has been turned over and a wing set up beside it. The pilot didn’t own the plane. The owner went up a year or so later with a super cub driver and crashed and died 800 yards away. So it goes……… :(

NTSB Identification: ANC80FA101
14 CFR Part 91 General Aviation
Event occurred Sunday, September 14, 1980 in LIME PEAK, AK
Aircraft: CESSNA 172M, registration: N80738
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FILE DATE LOCATION AIRCRAFT DATA INJURIES FLIGHT PILOT DATA
F S M/N PURPOSE
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3-3027 80/9/14 LIME PEAK,AK CESSNA 172M CR- 1 0 0 NONCOMMERCIAL PRIVATE, AGE 40, 161
TIME - 1910 N80738 PX- 2 0 0 PLEASURE/PERSONAL TRANSP TOTAL HOURS, 110 IN TYPE,
DAMAGE-SUBSTANTIAL OT- 0 0 0 NOT INSTRUMENT RATED.
DEPARTURE POINT INTENDED DESTINATION
FORT YUKON,AK FAIRBANKS,AK
TYPE OF ACCIDENT PHASE OF OPERATION
COLLISION WITH GROUND/WATER: CONTROLLED IN FLIGHT: NORMAL CRUISE
PROBABLE CAUSE(S)
PILOT IN COMMAND - INADEQUATE PREFLIGHT PREPARATION AND/OR PLANNING
PILOT IN COMMAND - CONTINUED VFR FLIGHT INTO ADVERSE WEATHER CONDITIONS
FACTOR(S)
MISCELLANEOUS ACTS,CONDITIONS - IMPROPERLY LOADED AIRCRAFT-WEIGHT-AND/OR C.G.
WEATHER - LOW CEILING
WEATHER - ICING CONDITIONS-INCLUDES SLEET,FREEZING RAIN,ETC.
WEATHER - TURBULENCE, ASSOCIATED W/CLOUDS AND/OR THUNDERSTORMS
WEATHER BRIEFING - BRIEFED BY FLIGHT SERVICE PERSONNEL, BY PHONE
WEATHER FORECAST - FORECAST SUBSTANTIALLY CORRECT
SKY CONDITION CEILING AT ACCIDENT SITE
OVERCAST UNKNOWN/NOT REPORTED
VISIBILITY AT ACCIDENT SITE PRECIPITATION AT ACCIDENT SITE
UNKNOWN/NOT REPORTED RAIN
OBSTRUCTIONS TO VISION AT ACCIDENT SITE TEMPERATURE-F
FOG 35
TYPE OF WEATHER CONDITIONS TYPE OF FLIGHT PLAN
IFR VFR
REMARKS- APPROX 151LBS OVR MAX GROSS WT.

Back