Pet Peeves

For future refrence [sic] when I say things like "everybody likes sunshine" understand that I am aware that nothing is 100% and there are some people who don't like sunshine.

So you want other people to compensate for your tendency to overstate things?

So you want other people to compensate for your tendency to overstate things?

Yeah, whatever. Youre right im wrong. Im done with this. If youd like to continue please write it down, put it in a bottle labled 'Captain' and throw it in the ocean.

Drive-thrus who can't get the order right, but followed all the company shtick to a T.

My wife moving my stuff under the auspices of "cleaning up" and not telling me where she put it.

My wife (again) moving stuff that was already put away in a closet or other appropriately organized location to a new closet or other appropriately organized location under the auspices of "reorganizing"

(Because, yeah... keeping razors in a box in the hall closet makes more sense than in a box underneath the bathroom sink, you know, when I'm standing there dripping because I forgot to grab one before getting in the shower and she's not home, so I get to wander the upstairs in a towel looking for a damn razor.)

Speaking to any Radio Shack employee about anything to do with an actual radio.

---

"Hi, I'm calling to see if you have any Pro-197 scanners in stock at your store?"

"Uhh, is that something for a computer or...?"

"I'm sorry, it's a radio scanner. A police scanner. You know?"

"Uhhh, I don't know if we carry those. What's the model number again?"

"PRO-197. It's a desktop radio."

"I'm not sure, and the manager is out."

---

(True phone call from earlier this week. Beat. Head. Here.)

Yeah, whatever. Youre right im wrong. Im done with this. If youd like to continue please write it down, put it in a bottle labled 'Captain' and throw it in the ocean.

So you want to start a typed conversation in a web forum and then continue it by ocean-going bottle?

So you want to start a typed conversation in a web forum and then continue it by ocean-going bottle?

#325 People who try to carry on an argument after the opponent has walked away by yelling whatever last word they are trying to get in across the room/airline terminal/bus station.

#325 People who try to carry on an argument after the opponent has walked away by yelling whatever last word they are trying to get in across the room/airline terminal/bus station.

#326 People without a sense of humour

Drive-thrus who can't get the order right, but followed all the company shtick to a T.

Substitute aerospace engineers, and you'll have mine.

Process is important, but it's wildly wrong to assume perfect process alone means a perfect product. It's amazing how many people don't understand that. Even some people who really should know better.

TFRs. Has anyone turned them on in ForeFlight and zoomed out to see the whole country lately?

Between fires and stadiums and bus tours the place is littered with them! This might go a bit past 'peeve' for me but it's in the ballpark. Oh crap! Someone said, 'Ballpark'...quick, throw up another TFR!

TFR hell coming back to Denver Wed/Thu. What a waste of resources. Didn't get the job done last time?

Planned (forced) obsolescence. I have a 1999 Mahindra tractor that I need a few parts for. I can get them but the dealer (who also happens to be my BiL) said "that tractor's getting older and I may not be able to get parts much longer".

To which I responded "no, my 1947 Allis-Chalmers WD is getting older and the day you tell me you can't get parts for my 13 Y.O. tractor is the day I'll bring it back to you and stick it all the way up your a$$!"

Planned (forced) obsolescence. I have a 1999 Mahindra tractor that I need a few parts for. I can get them but the dealer (who also happens to be my BiL) said "that tractor's getting older and I may not be able to get parts much longer".

To which I responded "no, my 1947 Allis-Chalmers WD is getting older and the day you tell me you can't get parts for my 13 Y.O. tractor is the day I'll bring it back to you and stick it all the way up your a$$!"

Maybe it just costs too much to ship tractor parts from India?

Maybe it just costs too much to ship tractor parts from India?

...yet, spmehow, shipping manufactured goods fom China is feasible...

My peeve of the day. Price online and in the store is different. Online rental car cost $50/per day. When I call they say $37. Fine I'll call next time. I also made a new reservation and had them cancel the one I just did yesterday.

Enterprise Car Rental -you look up a price, see (say) $34.00/day. "Hmmm, a fair rate, I'll take it." but if you click the "arriving at FBO" button, the rate resets to something much higher, sometimes double- and it sets a cookie that defaults you to the higher rates from then on, unless younclear cookies.

FBO assures me that they don't get the extra cash.

It's a bad deal.

Speaking of forced obsolescence, I heard a report yesterday that the new iPhone (5, I think it'll be) will have a different connector than all previous models had. That means all new accessories, chargers, docking stations, etc.

TFRs. Has anyone turned them on in ForeFlight and zoomed out to see the whole country lately?

