Personal 9/11 remembrances

Missa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AsGoodAsCake
Here in central PA there has been a memorial ride that draws at least 100 motorcycles every year with about 20 from the plant. I've tried to fly if the weather permits but don’t always get to it.

When I got in this morning, I asked Ted why he had his bus & not his bike… his answer I’m going flying today.

The kid who was in his High School in NYC the day the planes struck the towers, who never wanted to SEE a plane again… is going flying 7 years later.

Have a nice flight Ted… I think I have to call Scott and see if I can join you.

Missa

I hadn't thought of going flying as a 9/11 remembrance, but it seems right somehow. Unfortunately, weather around here isn't going to be suitable for it today. (Right after I typed that, there was the boom! of a nearby lightning strike.)

I was in Manhattan on 9/11/2001. I had an appointment to see a customer at 11 AM, three blocks east of the WTC. I turned on the TV to catcha weather forecast, and had it on in the background when they broke in with reports of a fire at the World Trade Center...and the rest is history.

I took the attached picture with a camera I bought on 9/13. It's of Central Park West, about 103rd Street. That street is usually bumper-to-bumper in the middle of the day.

Attachments

• CPW-103rd.jpg
    CPW-103rd.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 40
On September 14th, 2001, my brother Philip and I volunteered to assist in the Search and rescue efforts at the World Trade Center site.

As we drove across the George Washington Bridge on the night of the 14th, to the right we could see eerily-lit smoke billowing where the towers had been. NY City Police waved us on to the lane reserved for emergency workers. Phil was dressed in Firefighter turnout gear and I was in uniform. We arrived at the Jacob Javits Center which had been set up as the coordination center for all rescue efforts.

I parked my car and we were soon offered a ride down to the site in a Washington DC Fire Department Van. When we arrived at the site the streets were dark – all electric power had been cut off. Around the corner we saw the intense-blue glow of floodlights.

Turning that corner brought us face to face with devastation which pictures still only hint at. No pictures or video can convey the enormity of the scene – the sheer scale. Nothing can recreate the smell -- a smell like burning cars, trash, and electric fuse boxes. Before us the once great 110 story towers were now a smoldering heap, barely 75 feet high. Surrounding the site were shattered buildings, some barely standing (several were found structurally unsound and later razed). Everything was covered with millions of sheets of paper and a fine grey dust.

The contrast of the night with the brightness of the generator-powered lights surrounding the sight further intensified the surreal nature of the place. We had walked into what the Psalmist described as “The Valley of the shadow of death.” Death lay all about us, beneath our feet, and grasped for more victims as we crawled on jumbled steel with flames and toxic smoke issuing from beneath our precarious walkways.

The site was chaotic with little command and control evident. We walked the perimeter of the site until we saw a place we could work.

Near one enormous rubble pile a live body dog (as opposed to a cadaver dog trained to find dead people) barked excitedly at a spot in a side street that was filled up to fifteen feet thick with fallen debris from the North Tower. Twenty of us began working the spot with gloved hands and buckets. Phil and I went around the corner to get some shovels and crowbars. When we came back, there were at least fifty more men. Soon we had a full-blown bucket brigade working: about ten men in front, digging with shovels and crowbars and by hand, filling buckets, the rest behind, passing the buckets back. Some buckets were very light, containing just one long strand of rebar steel, others were painfully heavy, packed with wet dust and concrete. Nevertheless, we worked fast.

The bucket line had a rhythm -- turn left, hand off bucket, turn right, get new bucket. Soon there was a second line devoted to sending the empty buckets back. As diggers tired, they left the dig to those behind and walked to the back of the line. This happened without direction, like a veteran team.

Soon it was my turn, and I dug by turn with crowbar, shovel, and gloved hands. We dug down to a flattened truck. I found a jacket sleeve. We dug more. There was no one in the jacket. We felt relief mingled with disappointment. We were disappointed, because if it had been a body, at least someone would have a body to bury. By now we knew thousands were under the rubble, but so far less than a hundred had been found.

My brother was far out on the pile now. A FDNY Battalion chief called me over, "Captain, look, we gotta keep these guys back. Look at all those widow makers." He pointed up into the night sky, where in the glow of the lights I could see the large shards of glass and steel facade only partly torn away from the buildings on either side of us flap in the faint breeze caused by the heat of the fires below. "If one of those comes down we'll lose five guys -- I'm not losing anymore." the chief said. I agreed. We took turns keeping an eye on the widow makers, ready to sound the alarm if one should fall.

