Picked My Headset

I don't think that's what I'm doing. I don't sell anything on my blog. But that's where I do my longer writing. It's easier to link.

Next time just paste the content here:

One of the first things every pilot needs — whether new or returning to the game after many years away — is a headset. I looked at a lot of models from a lot of places to re-familiarize myself with the market after all these years.

I need to keep my expenses modest, so I can have more money for flying. I wanted the Bose A20 bad boys, those noise-cancelling beauties that even have built-in bluetooth so you can answer calls on your phone. But I don’t have $1,000-plus to drop on a headset at the moment (but I will in time — all family members, just give me cash for birthdays/Christmas now, so I can get them!).

I also did a lot of checking around on eBay, looking for a deal. There are lots of them on all kinds of headsets, including tons of Dave Clarks, Bose, Lightspeed, Faro, etc. But I decided I wanted a new pair; something about wearing someone else’s headset didn’t sit right with me. It’s like buying underwear at Goodwill — I wasn’t willing to take that chance.

Ultimately, I ended up going the safe, conservative route, and bought a pair of Dave Clark H10-13.4’s from Sporty’s. They were $319.50. A pretty good price, especially with free shipping. It’s a good compromise of what I want and what I can afford.

This headset is probably the most popular in the world, and they have a strong reputation for quality and value. I do think that within a year I’ll probably want to upgrade to full noise-cancelling, and these Dave Clarks don’t have them (although they do of course make models that do have them — I’ll check them out too in time.)

I’ve only put them on for a few minutes so far, but they feel great. That’s a *key* consideration for a headset; if they’re not comfortable, it can really impair the enjoyment of a flight. I’m looking forward to using them often, then, when I upgrade, moving them into a backup/passenger role.

The Faro ANR is a great headset for about $350. The ear seals are especially plush and comfy. Once you've gone ANR, there's no going back!

Lots of opinions, but not one from someone on the MC.

Correct... what I said is my opinion.

The Faro ANR is a great headset for about $350. The ear seals are especially plush and comfy. Once you've gone ANR, there's no going back!
I’ve seen a lot of negative opinions on that one, at least as far as the Amazon reviews are concerned. Have you found them to be well-made and reliable?

I'm not sure why it bugs me so much when people call them "Dave Clarks," but, well, it's just irritating and sounds like a fake familiarity that only someone who doesn't know much about aviation would use. Some days I hate the internet. Yeah, well, I love my David Clark headset, so all is well.

http://www.headsetsinc.com/ P/N DRE-6001

I have had the same headset since 2002 through a few Alaska winters and in the heat of New Mexico when I was flying for a living. I have had mine for so long it isn't even the same part number. I did change the ear seals to the thick ones to cover the ear piece on my glasses.

Once you've gone ANR, there's no going back!

That would be the truth. I used to fly Cessna 207 for about 8 hours a day for days at a time. I would have a pounding headache at the end of the day. With the ANR Headsets I would put in 8 hours and feel fine.

A PNR headset might be good for flying a couple hours a month, but I would rather keep my ability to hear. $1000 bucks now, or a lot more later on.

I'm not sure why it bugs me so much when people call them "Dave Clarks," but, well, it's just irritating and sounds like a fake familiarity that only someone who doesn't know much about aviation would use. Some days I hate the internet. Yeah, well, I love my David Clark headset, so all is well.
I’ve thought of them as “Dave Clarks” for so long I didn’t even realize they were actually “David Clarks” until I noticed it on their website (which I hadn’t visited before). Now I’m not sure I can break the habit!

I wonder if it started because of the old music group The Dave Clark Five...?

I’ve seen a lot of negative opinions on that one, at least as far as the Amazon reviews are concerned. Have you found them to be well-made and reliable?

I've never written a negative opinion on the Faros but I have one. The noise cancelling is great but the mic has to be almost IN your mouth in order to be heard. Not a fan.

I guess I've written one now. ;)

My first flight today with the Quiet Technologies Halo headset. The unit comes with a 45 day return policy so I thought I would give them a try. Half the price of Clarity Aloft too. I have two Bose A-20 headsets in my Arrow but after a 3 to 4 hour flight my ears physically hurt when I remove the headset :( And in the summer, of course, they can be rather hot so I decided to try the Halo after seeing one on the "310 Pilot" YouTube channel. After a couple of trials this morning I found the right way to insert the ear pieces and notice that the noise reduction was even better than the Bose! Much more comfortable too (for me, anyway) and the stereo sound from SiriusXM was just as good as with the Bose. I know some folks don't care for "in the ear" ear pieces but I find them to be ok. The only thing I would add is a "clothing clip" to keep the cord out of the way.

My first flight today with the Quiet Technologies Halo headset. The unit comes with a 45 day return policy so I thought I would give them a try. Half the price of Clarity Aloft too. I have two Bose A-20 headsets in my Arrow but after a 3 to 4 hour flight my ears physically hurt when I remove the headset :( And in the summer, of course, they can be rather hot so I decided to try the Halo after seeing one on the "310 Pilot" YouTube channel. After a couple of trials this morning I found the right way to insert the ear pieces and notice that the noise reduction was even better than the Bose! Much more comfortable too (for me, anyway) and the stereo sound from SiriusXM was just as good as with the Bose. I know some folks don't care for "in the ear" ear pieces but I find them to be ok. The only thing I would add is a "clothing clip" to keep the cord out of the way.

If your ears hurt with the bose, try changing the ear cushions, they do wear out.

They've been fantastic. Sure, the mic needs to be close to your mouth...no biggie; that's why it's mounted on an adjustable arm. I had a Bose headset before, but I returned it because the engine noise that came through the ANR was rather metallic sounding. Not a fan. The Faro was a lot better to my ear.

My Halos have a clip, it's necessary so that the weight of the wire doesn't pull it crooked or off of your head. Dig deeper in that nice leather case, check all of the variois compartments and bags. Love my Halos! No more post-flight headaches! :tongue:

Huh. I have two David Clarks, one for the wife and one for pax, plus my old student days' FlightCom. Gave up on the black set and the David Clark because they rely on squeezing your head to seal out sound; my eyeglasses interfere with the seal and my (prescription) sunglasses interfere even more, but they are fairly quiet between removal,of glasses and donning of sunglasses (and vice versa in failing light).

But I am a huge fan of QT Halos! No more headaches, less noise, no interference with glasses! The only thing I can't do is make a call on the cell phone and shove it under the ear cup for "hands free" calling, but I never did that much anyway. Pain-free flying is glorious!!

Last edited:
Also an audio cable will get you atis, music, etc., from your phone into the halos...if your phone has a 3.5mm jack.

If my phone had music on it . . . I do have a "music input" jack wired into the intercom, and QT sells an optional bluetooth link. But with an in-ear headset, I can't shove the phone up there and leave it like I used to do with my old clamp-o-matic headset when making a call, like to Clearance Delivery while taxiing out or to friends when taxiing in.

Lisa says that David Clark went "green" long before it was hip!

I clicked it and I don't see the difference with someone doing what the OP did versus someone posting their youtube video.
Nice choice, DC makes great headsets.

+1, doesn't make much difference to me. If people don't like it, don't go read it.

I’m embarrassed to admit that when I resumed flying after 20 years I told the instructor I had a set of Dick Clark’s.

So do you plan on doing the Headsets Inc ANR upgrade? How about the Oregon Aero cushion swap?

I have a set of DC H20-10S that I want to convert, but Headsets,Inc days they have to be upgraded at their shop, no kit available for DIY.

Back