Phillips 66 pauses 100 unleaded development

PaulMillner

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Paul Millner
AVWEB reports this morning that Phillips has paused unleaded avgas testing due to failure of the fuel.

That leaves Swift, who says their fuel may not satisfy all of the fleet, Lyondell who plans to combine Swift's and Phillips technologies for a best/worst mashup, and of course GAMI's fuel that's approved and flying in demonstration aircraft.

Last edited:
I have been using swift UL 94 in my Cessna 150. Other than it being expensive it’s also hard to find. The more companies that get involved the better for competition. I have yet to see an airport with GAMI 100

So we're holding the bus for Philips and others while the GAMI 100UL is ready to go?

FYI, the Philips 100UL is not deposit free, as it contains methylcyclopentadienylmanganese tricarbonyl (MMT) as an octane enhancer. This fuel can produce manganese deposits in an engine, much like TEL can produce lead deposits. (However, MMT concentrations are much lower than that for TEL.)

There is no bus. There is an approval to have a bus. You can pay $money dollars ($1200 for my ticket) for your fare to board the approved bus when or if it may appear. There is no bus, nor talk of when a bus may appear, nor talk of why the bus is nowhere to be found yet.

Until proven otherwise, this is a "short bus" from where I sit, and I'll wait for other options before buying a ticket

So we're holding the bus for Philips and others while the GAMI 100UL is ready to go?

FYI, the Philips 100UL is not deposit free, as it contains methylcyclopentadienylmanganese tricarbonyl (MMT) as an octane enhancer. This fuel can produce manganese deposits in an engine, much like TEL can produce lead deposits. (However, MMT concentrations are much lower than that for TEL.)
The amount of Mn in mogas is minimal compared to Pb in 100UL.
TEL adds 0.56 g/L of Pb into Avgas--2.1g/gal.
MMT adds at maximum 0.033g/L = 0.125g/gal to mogas.
However, I don't know how much MMT Phillips was using in its formulation.

chemgeek, do you know?

Mn is also much less toxic than Pb.

If G100UL is ready to go, what is it waiting on?
100LL to be outlawed or otherwise unavailable.

If you owned an FBO and had only one tank, would you place an order for G100 at a higher price when 100LL is still available?

chemgeek, do you know?

wow, 2.1g/gal Pb is more than I expected.

A producer and a distributor.
If that’s the case it isn’t really ready to go.

If you owned an FBO and had only one tank, would you place an order for G100 at a higher price when 100LL is still available?

So it’s awaiting a demand, and the demand is awaiting the heavy hand of government. Doesn’t sound like something we should be cheering for.

If I was at an airport where 100LL has already been banned, yes. It's bizarre that GAMI isn't already selling G100UL at one of those fields.

I wonder if the money that the feds are putting into EAGLE would be enough to buy G100UL STCs for all piston aircraft.

I wonder if the money that the feds are putting into EAGLE would be enough to buy G100UL STCs for all piston aircraft.

Apparently they've floated that idea.

Today I learned. Weird that it's approvable on the 225hp debs but not the mice.

Edit -- that was an interesting little rabbit-hole. https://www.beechaeroclub.org/frequ...-planes-check-out-the-link-belowhttp-ww/1987/

TLDR:
...the Sundowner they tried had such severe vapor lock that the airplane had to be towed from the runway after a dead-stick landing. The particular test that it failed was the one where the fuel is heated to 120 F and the aircraft flown to around 10,000 feet at the maximum rate of climb. The combination of fuel line routing, tubing diameter, and the fact that the fuel system requires a pump, all make an autogas STC a distant dream.

Mine is a B23, basically a Sundowner without the pilot door. No mogas for me, so I’m stuck waiting for GAMI-gas.

TLDR:
...the Sundowner they tried had such severe vapor lock that the airplane had to be towed from the runway after a dead-stick landing. The particular test that it failed was the one where the fuel is heated to 120 F and the aircraft flown to around 10,000 feet at the maximum rate of climb. The combination of fuel line routing, tubing diameter, and the fact that the fuel system requires a pump, all make an autogas STC a distant dream.

Mine is a B23, basically a Sundowner without the pilot door. No mogas for me, so I’m stuck waiting for GAMI-gas.
Some of the Cherokee's are like that also.

Some of the Cherokee's are like that also.
Anything but the 140 I believe. I can get the STC for my 180. But I'd have to buy and install a 2 new fuel pumps. I want to say the stc with all hardware was 3200

"In some airframes equipped with suction lift fuel systems (pump fed systems), different electric fuel pumps may need to be installed to insure adequate fuel flow, and/or the fuel pump locations must be moved. The STC for the PA-28-160, -161, -180, -181 requires the removal of the factory installed electric pump. This pump is replaced with two completely different pumps and a revised fuel system forward of the firewall. Installation on this airplane takes between four and six hours, approximately double that on 24 volt PA-28's."

"Hello committee. We would like to take all the money that we are giving you and instead give it to someone else. Do you approve?"

If I was at an airport where 100LL has already been banned, yes. It's bizarre that GAMI isn't already selling G100UL at one of those fields.
There's a lot of talk about it, but how many places have actually banned 100LL so far? There will have to be enough to entice the producer and distributor to start up.

There's a lot of talk about it, but how many places have actually banned 100LL so far? There will have to be enough to entice the producer and distributor to start up.

I'd think RHV and E16 alone could consume a few tankers a week of 100LL-substitute. How much is an enticement for these blenders? I thought the magic was anyone could blend the stuff anywhere in any amount.

I'd think RHV and E16 alone could consume a few tankers a week of 100LL-substitute. How much is an enticement for these blenders? I thought the magic was anyone could blend the stuff anywhere in any amount.
We got sold a bill of goods.....apparently not that easy or cheap to make. ;)

Santa Clara County (RHV and E16) doesn't want to sell fuel, they want to give the airports to the developers.

When they banned 100LL and switched to 94UL, they also switched to having the county sell the fuel directly instead of selling through the FBOs. This was so that the FBOs will make less profit and hopefully go out of business and increase the costs to the county (since they had to buy and staff the fuel trucks) so they can claim the airports are too costly to maintain.

Bringing in 100UL will make more planes want to stay and let the county sell more fuel, two things they don't want to happen.

I wonder if the county ever used "lead" as their reason for taking over. Now they have what they wanted and are blocking progress?

GAMI may have a case if they were sold a bill of lies, acted, succeeded, and are now left holding a bag. It would be an amusing case to request Santa Clara county to reimburse GAMI's R&D expenses for their fraudulent ways, then sue for damages when they get ignored. :D

"Hello committee. We would like to take all the money that we are giving you and instead give it to someone else. Do you approve?"
I'm assuming it would take an act of Congress.

Santa Clara County (RHV and E16) doesn't want to sell fuel, they want to give the airports to the developers.

When they banned 100LL and switched to 94UL, they also switched to having the county sell the fuel directly instead of selling through the FBOs. This was so that the FBOs will make less profit and hopefully go out of business and increase the costs to the county (since they had to buy and staff the fuel trucks) so they can claim the airports are too costly to maintain.

Bringing in 100UL will make more planes want to stay and let the county sell more fuel, two things they don't want to happen.
If the County prevented G100UL from being available at its airports, that would expose the 100LL ban as the airport-closure pretext that it is.

chemgeek, do you know?

While Mn salts are less toxic than lead salts, MMT itself is quite toxic, rating a 4 on the NEPA scale for toxicity compared to 1 for TEL according the the MSDS. MMT is readily absorbed through the skin. Both materials require special handling.

Back