Phil came over to me, excited, but clearly scared. He had nearly fallen into a hole -- seventy feet straight down to the floor of the parking garage. The Chief sent search dogs in -- they sniffed the spot and barked, this time more excitedly. Soon, a squad of cave rescue experts along with EMTs rushed to the spot. Walkie-talkies yapped incessantly. Hope lifted.

There was a very large void below -- where the parking garages had collapsed, but left pockets of air. The chances were good that if there were survivors, they would be found there.

We all waited in silence, ordered not to make a sound so the cave rescue guys could listen for taps. 10 minutes passed. 20. 30....then, one by one the cave rescue guys slowly emerged from the hole. No more radio chatter, Tears streamed down hardened faces. Word came down -- “No survivors, only victims.”

There were moments of humanity that meant some much more by the contrast they presented to the devastation -- in a shattered Burger King across the street from the WTC, food from NY City's finest restaurants was served free to any rescue worker. I ate the best Shrimp Scampi ever while standing on Vesey Street, surrounded by firemen and soldiers also dining on five-star cuisine, all of us covered in the ubiquitous grey dust.

All along the streets surrounding the site were pallets filled with dog food, work gloves and socks, respirators, handy wipes and towels. I learned later that I’d missed the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches donated by a Kindergarten class in South Carolina. Each one had a note that said, "We made peanut butter and jelly because just like you, they stick together."

We returned to work, this time at the front end of the large pile where we stayed the rest of the day. We dodged plumes of hot gas and smoke emerging from under our feet. We sifted through tons of dust. We worked with dust masks on until we grew tired of sucking air through paper filters. Then we'd let them hang from our necks until smells and fumes became overpowering again.

In twenty-four hours of digging, I only recognized three objects from the pile: 1/2 a CD, a melted keyboard, and a woman's shoe. The shoe was not empty. It went to the morgue. Every piece could potentially identify a victim.

The bright light of day cut through the hazy smoke, but this Indian summer light was somehow inappropriate. Darkness seemed more respectful.

We left late in the afternoon, before nightfall. We both wanted to stay, but we also realized our hopes of helping in a rescue were over. Another FDNY chief told me, "Thanks, but this isn't a rescue anymore. It's a recovery. It's time for cranes and bulldozers. We're not gonna find anyone alive."

He was right.

I recall it like yesterday. My wife had left to take my daughter to Kindergarten and left the TV on I was home late for some reason and went to turn the TV off and saw the first tower on fire, thinking what freaking idiot pilot was circling so close to the towers ( I was not a pilot yet) They still didn't know what had happened. Then I saw it, the second plane hit the second tower. I could't beleive what I was seeing. Was it a replay of the first plane? No It was clearly the second tower the one not on fire. I remember thinking What the F...! It was so surreal I couln't figure out what was happening. Then the attacks on the Pentagon and the flight 93 Crash came on I knew we were being attacked. I recall calling some friends and my wife. She didn't know if she should go back to school and get my daughter.

I recall speaking with my dad on the phone and him crying as the Towers came down. He is an incredibly strong guy and was so moved by the massive loss of human life and tradgedy that had perhaps the biggest impact on me perhaps even more so that the acutal collapse.

I had to be in Court that day so left for Court. I knew the Judge pretty well so I went back in to his chambers and watched more TV while awaiting my case to be called. Then the rumors started.. Independence Hall is one of the next targets, The historic sites in Philadelphia. I recall thinking what the hell is the Judge doing still hearing cases in this situation. In hindsight it was the right thing to do. He continued with a hallmark of our Democracy in the Face of those that would try to destroy it.
That night it was kind of odd so many people showed up at my syanagogue for evening services without notice or word. Normally the weekday evening service would just get a minyan ( 10 people) that night it was over flowing. Prayer, Fear, Comfort, Community, Solidarity, Affirmation who knows I'm sure there were as many reasons why folks were there as were people.

G-D Bless America!

I was up flying the evening before regaining night currency. Saw the news coverage the next morning while getting ready to go to work. Heard more on the drive in. Didn't get much work done due to checking status on the internet.

Traffic into SEA from the south typically goes over the OLM VOR at FL200. You'd think we wouldn't notice it on the ground. Well, it is amazing how quiet it is at my house in the evening when nothing is flying (well, nothing except some Oregon National Guard F-15s now and then). And, I don't want to hear the skies that quiet again.

