Photo ID for domestic(commercial) flights

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
Wife got pulled over for a traffic issue and the police officer kept her driver’s license as bond. She’s got a commercial flight on Mon and it probably isn’t going to be possible to pay anything and get her license back before then.

Her only other photo ID is a passport but it’s expired.

Is there any way she can still board? This is a domestic flight.

Wife got pulled over for a traffic issue and the police officer kept her driver’s license as bond. She’s got a commercial flight on Mon and it probably isn’t going to be possible to pay anything and get her license back before then.

Her only other photo ID is a passport but it’s expired.

Is there any way she can still board? This is a domestic flight.
Yes, she'll need some form of ID and will be subject to additional screening.

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2018/08/02/four-tips-remember-when-checking-your-id-airport-security

Even better we just figured out it’s a moot point. Apparently they changed the law several years ago and the cop was supposed to have handed her license back. We called the PD and she’s getting it back tomorrow.

Last time I got pulled over was over 20 years ago and then they kept it as bond…. I saw her keep it and said nothing because I had no idea the law changed.:rolleyes:

I boarded a flight once, after sweating over an expired driver license, with my American Express card.

What state is a drivers license is kept as bond? That crap ended 30 years ago in the civilized world.

I boarded a flight once, after sweating over an expired driver license, with my American Express card.

How long ago?

Flying ID requirements have changed over the years.

What state is a drivers license is kept as bond? That crap ended 30 years ago in the civilized world.

Apparently they don’t, the cop just forgot to give it back. If I had been aware of the law change I could have said something but I just assumed they still kept them for bond. Last time I was pulled over or ticketed was over 20 years ago and I guess I missed the memo on the law change. Either way she can get it back tomorrow so crisis averted.

Ten years from now the PermID microchip implant will make that all irrelevant.

You don’t need an ID to travel. Just go to the airport early and you’ll get extra screening to confirm your identity.

Oh, but about the photo ID, don't you need
You mean the Covid vaccine that we already have?

Remember when you had to submit your birth certificate, social security card and five notarized affidavits of your identity in order to receive the covid vaccine? Maybe there was something to that? Hmm?

I thought the whole point of the Real ID driver's license was so that you didn't need a passport to board domestic flights? Have the rules changed?

I thought the whole point of the Real ID driver's license was so that you didn't need a passport to board domestic flights? Have the rules changed?
You never really needed an ID to travel as long as they can confirm your identity. I’ve never forgotten my ID but I’ve heard it’s not really a big deal. You’ll just get extra screening and they’ll ask you questions to try to confirm your identity

“Forgot Your ID?
In the event you arrive at the airport without valid identification, because it is lost or at home, you may still be allowed to fly. The TSA officer may ask you to complete an identity verification process which includes collecting information such as your name, current address, and other personal information to confirm your identity. If your identity is confirmed, you will be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint. You will be subject to additional screening, to include a patdown and screening of carry-on property.

You will not be allowed to enter the security checkpoint if your identity cannot be confirmed, you choose to not provide proper identification or you decline to cooperate with the identity verification process.

TSA recommends that you arrive at least two hours in advance of your flight time.”

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

Love the arrive 2 hours before. Heck, these days you need to do that even with proper ID.

Back