Pet Peeves

Hey, you changed the numbers. I'd be torqued if someone brought a cart full through the express lane. I said 16 items in a 15 item lane. I can live with 1 or 2 over. I've had lady's complain befor I'm 1 over. I just laugh at their pitiful hobby and offer them to go ahead of me.

By the way...two of he same item counts as two. If they are packaged together ie 6 pack of Coke or 4 boxes of Kleenex wrapped together then it counts as 1. Five apples in a bag counts as one item.

Does this mean if I take 15 bags and put 15 items in each bag before I check out its still only 15 items? :dunno:

Misuse of 'to', 'too', and 'two'. And it's a double peeve when I catch myself screwing g it up. Usually due to autocorrect...but still.

How about the phrase " I could care less" :mad2:

It's "I couldn't care less". If you COULD care less then that means you care.

Does this mean if I take 15 bags and put 15 items in each bag before I check out its still only 15 items? :dunno:

Does each bag have a single price tag on it?

A bag of apples gets rung up once after being weighed and so counts as one item.

THANK YOU!! I have tried explaining this an unheard of amount of times to an unheard of amount of people.

I mean what's so hard to understand? If you "could care less," then you evidently care. If you "could not care less" then your care level is at absolute zero.

I'll tell you, I could care less about when people say they could care less because it drives me absolutely insane.

How about the phrase "you need to get a life if something that simple and mundane bothers you."

You understand what they mean so it doesn't matter. As in...I could care less that you have as issue with me saying "I could care less." (Even though I don't)

:rofl:

How about the phrase "you need to get a life if something that simple and mundane bothers you."

You understand what they mean so it doesn't matter. As in...I could care less that you have as issue with me saying "I could care less." (Even though I don't)

Pfffft, the guy in my last post cared so much he made a video. It graphically illustrates the problem with "I could care less".

Holy moly! Thought this was the pet peeves section! :rofl:

THANK YOU!! I have tried explaining this an unheard of amount of times to an unheard of amount of people.

I mean what's so hard to understand? If you "could care less," then you evidently care. If you "could not care less" then your care level is at absolute zero.

I'll tell you, I could care less about when people say they could care less because it drives me absolutely insane.
Ouch! Make it stop.
It's NUMBER of people, and NUMBER of times....not amount.
Amount is for uncountable quantities, Number for those that can be counted.

Yes, I'm said to be a grammar nazi........but we are talking pet peeves here. :wink2:

Ouch! Make it stop.
It's NUMBER of people, and NUMBER of times....not amount.
Amount is for uncountable quantities, Number for those that can be counted.

Yes, I'm said to be a grammar nazi........but we are talking pet peeves here. :wink2:

But then would it not be an effective use of rhetoric to portray my angst over how many people I cannot explain this to?

Also, "uncountable quantities" is one big, fat oxymoron, now isn't it? ;)

But then would it not be an effective use of rhetoric to portray my angst over how many people I cannot explain this to?

Ahh....multiple negatives used correctly.

No it isn't ..... My good friend and constant companion Merriam-Webster:
quan·ti·ty\ˈkwän-tə-tē\
noun
: an amount or number of something
: a large amount or number of something

:)

I hate it when people say, when I am talking about an activity that I do and enjoy, that I "have too much time on my hands".

NO I DON'T! I have exactly as much time as I need. Perhaps you are too damn busy with silly stuff to truly enjoy life, and you have allocated your time poorly.

We could have a whole separate thread about pet peeves of things that wives do.

And her foot is either ALWAYS on the gas or the brake. The light can be 200 ft in front of her and she won't coast - it's on the gas until she's 50 ft in front of the light, then she brakes hard.

She is oblivious to potholes.

She spends a fortune on groceries she SHOULD eat, but never does. It drives me crazy to watch fresh vegetables and meat rot in the refrigerator because she never has the appetite to actually eat the healthy food she bought.

Will run out of TP, toothpaste, deodorant, Ajax, etc. in her bathroom and will raid my bathroom. So here I am fat, dumb and happy, thinking I've got spare TP under the vanity...well, we won't go there.

I witness the first three day after day. Guess who gets bad gas mileage and goes through tires, brakes, and alignments at a frightening rate?

The fourth one rings a bell, but differently. In every bathroom, we have a small cabinet within arm's reach of the toilet. It holds the "spare" TP. The idea is that when the roll by the toilet runs out, you grab one of the spares. When you take out the last "spare" roll, you re-stock the cabinet when you finish your business. That way, nobody is ever placed in an awkward position.

Guess how well that works.

And I'll throw in clutter. SWMBO often states that she wants our house to be clean enough every day so no panic housecleaning will be necessary if we get a 5 minute warning from friends or neighbors. It doesn't quite work that way. With all of her clutter, we'd need 2 hours to clean off the counter tops, the secretary, and make a respectable path through the garage. Truly maddening.

Speaking of maddening. Our cleaning lady. I swear she's a sadist. She hides stuff in random places just to be mean. Today, it was the dog leash (which I leave hung by the front door). I get home from work and go to take the 14 year old dog out. Fricking dog is about to spring a leak and the leash is fargin' gone. Five minutes of searching and I finally find it in the dining room. Yeah, that makes sense. Oh, and she makes a point of leaving every exterior light on the house on. I swear she'd turn on the neighbor's exterior lights if she could.

Oh, and she makes a point of leaving every exterior light on the house on.

I'm a light freak. If I'm not in a room, at night, the light doesn't go on. My wife and kids will turn on the kitchen light in the middle of a sunny day. I'll flip the switch off and there is absolutely no difference except the electric meter isn't winding as fast.

Okay, I have to ask. Was it ever settled whether the picture on your avatar is really you?

And in case anyone is curious, yeah, mine is really me.

I hate it when people say, when I am talking about an activity that I do and enjoy, that I "have too much time on my hands".

NO I DON'T! I have exactly as much time as I need. Perhaps you are too damn busy with silly stuff to truly enjoy life, and you have allocated your time poorly.

If I'm not careful in the kitchen I sometimes have too much thyme on my hands.

Anyone with time for PoA has too much time on their hands. Welcome to the first world. Enjoy.

From another thread:

Being in design, construction & property management all my life one of my pet peeves is...

People who refer to CONCRETE as "cement". That's like referring to BREAD as "flour". Cement is just one of many ingredients in concrete.

Akin...

People who pronounce masonry "masonAry". It's not "masonAry" just like it's not "carpentAry".

UH You understand what they mean when people say cement instead of concrete so it doesn't matter. As in...I couldn't care less that you have an issue with me saying "I'm having my cement driveway poured today" (Even though I do)

Traffic officers working a road construction detail that spend all of their time watching the construction work instead of watching for the TRAFFIC

We had one standing in the intersection leaving us to wonder if it was OK to proceed. I guess it was too much exertion for him to pick up his hands and give some sort of signal.

That's something I'd have to discuss with my Paprika.
.....and if you didn't get your Mother anything for Christmas at least get a cardamom before it's too late

Jerez, this thread is getting to our basil instincts!

Back