Pet Peeves

My ex would send me a text message that said "call me".

So I'd call and it would be something dumb like "can you pick up milk on the way home?"

Why she couldn't just text "pick up milk" I have no clue.
"

On the other hand, you have people (e.g. my wife) who will attempt to have a long conversation by text, when the logical thing to do would be call. My rule for texting is that if you're texting me, please keep your question to something that can be answered by "Yes", "No", "This afternoon", "Already done." etc.

"

On the other hand, you have people (e.g. my wife) who will attempt to have a long conversation by text, when the logical thing to do would be call. My rule for texting is that if you're texting me, please keep your question to something that can be answered by "Yes", "No", "This afternoon", "Already done." etc.

Then one day you'll get...

"The house is on fire."

And nothing else for two hours.

People who misinterpret the "zipper merge" study and think that this is the right thing to do at an offramp. "Zipper merge" only applies when the other line doesn't continue!
Zipper merge doesn't apply ANYWHERE. You're supposed to move from the ending lane in an orderly fashion ahead of where it ends.

The real thing that ****es me off is I am in traffic on ramp that splits ahead from two lanes (which are stop-and-go) to three (where the right lane exits to a different road). At the point where the split occurs I move into the new lane and get some asshat who is driving at a high rate of speed up the shoulder blowing her horn at me. If you're going to drive on the shoulder, you're going to have to pay attention and yield when you come up on people driving on the actual roadway.

That's been largely refuted on the "traffic control" basis (can't vouch for the idiot states that seem to recommend it). Zipper merging SLOWS EVERYTHING DOWN. Merging over a larger area allows traffic to maintain speed.

That only applies to fast flowing traffic. In stop-and-go traffic, zipper merge is more efficient.

But still - nothing to do with onramps/offramps. It only applies to construction closures of lanes where there is nowhere else to go but merge.

Anyway, let's not hijack this thread.

That only applies to fast flowing traffic. In stop-and-go traffic, zipper merge is more efficient.

But still - nothing to do with onramps/offramps. It only applies to construction closures of lanes where there is nowhere else to go but merge.

Anyway, let's not hijack this thread.

If you're in the slinky, do the bumpity-bump at 2 miles an hour, and there's an empty lane with no one in it for forever, you're doing it wrong. I'll be the guy passing you.

If you're in the slinky, do the bumpity-bump at 2 miles an hour, and there's an empty lane with no one in it for forever, you're doing it wrong. I'll be the guy passing you.

Agreed except in one circumstance that most aimers (I don't call them drivers, that'd be too kind) don't understand...

If you're behind a vehicle on the on-ramp that actually needs the entire length of the lane to even get to highway speed, and you dart around them and plant yourself in the lane right next to them, you're in for a surprise when they also can't stop, and have to shove you over another lane to finish their merge.

I see this all the time when towing the fifth wheel and see people do it to big rigs regularly too. When I'm maxed out at just over 20,000 lbs and the truck is floored with 35 lbs of boost and I'm shifting gears every 800 RPM to make highway speed before the end of a tiny uphill on-ramp, I'm coming over whether you stupidly put yourself in my blind spot or not.

Waiting a whopping ten seconds behind me, your lane change to the middle lane would have been a lot less desperate... Hahaha. I always look in the tow mirrors to see if the idiot has someplace to go, and then start merging and see how long before they realize what an idiot they were.

Bonus points: Continuing to accelerate the diesel and trailer to a speed their little fart box won't even go in the right lane, and seeing them sheepishly move back behind me to let the Lexi and BMW crowd pass them as they're crowded from behind by those folk.

The ones I hate are the ones who travel to the end of the ramp/beginning of the accelleration lane and come to a complete stop there. I got used to driving around them at one local exit. I don't know how they think they will merge into 70MPH traffic from a standing stop.

I could complain endlessly about how terrible other drivers are but that's because no one drives as good as me.

The ones I hate are the ones who travel to the end of the ramp/beginning of the accelleration lane and come to a complete stop there. I got used to driving around them at one local exit. I don't know how they think they will merge into 70MPH traffic from a standing stop.
You are assuming they think

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

People with an aversion to the right lane on the interstate. Two specific examples.

People who enter the freeway and immediately dive a lane or two to their left.

Similarly, people who's lane joins (not merges) with the interstate taking the road from <say> 3 to 4 lanes, yet freak out and barrel across the gore or the white line, just so they aren't in the <gosh forbid> right lane.

Oh, and it goes without saying that none of these right lane avoiders are at speed when they move into the faster lanes...

Has anyone mentioned people who can't maintain anything resembling a steady speed on the interstate when they talk on their cell phone...

Car goes zooming by on the left.
You see the driver pick up her phone.
Car immediately slows 10 mph, creating a rolling roadblock in the passing lane. Now the middle or right lane is moving faster than the left lane. Cars stack up, and people start doing dumb things to get around the logjam.
Oblivious, non-speed maintainer hangs up the phone, resumes her original speed.
Lather, rinse, repeat.

