Pet Peeves

affect/effect

"Your an idiot if there typos effect you so much, don't loose you're cool over it."
I've come to the conclusion that grammar police are no better than grammar offenders. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter. Go study a few other languages and then come back to English.

I've come to the conclusion that grammar police are no better than grammar offenders. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter. Go study a few other languages and then come back to English.

Sorry, dude, languages don't make sense for the simple reason that they aren't designed--they are created by those of us who use 'em. Want a logical, designed language, check out Esperanto (there must certainly be some references to it on the interweb). This was supposed to become a lingua franca and displace traditional languages by now. In case you haven't noticed, that ain't happent yet and nobody hablas Esperanto anymore.

Last edited:
Sorry, dude, languages don't make sense for the simple reason that they aren't designed--they are created by those of us who use 'em. Want a logical, designed language, check out Esperanto (there must certainly be some references to it on the interweb). This was supposed to become a lingua Franca and displace traditional languages by now. In case you haven't noticed,that ain't happent yet.
Sorry dude, languages make sense. It's how we communicate. Understanding and latitude makes it work.

Sorry dude, languages make sense. It's how we communicate. Understanding and latitude makes it work.

Should have said their rules aren't necessarily logical. Check out the wonderful, regular patterns for simple verb tenses in English: see, saw, seen; think, thought, thought; go, went, gone; am, was, was; drive, drove, driven; read, read, read (spoken differently); walk, walked, walked. Most follow "verb, verb-ed, verb-ed" or "verb, verb-ed, verb-en" but there are so many exceptions that it's almost funny.

How bout spelling? It's "i before e except after c" plus basic things like their, weight and neighbor.

Pronunciation? Try these: fish, laugh, distaff; glimmer, dimmer, women; pole, poll; pneumatic, knight, nick; very, berry, airy; devour, flour, flower; and many more.

Does that make sense to you? It's how languages are formed, by repeated usage and occasional,new forms made up by someone and repeated many times until it becomes accepted. No logic to it . . .

Why? What did I write?

Should have said their rules aren't necessarily logical. Check out the wonderful, regular patterns for simple verb tenses in English: see, saw, seen; think, thought, thought; go, went, gone; am, was, was; drive, drove, driven; read, read, read (spoken differently); walk, walked, walked. Most follow "verb, verb-ed, verb-ed" or "verb, verb-ed, verb-en" but there are so many exceptions that it's almost funny.

How bout spelling? It's "i before e except after c" plus basic things like their, weight and neighbor.

Pronunciation? Try these: fish, laugh, distaff; glimmer, dimmer, women; pole, poll; pneumatic, knight, nick; very, berry, airy; devour, flour, flower; and many more.

Does that make sense to you? It's how languages are formed, by repeated usage and occasional,new forms made up by someone and repeated many times until it becomes accepted. No logic to it . . .
My point is that it is pointless to obsess about rules. It does no good in a casual forum. End of story.

Or words so frequently misused that the new "incorrect" usage becomes adopted as either a first or second meaning, e.g. disinterested, bemused, nonplussed.

"Realtor" bugs me too. I had a friend who was a realtor, and insisted on pronouncing it as "realitor." If it's your profession, say it right!

Arg!!! Got a new one today...people who think they are driving 18 wheelers and have to move to the right to make a left turn. I had a guy in front of me drive as far right as he could get (leaving the road partially and stop). I'm thinking what is wrong with this guy and am about to pass him on the left when he makes a left turn. Come on, it's not that hard to turn left from the center of the lane.

There must be some quality control problems with cars these days. About half of them have no turn signals. At least they don't work when the clowns driving them make a turn or switch lanes.

Cheers

The ones I hate are the ones who travel to the end of the ramp/beginning of the accelleration lane and come to a complete stop there. I got used to driving around them at one local exit. I don't know how they think they will merge into 70MPH traffic from a standing stop.

That was SOP when I lived in Colorado 35 years ago. In the meantime I was looking over my shoulder for the hole I was going to merge into with my foot buried in the gas. Then I saw the idiot stopped in front of me and hit the brakes.

OK, so you're in a crowded place (airport, museum, crowded street), and there is someone walking in one direction, while looking in another. It's almost as if they'rethinking, "If I don't look that way, no one will be in my way."