The thing I remember most about 9/11...

Feeling helpless, forced to watch on TV by my own conscience. And, there was nothing I could do about it or to help.

Sure, funds were contributed later.

But, at that moment when raw human power and decency to put your own life at risk to help others was needed most... I could do nothing.

Some time later when more and more were interviewed across the country, I found that to be a very common response by people. It was that sense of decency that helped to unite us and overcome the obstacles placed before us.

We went quite the distance with that and with the pride which became instilled in us as a result. But, I fear some of that pride... and decency... has slipped away.

Thanks, Dan -- great remembrance.

I think we all have a little hole in our soul, created by what we witnessed that day. I remember working in my home office when the flash came across Yahoo News that the World Trade Center was on fire after an airplane hit it.

I ran upstairs, flipped on the TV, and we all watched in horror as the day's events unfolded. I clearly remember watching CNN, listening to the talking head blather on for long seconds after the second aircraft had flown into the second tower. We were all shouting and pointing at the screen, beside ourselves that the anchorman hadn't been looking and had not noticed the second devastating impact.

It was surreal. It remains surreal.

The inhumanity of a handful of incredibly evil men will ring down the halls of history as the day America woke up to the tyranny of radical Islam. Let's hope that every action we've taken since 9/11/01 in defense of this country has been worth the cost.

Of course, we'll never know. The only indication of "victory" will be the absence of another 9/11-style attack. And the media isn't very good at reporting the absence of news.

I clearly remember the horrible feeling of being grounded by my own government, and the awful sight of a sky without contrails. Scuttlebutt at the airport for those long days was that we might *never* be allowed to fly again. None of us truly believed that would happen -- but in those dark days after 9/11, no one really knew WHAT could happen.

Just days after the flight ban was lifted, I loaded my family in our airplane and flew to the now-closed Meigs Field in Chicago. My little girl was just seven years old then, and I gritted my teeth in fury as one of Chicago's finest roughly wanded her with a metal detector. We were treated like criminals as we tried to make our way into downtown, and I will never forget how close we came to getting shot when our cab driver -- an Arab-looking fellow with few English-language skills -- tried to drive around the police barricade that served to cordon off the airport from the rest of the city.

As I said, it was surreal. Although I'm glad we got to fly into Meigs -- one of the most beautiful and useful airports in the world -- one last time before that bastard Daley closed it forever.

I've got a special section of 9/11 video on our aviation video website. It's not fun to watch, but we must never forget what happened that day. See it here:
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/world_trade_center_videos.htm

I remember four things.

First, I was sick that day and woke up late. I was hungry and went out to get something to eat. I turned on the radio and thought they were talking about the earlier WTC bombing. Then I realized that they weren't and the horror set in.

Second, I grew up in NYC. I left for college, which I always referred to as my escape from NY and never returned except for visits. I still had family in NYC. On September 11, 2001, I became a New Yorker again.

Third, I went to NYC about 2 weeks after. The flight from Denver was almost empty and the Captain came on to say that if the seat belt sign came on everyone's better be in their seats or the crew would think the worst. Usually bustling airports were empty. But when I got together with family and went to brunch in the heart of Manhattan, the strength of spirit of my fellow New Yorkers lifted mine as well.

Finally, I remember the days immediately following this horrible attack, and how almost the whole world (except for the obvious terrorist sympathizer states) was on our side. And how a certain ^$%&*(^! in the White House p*ssed away all that good will as quickly as he could.

I discovered this morning that after 7 years, the wound is still too raw to touch. I won't be reading this thread.

I really hate 9-11. Its hard for me to put it into words because so many people have such irrationally strong opinions of the event.

The thing that bothers me the most is that there were more people who dies of cancer in September 2001 than did during the World Trade attacks. But no one gets all teary eyes over cancer. Suicide bombs go off all the time in the middle east, yet no one seems to care about that either.

It just seems like theres a status quo of emotion that exists. You are expected to get all emotionally worked up over the events. But why? Why aren't you also expected to tear up when cancer is mentioned? Or the Darfur conflict where 16 times as many people have died so far as compared to the 9-11 attacks?

