Pet Peeves

Tim, that is there for the remainder that is on a gift card....you have to get the remainder right.

That means a trip to the issuer's website before you go, to know how much is on there. Exceed by 0.01, it rejects.

Sure, but it'd be far simpler if their computer just used the remaining balance on the gift card and then told you to swipe another card to pay the rest and not bother the rest of us with silly and irrelevent questions!

Last edited:
Sure, but it'd be far simpler if their computer just used the remaining balance on the gift card and then told you to swipe another card to pay the rest and not bother the rest of us with silly and irrelevent questions!

The problem with that is that it would mean that the clerk would have the capability to quickly ascertain the balance available on any card you present for payment. Not sure I'd want that, either. I think they can often do it for store credit cards, though.

When I said 'barbecue sauce', I didn't mean 'all of your babecue sauce'.

The problem with that is that it would mean that the clerk would have the capability to quickly ascertain the balance available on any card you present for payment. Not sure I'd want that, either. I think they can often do it for store credit cards, though.

Most gift cards use the same mechanism as credit cards. The terminal doesn't know 'balance', it only knows 'approved', 'not approved' and 'seize card'.

The trend where folks say they're offended by opinions on topics that have nothing offensive in them, in order to quell conversations they're not willing to have -- when they started them.

Particularly political ones. They'll yell "I believe XYZ!" in a public setting, and act as if they're expecting a discussion, and then say "I'm offended" and walk away from the discussion they started if you disagree with them.

Essentially they think it is political discourse to walk around with a megaphone, yelling stuff with earplugs in their ears.

If you pull out an earplug and ask a question or state a fact that doesn't match what they're yelling, they're suddenly "offended" and it's your fault.

Hahaha. It's funny.

"How DARE you interrupt my inaccurate, misleading, propaganda! You sir, are offensive!"

And back to yelling into the megaphone. Which was pretty obnoxious behavior to begin with. ;)

Speaking of forced obsolescence, I heard a report yesterday that the new iPhone (5, I think it'll be) will have a different connector than all previous models had. That means all new accessories, chargers, docking stations, etc.

Why don't you simply buy one adapter and have it travel with your one new iphone5. Duh.

Why don't you simply buy one adapter and have it travel with your one new iphone5. Duh.
Because many accessories are designed to cradle the iPhone while it's plugged in, and won't be able to do that if there's an adapter in the way.:mad2:

Another driving peeve, rediscovered tonight.

How 'bout the guy who, as you are in the left lane, passing slower traffic, ZOOMS up on your ass. Noticing this, you expedite your pass and change to the center lane -- only to have the Zoomer either not pass, or pass in super slow-motion.

These are the guys who never use (or don't have) cruise control, and simply zoom up to whomever is in front of them, regardless of speed limit or traffic flow.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Another driving peeve, rediscovered tonight.

How 'bout the guy who, as you are in the left lane, passing slower traffic, ZOOMS up on your ass. Noticing this, you expedite your pass and change to the center lane -- only to have the Zoomer either not pass, or pass in super slow-motion.

These are the guys who never use (or don't have) cruise control, and simply zoom up to whomever is in front of them, regardless of speed limit or traffic flow.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Yup, happens regularly and a couple of times driving home today from Reno (very cool seeing you guys this weekend). I'll add to this, I dutifully pass slower traffic and move over to let Zoomer by and in his now-reduced-speed, slooowly passing me, I have to slow down for the right-lane vehicle I am closing in on. Aaaargh. I wonder why I try to be courteous.

Yup, happens regularly and a couple of times driving home today from Reno (very cool seeing you guys this weekend). I'll add to this, I dutifully pass slower traffic and move over to let Zoomer by and in his now-reduced-speed, slooowly passing me, I have to slow down for the right-lane vehicle I am closing in on. Aaaargh. I wonder why I try to be courteous.

Exactly!

And it was great to meet you, too. Always neat to be able to put a face with a name -- and we had a great time!

Sent from my Nexus 7

The same guy will also shoot through the gap between you and the car you just passed behind you and to the right in order to pass you at high speed in the right lane before you have a chance to move over for him.

People who ...

a) Don't know how to park properly, which starts this...

b) Open their car doors into the side of your vehicle.

c) While you're sitting in it.

d) Act like they never did anything.

e) roceed to walk away or continue getting in their car to leave without even looking to see if they caused any damage.

f) Act offended or in a hurry to go, when you get their attention by saying, "Excuse me, did you just open your door into mine?" as you go look to see what they did.

Like it's your fault that they're an idiot.

Here's one. I want to give a big FU to the people that think it's funny to unscrew the pepper shaker cap just enough so that when the next guy uses it you get a full plate of pepper or salt. That really ticks me off.

Cops who go down the highway snugged up tight on somebodies bumper so that oncoming traffic can't see them until it's too late.

