Personal Locator Beacon

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
What is the good the bad and ugly personal locator beacon on the market.

I like my FastFind because it is light and not real expensive. I have it attached to the outside of my bag in the passenger seat and can turn it on as part of my emergency procedures. I've never used it but have gone through the steps up to activation a couple of times for practice.

What is the good the bad and ugly personal locator beacon on the market.
It depends on your requirements: land, air, or sea. But the one I've seen used in more commercial operations is the ACR brand for various reasons. If I needed a PLB this would be the brand I would buy and even bought one for my dad for his weekend fishing trips on the Great Lakes.

ACR ResQLink™+ Personal Locator Beacon (PLB).
I’ve had one for years. I consider it critical because I fly places that doesn’t have good cell phone coverage.

Personally, I like the Garmin inReach. It allows for 2 way communication.

ACR ResQLink™+ Personal Locator Beacon (PLB).

@brien23 :
I have one and it is for sale. Never used (thankfully). This unit also broadcasts on 121.5 to aid close range location. ( Not sure but I think they all have that). Interested? Send me a PM. -Skip

To expand on the PLB ...there are several kinds, and I'm sure I don't have the whole list, but let me try.

Some simply you activate and they send a signal of your current position
Some send periodic updates-most sailors (my brother included) use these so people can track them out in the ocean-called breadcrumbs but that is another fairy tale
Some have communications features either send a position to an email or website or voice
Some float
Some activate automatically when wet

As with everything, features cost money. Some require ongoing payments.

I prefer the FastFind because it uses the more reliable international satellite system and the antenna is completely enclosed and won’t catch on anything. Also affordable and lightweight.

I carry it on my person on all cross-countries.

Is there any to avoid? Do they all "work" the same in terms of basics, besides the bells and wistles? Is there ones that are not reliable or whatnot?

I need to buy one asap, but am a bit intimidated as I don't really know what I need... I am going to Johnson Creek Idaho in a few weeks, I want to wear one flying in there, I would prefer waterproof as well. I don't plan on traversing all of Lake Michigan but at times would like to go to N Fox or Beaver Island which are 20 miles out or so...

Personally, I like the Garmin inReach. It allows for 2 way communication.

After witnessing the experience and rescue of a friend that recently crashed in the wilderness, I immediately went out and bought a Garmin inReach Mini. Two way communication is essential to a timely rescue. Two-way text messaging capability is the only reason why my friend is alive.

Is there any to avoid? Do they all "work" the same in terms of basics, besides the bells and wistles? Is there ones that are not reliable or whatnot?

I bought a SPOT years ago, paid the annual subscription ... other products came along with better features, so I cancelled the service (9 years ago) ... they still call every year acting like I didn't cancel service with them:mad::mad::mad:

Back