Its hard for me to talk about because its hard for people to explain why their emotions are what they are. All I know is that I'm not going to pretend that I was a nervous wreck during that day, or that I buried my head and cried as soon as I heard the news, because thats the truth. Maybe if I had known someone personally that dies (which a very very small percentage of people actually do), then I may react differently. The same goes or all other tragedies, such as the tsunami. Yeah, mass death sucks and its terrible that it happened, but I can't get all worked up over it.

I really hate 9-11. Its hard for me to put it into words because so many people have such irrationally strong opinions of the event.

The thing that bothers me the most is that there were more people who dies of cancer in September 2001 than did during the World Trade attacks. But no one gets all teary eyes over cancer. Suicide bombs go off all the time in the middle east, yet no one seems to care about that either.

It just seems like theres a status quo of emotion that exists. You are expected to get all emotionally worked up over the events. But why? Why aren't you also expected to tear up when cancer is mentioned? Or the Darfur conflict where 16 times as many people have died so far as compared to the 9-11 attacks?

Its hard for me to talk about because its hard for people to explain why their emotions are what they are. All I know is that I'm not going to pretend that I was a nervous wreck during that day, or that I buried my head and cried as soon as I heard the news, because thats the truth. Maybe if I had known someone personally that dies (which a very very small percentage of people actually do), then I may react differently. The same goes or all other tragedies, such as the tsunami. Yeah, mass death sucks and its terrible that it happened, but I can't get all worked up over it.

Huh. I thought I'd seen about every cold hearted, evil opinion I'd ever seen online. Someday, I hope to be so cold to honestly think that if I'm not personally affected...meh, no big deal...just another day in life.

Guess I haven't seen it all.

For me, it took a while to set in, but I didn't start crying until I went outside to put up our flag in honor. My parents only hang the flag on national holidays, but my father and I decided it would be good to do it that day.

Huh. I thought I'd seen about every cold hearted, evil opinion I'd ever seen online.
Exactly my point. Its that emotional status quo I mentioned in my post. Either you bury your head and cried that day, or you're a cold hearted monster.

Tell me, how long did you cry after putting up a Thai flag after the 2004 Tsunami?

Last edited:
The significant difference is it happened right here, as did Oklahoma, as did New Orleans. Not 10,000 miles away in a foreign land but RIGHT HERE! Things like that just do not happen. Those were Americans. I suspect there was great emotion about Pearl Harbor. What we did to the Japanese Americans would bear that out.
Sure, you can feel sympathy for Darfur, or Somalia, or any other disaster that befalls the world but there is a special connection when it happens to your fellow citizens.
And frankly, if we can't feel for our own, who can?

The significant difference is it happened right here, as did Oklahoma, as did New Orleans. Not 10,000 miles away in a foreign land but RIGHT HERE! Things like that just do not happen. Those were Americans. I suspect there was great emotion about Pearl Harbor. What we did to the Japanese Americans would bear that out.

Sure, you can feel sympathy for Darfur, or Somalia, or any other disaster that befalls the world but there is a special connection when it happens to your fellow citizens.
And frankly, if we can't feel for our own, who can?

You don't consider people from Africa as one of "your own"? Are they not humans too? To me, a death of an American in NYC is just as tragic as a death in Somalia. I don't get worked up over the deaths in Somalia, so why should I get worked up over deaths in NYC?

Interesting perspectives. I did sit fixated on CNN the entire night of 9/11. (I didn't even know about the event until that afternoon.) And I was extremely emotional afterwards, and even now I'm much more likely to come close to tears than I was before the event. And I didn't feel that way after many other horrific events, both here and abroad. Maybe I should have, but I don't think that one can sustain that level of emotional intensity safely. Maybe that makes me the cold-hearted one. :dunno:

Exactly my point. Its that emotional status quo I mentioned in my post. Either you bury your head and cried that day, or you're a cold hearted monster.

Tell me, how long did you cry after putting up a Thai flag after the 2004 Tsunami?

Well, the day I find out that terrorists put u...

You know what, you're a troll. Find another thread, dude, this one is for adults to speak in.

Last edited:
You don't consider people from Africa as one of "your own"? Are they not humans too? To me, a death of an American in NYC is just as tragic as a death in Somalia. I don't get worked up over the deaths in Somalia, so why should I get worked up over deaths in NYC?

Why?

Those were our people -- our friends, our neighbors, our fellow rescue workers -- innocently killed. They died in horrific ways, and I saw too many of the half-empty body bags filled with remnants of people burned to death in an inferno, or crushed to death, or rendered after falling 100 stories to concrete. Many of those killed were there to assist others.