Here's one. I want to give a big FU to the people that think it's funny to unscrew the pepper shaker cap just enough so that when the next guy uses it you get a full plate of pepper or salt. That really ticks me off.

Or the guys that grind lots of pepper into the cap of those plastic disposable grinders so that when you take off the cap, a boatload of pepper falls out all over your food. Ew.

Cops who go down the highway snugged up tight on somebodies bumper so that oncoming traffic can't see them until it's too late.

Similarly, cops who cruise down the interstate at 80 in a 60 zone. Hey, Barney, if there is a reason to drive 80, turn the lights on.

Similarly, cops who cruise down the interstate at 80 in a 60 zone. Hey, Barney, if there is a reason to drive 80, turn the lights on.

I prefer that to the ones that drive in the left lane at 55 in a 70 zone so they can spin around quick in the median as they are running radar. That completely screws up everybody because most people are scared to pass a cop even if they are not screwing up.

One of the best things about Android devices is they all share the micro-USB charge cord. No more buying all-new everything every time you buy a phone or tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I have a samsung galaxy tab and asus transformer that disagree with each other and this statement.

Sent from my motorola xoom....still not loving android. Hoping jellybean is all that and a bag of cherries.

I have a samsung galaxy tab and asus transformer that disagree with each other and this statement.

Sent from my motorola xoom....still not loving android. Hoping jellybean is all that and a bag of cherries.

??? I'm not following. Don't they share the same micro-USB charging cord?

Sent from my Nexus 7

??? I'm not following. Don't they share the same micro-USB charging cord?

Sent from my Nexus 7

Correct, both the asus and galaxy have a unique adapter. Asus is a 40 pin making it a possible match to Apple's. Didn't get a quick answer for the galaxy.

And for fun, Apple has an adapter from micro USB to their connector as required by law in the EU.

Correct, both the asus and galaxy have a unique adapter. Asus is a 40 pin making it a possible match to Apple's.

That ASUS of yours is the only Android device I have heard about that doesn't use the micro-USB standard.

I'm glad that problem has been resolved for most users. Having a box full of now-useless special charge cords, I feel for the iSheeple who are still stuck on that proprietary plug merry-go-round.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I'm glad that problem has been resolved for most users. Having a box full of now-useless special charge cords, I feel for the iSheeple who are still stuck on that proprietary plug merry-go-round.

I feel for the irrational who think us Apple users are suffering under $0.79 proprietary plug hardships.

http://www.amazon.com/Charging-Cabl...id=1348220754&sr=8-1&keywords=apple+usb+cable

The horror! That clearly qualifies as worthy of needing a special government subsidy to support my habit.

If I feel ultra rich, I can buy them three at a time for $1.85.

http://www.amazon.com/White-Cable-A...id=1348221067&sr=8-3&keywords=apple+usb+cable

But no one has THAT kind of money. Whoa.

That ASUS of yours is the only Android device I have heard about that doesn't use the micro-USB standard.

Sent from my Nexus 7
The motorola xoom has its own unique powercord. Last I knew, the micro-USB didn't support a thing except tethering it to a PC.

I feel for the irrational who think us Apple users are suffering under $0.79 proprietary plug hardships.

http://www.amazon.com/Charging-Cabl...id=1348220754&sr=8-1&keywords=apple+usb+cable

The horror! That clearly qualifies as worthy of needing a special government subsidy to support my habit.

If I feel ultra rich, I can buy them three at a time for $1.85.

http://www.amazon.com/White-Cable-A...id=1348221067&sr=8-3&keywords=apple+usb+cable

But no one has THAT kind of money. Whoa.

Those are for legacy Apple products. You know -- from before last week. :D

Wash, rinse, repeat with your new Apple product. I feel for ya -- I've got a box full of $30 car charge cords at the hangar for phones I no longer have. Glad to be DONE with that.

(Our house and hangar are starting to look ridiculous. We have 8 micro-USB charge cords plugged in around here -- and 4 more at the hangar. That's not counting the ones in our car. Now that they've settled on a standard, at least for Androids, someone needs to invent an octopus with more than one charge cord coming from a single plug. When we travel, its a PIA finding enough outlets for our electronics in any hotel room.)

Sent from my Nexus 7

The motorola xoom has its own unique powercord. Last I knew, the micro-USB didn't support a thing except tethering it to a PC.

Interesting. I didn't know that.

I hope we're really done with that multiple power cord crap going forward. It is great having cords plugged in everywhere that work in all of our devices.

Sent from my Nexus 7

People that use than when they mean then and then when they mean than. Really bother's me in advertising.

Those are for legacy Apple products. You know -- from before last week. :D

Wash, rinse, repeat with your new Apple product.

I don't have a new Apple product, and I'd say using one connector for ten years, is plenty.

(That connector was on iPods, remember those? Even the original hard drive based ones. Mine was still working until a month ago when I accidentally sent it for a swim. Oh gee, look... Everything I bought in the last ten years used the same cables. Now they may change it. Boo hoo. Who cares?)