That, and the family all languidly walking, line-abreast, taking up the entire width of the concourse. Helps if they're each dragging along their excessively-huge roll-aboard suitcase. And carrying their inflated neck-pillow. And leopard-print blanky. Extra points if they're in pajama pants. And flip-flops.

And then they frickin' stop. Right in the middle of the concourse, blocking everybody and every thing. The whole airport shuts down briefly so they can discuss who's gonna pick up extra sodas at the convenience store and who's gonna go pee before getting on the airplane.

Oblivious morons. Move to the side.

That is a typical human behavior everywhere in the world. Everywhere I have been. I call it "find a choke point and fill it". And I've had idiots stop at the departure end of an escalator. Excuse me, but the escalator isn't stopping just because you did. It like hanging out at the departure end of a runway.

It's worse when they do that at the top or bottom of an escalator, on at the end of a moving walkway.

speaking of pronounciation (no pun intended), can people learn to prounce: ask (not axe), jewelry (not jury)

speaking of pronounciation (no pun intended), can people learn to prounce: ask (not axe), jewelry (not jury)

Who's to say they are wrong?

How do you say aluminum? How does a Brit say it? Who's right?

There are numerous other examples of how egocentric "proper 'murican English" pronunciation rules are just that...egocentric...nothing more. No more right or wrong than any other.

Languages aren't static, they evolve.

Arg!!! Got a new one today...people who think they are driving 18 wheelers and have to move to the right to make a left turn. I had a guy in front of me drive as far right as he could get (leaving the road partially and stop). I'm thinking what is wrong with this guy and am about to pass him on the left when he makes a left turn. Come on, it's not that hard to turn left from the center of the lane.

Another winner is people in small cars swerving left into oncoming traffic to make a right turn as if they're pulling a mobile home behind them!

One of my big pet peeves, when you go to a sit down restaurant and someone you are with orders their hamburger like they are st a frighin Burger King ! Goes like this:
Waitress- welcome to Perkins. what can I get you sweetie?
Moron- I want the bacon cheeseburger with lettuce and ketchup only
Waitress- um, it all comes on the side and if you want ketchup,it is right there on the table in front of you
Moron- I just want lettuce and ketchup and a large fry. Oh, and a diet Coke
Waitress(walking away)- what an idiot....

One of my big pet peeves, when you go to a sit down restaurant and someone you are with orders their hamburger like they are st a frighin Burger King ! Goes like this:
Waitress- um, it all comes on the side and if you want ketchup,it is right there on the table in front of you

But enough about Sac Arrow.

There must be some quality control problems with cars these days. About half of them have no turn signals. At least they don't work when the clowns driving them make a turn or switch lanes.

Cheers

They just ran out of blinker fluid.

I always tell them what I want because I hate seeing them throw away food. No tomatoes doesn't mean "tomatoes on the side", it means "you're going to waste those nasty-assed tomatoes if you bother to put them on the plate."

I usually aks them if they can do lettuce wrap. If I get a quizzical look, I back off and deal with it later. It's pretty common around here (this is, like, California dude) so it's rare that they either can't accommodate you or unhappy to do so.

Burger King, ironically doesn't go quite that far to let you have it your way.

Has anyone used the phrase "on point" yet? We need to have somebody sounding like a TV lawyer for the thread to be complete!

People that walk into a sports while you're trying to watch the Rams/Cowboys game and starts playing the juke box (gives Michael Phelps like death stare to the woman in the straw "party hat" and her equally stupid looking mate wearing flip flops and blue jeans)

Its the Cowboys.... no harm, no foul....

Rams v Cowboys? That's not a game, it's a soap opera. Shouldn't be on in any sports bar.

Cheers

Morons with their stupid bass speakers in their cars. I do however enjoy watching them around town, middle of winter when it is below freezing and middle of summer when it is well over ninety and they have to have their windows rolled down so everyone can hear their sweet "system" even though the rest of us have our windows up and heat/ac turned on and cannot hear them anyway.
I have often wondered how many times in the history of mankind has a person gotten lucky from someone hearing their sweet system bumping? The correct answer should be zero.

Back