Apparently you don't share that kinship, and -- as horrible and utterly reprehensible an opinion yours is -- I'm very glad it is a small, lunatic fringe minority, but one we endure, for the sake of freedom.

The rest of the American people exhibited the best that America can be in that very dark moment, and if you didn't see that, you are to be pitied.

The significant difference is it happened right here, as did Oklahoma, as did New Orleans. Not 10,000 miles away in a foreign land but RIGHT HERE! Things like that just do not happen.
I think the difference is that it made people in this country feel vulnerable in a way that they hadn't before. It was also killing on a much bigger scale than we are used to seeing. However, when you take it down to the individual level, if your family member was killed in a street shooting or a traffic accident or some other more imaginable way it would probably be as sad for you as for the family members of the victims of 9/11.

Well, I was gonna stay silent.

At the time, I lived at 1211 South Eads St. in Arlington, less than a mile from the Pentagon.

From 1991-2000 I was at DEA HQ, directly across I-395 from the Pentagon. In 2001 I was a contractor, working at Treasury (1 block from the white house) and at DEA HQ.

My wife had lived in Manhattan until 1995, and worked for Marriott Corp, both at the WTC Marriott and at the Marquis in Times Square.

On the day in question, I was at my company HQ in Fairfax, when someone called me about a plane hitting the WTC. Since I'm the "resident pilot" in my company, I usually get called when there's a major plane accident. As I tried to figure out how an airliner could accidently hit a building like that after takeoff, the news showed the second impact, and I knew that this was a deliberate act. I called the DEA command center to check in - there's a sort of "reserve" in federal law enforcement, where retired/separated folks can be deputized to assist in times of emergency. They weren't sure what was going on, and as they were taking my contact information there was a loud noise - the pentagon had just been hit. That ended that call as they decided to evacuate the buildings. I spent the rest of the morning watching the TV, and explaining how much an airliner weighed and how much fuel they carried. My wife checked in and said that she was waiting to hear if her former roomate was accounted for (she was, eventually). When we finally got home that night the air smelled... well if you've been around a mass casualty with fire you know what the smell is, and if not, there's no way to describe it. Our building managment had had the good sense to go into everyone's unit and close all open windows, so our condo was tolerable.

On September 15th the ban on GA flying was lifted (though there were still heavy restrictions, I think only IFR flights were allowed at first), and I took a friend up to Norwood to retrieve his Bonanza where he was forced to land on the 11th. We crossed the Hudson north of Manhattan, but the smoke was still going and clearly visible.

On the 17th my phone rang and I spent two weeks helping out in the investigation, generally doing case management things so current agents could get out in the streets.

I have one final comment. NYC was the hardest hit, and yet there were no permanent restrictions on GA in that airspace due to 9/11. You can still go circle the Statue of Liberty in your single, take the Hudson Tour, and marvel at the city. I wish the same could be said for DC and Chicago. Our federal leaders could take a page from the courage and common sense of the people of NYC. Chicago is a lost cause - those idiots keep re-electing Daley, so they deserve him.

I think the difference is that it made people in this country feel vulnerable in a way that they hadn't before. It was also killing on a much bigger scale than we are used to seeing. However, when you take it down to the individual level, if your family member was killed in a street shooting or a traffic accident or some other more imaginable way it would probably be as sad for you as for the family members of the victims of 9/11.

I can understand if you were personally there, or if you personally know people who were killed, but otherwise, to me you're just a poser unless you act the same way when you hear about a tragedy somewhere else in the world. To me, a human is a human, a tragedy is a tragedy, and a death is a death, regardless of where it happens. I have a hard time believing someone when they say things like "the second I heard the second tower fell, I BURST INTO TEARS AND CRIED FOR HOURS!!!", I can't help but roll my eyes. It should be insulting to those who were really there and had to actually deal with the event on a personal level. I have no personal connection to the tragedy, so I'm not going to go around acting like I was.

If you're the kind of person who burst into tears whenever you hear a bunch of people die, then sure, but otherwise I just get the felling that the person is saying that to, like I said earlier, maintain the "emotional status quo".

The fact that we still act like 9/11 was some kind of world changing event, is a terrible example of American ethnocentrism.

The fact that we still act like 9/11 was some kind of world changing event, is a terrible example of American ethnocentrism.

It was world changing, if you hadn't noticed.