Between fires and stadiums and bus tours the place is littered with them! This might go a bit past 'peeve' for me but it's in the ballpark. Oh crap! Someone said, 'Ballpark'...quick, throw up another TFR!

Do the stadium TFR's show up in ForeFlight?

I think so. I seem to remember seeing them. I wouldn't bet a days pay, but I'm pretty sure. I'll check next time I see a game going.

They don't show up on DUATS and the FSS briefers don't have them, so I don't see where Foreflight would get the data.

I think so. I seem to remember seeing them. I wouldn't bet a days pay, but I'm pretty sure. I'll check next time I see a game going.

I have yet to see a game TFR on Foreflight. Including over Sears Point on race day.

Enterprise Car Rental -you look up a price, see (say) $34.00/day. "Hmmm, a fair rate, I'll take it." but if you click the "arriving at FBO" button, the rate resets to something much higher, sometimes double- and it sets a cookie that defaults you to the higher rates from then on, unless younclear cookies.

FBO assures me that they don't get the extra cash.

It's a bad deal.

I've successfully called them and asked them why and they've offered the lower rate and still delivered to the FBO. Have to call the local office though. I'm sure Corporate would say that's just the way it is.

I've successfully called them and asked them why and they've offered the lower rate and still delivered to the FBO. Have to call the local office though. I'm sure Corporate would say that's just the way it is.
I'm glad I called. I know lot of people that think the internet has the lowest price. I guess not! Talking to a human still wins for me.

Speaking of forced obsolescence, I heard a report yesterday that the new iPhone (5, I think it'll be) will have a different connector than all previous models had. That means all new accessories, chargers, docking stations, etc.

One of the best things about Android devices is they all share the micro-USB charge cord. No more buying all-new everything every time you buy a phone or tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I'm glad I called. I know lot of people that think the internet has the lowest price. I guess not! Talking to a human still wins for me.

This is especially true in hotels, now that the on-line booking agencies (Expedia, etc.) have hiked their commissions to 15% or more. You can always beat the on-line price by asking for an owner or the manager.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Fire TFRs do not give me any heartburn. The fires do, but not the TFRs providing space for the aircraft fighting the fire.

Now, stadiums and bus tours? That's a whole different matter.

Fire TFRs do not give me any heartburn. The fires do, but not the TFRs providing space for the aircraft fighting the fire.

Now, stadiums and bus tours? That's a whole different matter.

I agree. People don't need to go 'looky looing' around fires. Is it me or do the fire TFRs seem to go higher now? I seem to remember seeing one go to the flight levels.

I agree. People don't need to go 'looky looing' around fires. Is it me or do the fire TFRs seem to go higher now? I seem to remember seeing one go to the flight levels.

It's you. There is a DC-10 working a few fires out there but most of the fires around here have fairly low TFR ceilings. The one west of Ft Collins did get up to 12,500 but they were working around some tall rocks.

This has happened a few times in the last month or so an twice just this tour:

I check into the hotel and after all the paperwork is done the front desk person asks me "If I know how to get to my room?". Only problem is they have my room key in a jacket in their hand, so 'no', I don't know how to get to my room because I have no idea what room I'm in!

Here is one I get nailed by too often.

You're at a restaurant. You grab the bottle of ketchup or mustard and squirt it on your fries, sandwich, whatever.

But instead of ketchup or mustard, you get a teaspoon of water that has separated out of the condiment. Mmmm, soggy fries....

The little debit/credit card swipe machine at the store. It asks "is $27.95 the correct amount?" and you must answer yes or no.

But there should be a "how the f*** should I know?" option because you never get to see the receipt until after you answer the question.

But my favorite...

At the local Target store the machine asks "do you want to put the entire amount on this card?"

Nahh, I only want to put 25 cents on it.

Really? How many people DON'T put the entire amount on the card?

The little debit/credit card swipe machine at the store. It asks "is $27.95 the correct amount?" and you must answer yes or no.

But there should be a "how the f*** should I know?" option because you never get to see the receipt until after you answer the question.

But my favorite...

At the local Target store the machine asks "do you want to put the entire amount on this card?"

Nahh, I only want to put 25 cents on it.

Really? How many people DON'T put the entire amount on the card?
Tim, that is there for the remainder that is on a gift card....you have to get the remainder right.

That means a trip to the issuer's website before you go, to know how much is on there. Exceed by 0.01, it rejects.

I've run into this when paying with a gift card which doesn't cover the whole amount.

Which is actually far better behavior than many systems that won't take a partial payment on one card and the rest on another, stranding that $3.27 you didn't spend on the gift card -- which the gift card companies count on. Raises their revenue when the card expires.

Back