Has anyone mentioned people who can't maintain anything resembling a steady speed on the interstate when they talk on their cell phone...

Car goes zooming by on the left.
You see the driver pick up her phone.
Car immediately slows 10 mph, creating a rolling roadblock in the passing lane. Now the middle or right lane is moving faster than the left lane. Cars stack up, and people start doing dumb things to get around the logjam.
Oblivious, non-speed maintainer hangs up the phone, resumes her original speed.
Lather, rinse, repeat.

High speed cell phone driving should be a required part of drivers ed.

People with an aversion to the right lane on the interstate...

For awhile I used to be able to pass easily from the right lane as it seemed everyone was in the middle and left lanes. When I was stationed in NJ a local cop was known for giving tickets to left lane drivers.

People with an aversion to the right lane on the interstate. Two specific examples.

Similarly, people who's lane joins (not merges) with the interstate taking the road from <say> 3 to 4 lanes, yet freak out and barrel across the gore or the white line, just so they aren't in the <gosh forbid> right lane.

Oh, and it goes without saying that none of these right lane avoiders are at speed when they move into the faster lanes...

I will agree people shouldn't abruptly merge several lanes over after entering the freeway, but I personally don't like to camp out in the slow lane, particularly if it's in an area with lots of merges. Out here they have metered on-ramps, and encountering a truck merging at 20 when traffic is going 80 can tend to make things exciting.

I really dislike when people camp out in the left lane when there is no traffic to their right, however. But in the end I don't really care which lane they take as long as they leave a lane open for me to get by.

I really dislike when people camp out in the left lane when there is no traffic to their right
Colorado was later than some other states to adopt it, but we now have a law forbidding staying in the left-most lane, if the speed limit is > 65 mph, and you are not passing someone. CRS 42-4-1013. I don't know how effective it is in the Boulder-Denver-Colorado Springs area, but folks are pretty good about it here on the Western Slope.

Here in the LA area, the fastest lane of very often the furthest right. Nobody wants to be in that lane, so it's often wide open.

While we're talking about driving and drivers, rubberneckers bother me. Whether it is a construction site or a minor fender bender, it isn't like there is much new under the sun. Just drive your frickin' car.

Today, I lost an hour in traffic following a nasty rear-end collision where someone was gawking an accident across the interstate median and wasn't paying attention to driving their own vehicle.

Private pilot types that I allow to sit in the right seat, then question everything I do, followed with "I would never do that".

That's why you are a private pilot that flies for fun and I am a professional that flies people like you for a living.

Private pilot types that I allow to sit in the right seat, then question everything I do, followed with "I would never do that".

That's why you are a private pilot that flies for fun and I am a professional that flies people like you for a living.
:thumbsup:

OK, so you're in a crowded place (airport, museum, crowded street), and there is someone walking in one direction, while looking in another. It's almost as if they'rethinking, "If I don't look that way, no one will be in my way."

That, and the family all languidly walking, line-abreast, taking up the entire width of the concourse. Helps if they're each dragging along their excessively-huge roll-aboard suitcase. And carrying their inflated neck-pillow. And leopard-print blanky. Extra points if they're in pajama pants. And flip-flops.

People who wear stoopid chit out in public but then get mad at you when you want to get a photo of it for posterity.

I saw a girl today who was bigger round than she was tall and she was wearing a t-shirt that said it all. I pulled out my phone/camera. Her boyfriend threatened to kick my ass if I took her picture. I'm sure he knew it'd be posted online somewhere!

So I was a good boy...so unlike me...

Oh, the t-shirt...

image.png

I am fairly tolerant of straight-up typographical errors ... but am irritated by people who truly seem to not know the difference between there/their/they're, your/you're, and lose/loose.

That, and the family all languidly walking, line-abreast, taking up the entire width of the concourse. Helps if they're each dragging along their excessively-huge roll-aboard suitcase. And carrying their inflated neck-pillow. And leopard-print blanky. Extra points if they're in pajama pants. And flip-flops.

And then they frickin' stop. Right in the middle of the concourse, blocking everybody and every thing. The whole airport shuts down briefly so they can discuss who's gonna pick up extra sodas at the convenience store and who's gonna go pee before getting on the airplane.

Oblivious morons. Move to the side.

And then they frickin' stop. Right in the middle of the concourse, blocking everybody and every thing. The whole airport shuts down briefly so they can discuss who's gonna pick up extra sodas at the convenience store and who's gonna go pee before getting on the airplane.

Oblivious morons. Move to the side.

When that happens, I stick my hand through and say, "Excuse me please, can the rest of us get through?"

That usually wakes them up enough to move over a little..... sometimes.

I am fairly tolerant of straight-up typographical errors ... but am irritated by people who truly seem to not know the difference between there/their/they're, your/you're, and lose/loose.
affect/effect

"Your an idiot if there typos effect you so much, don't loose you're cool over it."

Back