People who claim to cry for all actually cry for none.

Callousness and disregard are universal values, as you've clearly proven

to me you're just a poser unless you act the same way when you hear about a tragedy somewhere else in the world.
There's one difference you're omitting to consider: Unlike the examples you cite, the 9/11 attacks were just that, deliberate, calculated attacks on innocent civilians. They were the first time American soil had been attacked since Pearl Harbor, the first attacks on the continental US in nearly two hundred years, and the first time an attack targeted any significant number of people who were not in the military. You expect us to treat those attacks the same as natural disasters? Getting mad at an earthquake is pointless. Getting mad at those who deliberately attacked civilians is a good thing.

Personally, one of the things I remember most vividly about 9/11 was the images of Palestinians dancing in the streets, celebrating the deaths of thousands of innocent Americans. That's when I lost any sympathy whatsoever for the Palestinian cause. My response to the Palestinian problem is best left to the Spin Zone.

The sister of the captain of American 77, the flight that crashed into the Pentagon, said it better than I can, as reported in the Power Line blog.

Last edited:
Chicago is a lost cause - those idiots keep re-electing Daley, so they deserve him.

Amen. I worked for the Chicago Tribune in the late 80s/early 90s, and calling that city a lost cause is charitable, at best.

I was somewhere in the air between Denver and Sun Valley, Idaho. About 30 minutes out of Sun Valley ATC told us that once we got there we wouldn't be able to depart because there was a ground stop in the entire country. We ended up staying there for 3 days and 2 nights until they let Part 135 airplanes fly again. What I remember most from the days afterwards besides being very, very busy were all the new "security" rules and procedures that were implemented in a haphazard fashion by all the different airports and agencies which each seemed to have their own way of doing things and would change daily.

It was world changing, if you hadn't noticed.

People who claim to cry for all actually cry for none.

Callousness and disregard are universal values, as you've clearly proven

It most definitely wasn't world changing. "US changing" yes, but other countries are the same as they were before, minus US invasion, if that may be the case.

Anyways, do you think terrorism didn't exist before 9/11? Do you think mass genocide didn't occur before 9/11? The only reason it was US changing, was because we, having been driven by our own fear, made it US changing.

There's one difference you're omitting to consider: Unlike the examples you cite, the 9/11 attacks were just that, deliberate, calculated attacks on innocent civilians. They were the first time American soil had been attacked since Pearl Harbor, the first attacks on the continental US in nearly two hundred years, and the first time an attack targeted any significant number of people who were not in the military. You expect us to treat those attacks the same as natural disasters? Getting mad at an earthquake is pointless. Getting mad at those who deliberately attacked civilians is a good thing.

Personally, one of the things I remember most vividly about 9/11 was the images of Palestinians dancing in the streets, celebrating the deaths of thousands of innocent Americans. That's when I lost any sympathy whatsoever for the Palestinian cause. My response to the Palestinian problem is best left to the Spin Zone.

The sister of the captain of American 77, the flight that crashed into the Pentagon, said it better than I can, as reported in the Power Line blog.

You're speaking politically. Americans have the right to be mad at other organizations for attacking us. I'm saying those who have no personal involvement in 9/11 have no business acting like they do.

It most definitely wasn't world changing. "US changing" yes, but other countries are the same as they were before, minus US invasion, if that may be the case.

Well, if you asked the average person in the world if they thought the United States changed on 9/11/01, I believe they'd say "yes".

Anything that changes the U.S. is, by definition, "world changing". Just ask the Iraqis...

Anyways, do you think terrorism didn't exist before 9/11? Do you think mass genocide didn't occur before 9/11? The only reason it was US changing, was because we, having been driven by our own fear, made it US changing.
It wasn't a change throughout the world? Perhaps not in countries such as DPRK, PRC, the old Republic of Iran, Iran and several others.

But, there were people in free nations throughout the world who were shocked and hurt by this action. The United States is the most powerful nation in the world. If we could sustain such an attack and loss of life by this means, a great many other countries that do not have the level of defense and border security we have are indeed vulnerable.

I think your position is heartless and indicates you have no sense of patriotism.

You're speaking politically. Americans have the right to be mad at other organizations for attacking us. I'm saying those who have no personal involvement in 9/11 have no business acting like they do.

Any chance you're willing to respect those that feel powerfully about this and shut your mouth for a little while?

Your comments belong in spin zone. Do you also troll military boards and call them babykillers? I bet ya do.