Some of us bought products that used that connector the year after our Diamond Rio crapped out. Glad you finally joined the party ten years late and think your new toy is the coolest thing ever built. You're one of those precious newbie zealots you despise so much.

I've picked on Google's business model, but stooping so low as to give a rat's *** about a sync cable? Who frakkin' cares? Take cable out of new gadget box, plug in. Tough brainwork there.

It wasn't that long ago people were bitching that mini-USB cables were annoying and hard to find.

I've picked on Google's business model, but stooping so low as to give a rat's *** about a sync cable? Who frakkin' cares? Take cable out of new gadget box, plug in. Tough brainwork there.

It wasn't that long ago people were bitching that mini-USB cables were annoying and hard to find.

I'm currently looking for good quality, over the ear Bluetooth headphones. (I've got a great set of Motorola BT headphones, but they are the behind your head kind -- great for working, or working out, but not worth a damn for enjoying music in your easy chair) and Sony has a great looking pair -- that I have discarded because it uses yet another proprietary charging cord.

I'm simply not playing that "which cord does it use?" game anymore. If it doesn't use micro-USB, it's not getting bought.

You call it a little thing, but I would be furious if my new iPhone (and, presumably, all future iDevices) didn't fit into the myriad docks around the house. Heck, we've even got two iHomes in our household, from back in the days before phones supplanted standalone music players -- and we are an Android family. I know Apple households that have charging docks and iHomes in virtually every room, and their cars -- all rendered useless in a blink.

Well, unless they come up with an adaptor that works in a dock? The one I saw on the inter webs looks too big for that.

Of course, then you either carry the adapter around with you, or buy a jillion of them...

Sent from my Nexus 7

Jesus H Cripes. Really?!?

iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad, iPad 2, New iPad, all one chord.

After all that they change a cord. Give me a fricken break. So Apple made a change. It's not that big a deal and there's no need to call people names who buy the product. If you're going off the deep end because of a cord change after 8 devices and gazillions of units sold then perhaps you simply don't like to see a company dominate.

Jesus H Cripes. Really?!?

iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad, iPad 2, New iPad, all one chord.

After all that they change a cord. Give me a fricken break. So Apple made a change. It's not that big a deal and there's no need to call people names who buy the product. If you're going off the deep end because of a cord change after 8 devices and gazillions of units sold then perhaps you simply don't like to see a company dominate.

What's so funny isn't that they're changing the design -- it's that they are making y'all change to yet ANOTHER proprietary power cord, ignoring the worldwide micro-USB standard.

Ka-ching! There's another billion for Cupertino. :D

Sent from my Nexus 7

What's so funny isn't that they're changing the design -- it's that they are making y'all change to yet ANOTHER proprietary power cord, ignoring the worldwide micro-USB standard.

Yeah, it's terrible knowing stuff works. We see in the other thread how that USB "standard" (of which there's been far more than 3, only 3 were ratified, and no one is required to follow standards, anyway...) worked out for ya.

Yeah, it's terrible knowing stuff works. We see in the other thread how that USB "standard" (of which there's been far more than 3, only 3 were ratified, and no one is required to follow standards, anyway...) worked out for ya.

Yeah, I spoke too soon about a worldwide USB charge cord standard. We apparently had one that was progressing nicely until (wait for it...) Apple decided to invent their own standard method for devices to know whether they are plugged into PCs (and can therefore draw only 500 milliamps) or a wall/car charger (when they know to draw a full 2 amp charge.)

See the other thread for details on the two methods.

With Apple changing their standard, 12 volt car charge outlets can now be manufactured to one standard or the other -- but apparently not both. This has created widespread confusion in the (much larger) worldwide Android market, as we all try to figure out if our charging cords can fast (worldwide standard) or only trickle (Apple standard) charge our devices.

Sadly, there are no labels on the damned things to differentiate between the two standards. They look exactly alike, and will both work at the lower output (which is probably why they don't feel compelled to label them), but the Apple standard plugs won't allow the Nexus 7 (for example) to sense that it is not plugged into a PC, and will therefore not charge it (or any Android device) at the higher rate necessary to keep them alive in high demand situations for extended periods.

These Apple standard outlets work fine on iPads, of course. There is no word if charge cords made to the Android standard will work on iPads, or if they face a similar problem in reverse.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Ka-ching! There's another billion for Cupertino. :D

Sent from my Nexus 7
You do realize that it's more than a charging cable right? They use that cable to integrate with tons of other products, take a look at the car market. The USB standard does not allow Apple to interface with cars the way they do now. Example: My wife drives a Mini, there are a host of Mini apps that will track all sorts of data, including diagnostic, uploading maps to the car's GPS and being location aware.

Last edited:
Oh...forgot.

This thread is about pet peeves: People who will continue to hate on a product (political candiates included) rather than just agree to disagree and walk away.

Back