Ok, that's enough. See where the thread title is "Personal 9/11 remembrances"? People feel what they feel and don't need to be lectured on how they *should* feel. This goes for both sides. It's a pet peeve of mine. :target:

Like most, I'll always remember that morning. My radio tech calling up and telling me that a plane had crashed into a building in NYC. We turned on the TV in dispatch and every channel was showing the live scene. I remember thinking: How could a plane just fly into that gynormous building? It was a beautiful, clear blue sky perfect day, how could you NOT SEE IT? Must have been a mechanical issue or a catastrophic failure of something. It wasn't until the second plane, which was clearly aiming for the other tower, that I realized what a flippen idiot I was.

That second plane had me scrambling for the phone. A friend of mine flies for NWA. Her husband flies 767's for AA. No answer at their house for three days. No victims names released either. On the fourth day, my friend calls me. She's in tears, and reminds me that 9-11-01 was their first anniversary and they had taken a couple days of to celebrate. They lost friends that day.

And this past week, our esteemed Governor, Chris Gregoire, made a proclamation that 9-11 will forthwith be known as 9-1-1 Dispatcher Recognition Day. Gee, thanks, Gov. Are you truly that f-ing clueless? How absolutely wonderful to celebrate us 911 dispatchers on the anniversary date of one of the great tragedies of this country. idiot.

Last edited:
And this past week, our esteemed Governor, Chris Gregoire, made a proclamation that 9-11 will forthwith be known as 9-1-1 Dispatcher Recognition Day. Gee, thanks, Gov. Are you truly that f-ing clueless? How absolutely wonderful to celebrate us 911 dispatchers on the anniversary date of one of the great tragedies of this country. idiot.

Yes, she is that clueless. And that's as far as I'm going to go in this thread on that subject.

I was sitting in 8th grade history class. Another teacher came in and told ours what had happened (airplane hit the WTC). We were told if we finished our review of some stupid event that didn't matter we'd be allowed to watch CNN. Well we never finished.

The next class was English. The English teacher still thought the day's curriculum was more important but did leave the TV on mute.

I remember looking out the window and staring up into the clear blue sky wondering where the next attack would be and how as a society we were so unable to process the event and mostly just ignored it. I didn't want to be sitting in school and I wanted to go home until the events unfolding were made more clear.

I can understand if you were personally there, or if you personally know people who were killed, but otherwise, to me you're just a poser unless you act the same way when you hear about a tragedy somewhere else in the world.

The difference is this: The vast majority of us don't know anybody in Indonesia or Darfur or wherever other tragedies strike. Almost all of us know somebody in NYC. For minutes, hours, or days after 9/11 we wondered, until we were finally able to contact them.

In addition, many of us have been to NYC, have seen the towers that used to always be standing there, around the corner, constantly over you. We're used to seeing death and destruction in faraway places like Baghdad, the Gaza Strip, etc. but we had our own little protected world here on the opposite side of the globe from all that nastiness.

That is why 9/11 affects us more than tsunamis, dictators, and until 9/11, terrorists. It was thousands of miles closer to home, there were thousands of innocent people just like us that were killed. Not those people on the other side of the world who may be hunting for their food each day. People wearing suits, carrying briefcases, driving Chevys and drinking their morning Starbucks.

Catastrophic events affect us all differently, and for you to belittle anyone for their reaction to them is completely uncalled for and utterly disgusting.

I was going to work late that morning, for some reason now since forgotten. Both my wife and I were up and she had the tv on, as she always does. I recall the sick feeling in my stomach hearing about the first plane hitting the tower, thinking "a plane, any plane, does not just 'hit a building like that' - there's more to this thing'. Then watching the second plane hit the second tower confirmed to me that this was a deliberate act of war. I was ready, at that instant, to go back to active duty.

I drove into work and as I sat down at my desk, it struck me that our little company had 2 people at the towers right then - they were there to make a presentation for venture capital funding for this little startup, and staying at the Marriott there. Two college aged kids of one of the guys were interning at the company, and both were desperately trying to reach their dad all morning. I don't recall the details of when and how, but both employees were able to contact folks at home and got word to us that they were ok. They had gone back to the hotel to retrieve some presentation materials before the meeting and were spared being in the first tower that was hit because of that.

My office was near Boulder airport and my drive was past Jeffco airport at the time - the empty skies for those days after really haunted me.

Back