Perfect off airport landing after engine failure, then idiot arrives...

Wow. I bet they did not see that one coming.

Wonder how that’s going to play out between the insurance companies.

The guy in the SUV was just plane truckin' along and decided to wing it ...

Ummm... I think I gotta fault the plane occupants on this one. There was ONE bad place to stand which could have turned into a 3-stooges grade slapstick injury, and sure enough, that's the spot they picked.

Ummm... I think I gotta fault the plane occupants on this one. There was ONE bad place to stand which could have turned into a 3-stooges grade slapstick injury, and sure enough, that's the spot they picked.
Yep, better get that thing COMPLETELY off the road while there's still momentum or somebody is sure to smack into you, if they haven't done it right after you touched down. Nobody has experience with how quickly a small plane ahead decelerates after landing, including most pilots. No brake lights, don't ya know.

Luck was with them ,fortunate that there were more serious injuries. I wonder if the state police cited either the pilot or the suv driver.

Yep, better get that thing COMPLETELY off the road while there's still momentum or somebody is sure to smack into you, if they haven't done it right after you touched down. Nobody has experience with how quickly a small plane ahead decelerates after landing, including most pilots. No brake lights, don't ya know.
Pretty sure how fast they decelerated doesn’t matter since the SUV came along “5-10 minutes later”. That said, a wingtip over the road ,might be hard to see

Pretty sure how fast they decelerated doesn’t matter since the SUV came along “5-10 minutes later”. That said, a wingtip over the road ,might be hard to see
This is why I carry road flares in the plane at all times. Can’t be too prepared.

Seems to me like more reason to land in a field (assuming one is available). Or, at least turn the airplane 90 degrees - shouldn't have been hard in spite of the tailwheel being on the wrong end. But, we should wait for Gryder to explain this before jumping to conclusions.

plane_2.png

Seems to me like more reason to land in a field (assuming one is available). Or, at least turn the airplane 90 degrees - shouldn't have been hard in spite of the tailwheel being on the wrong end. But, we should wait for Gryder to explain this before jumping to conclusions.

plane_2.png

That’s post-impact with the SUV, right? Isn’t that the blue car in the background? If so, I wonder how much it had moved from its initial pre-impact position.

That’s post-impact with the SUV, right? Isn’t that the blue car in the background? If so, I wonder how much it had moved from its initial pre-impact position.

According to the article linked above, quoting a pilot receiving instrument training who flew over to check on the plane:

King also said the plane originally was facing south and in the right lane of the highway before it was hit by the SUV. Also, several vehicles were able to pass the plane on the road before the SUV hit it, he said.

It's confusing, though, because earlier the article states it landed on the left shoulder. :confused:

From the pilot perspective, looks like they picked the left shoulder. So they landed against oncoming traffic? That's fun.

I know nobody's supposed to push down on the tail of these things, but this was the prime moment to ignore that "rule", and swing the wings out of the roadway, putting the plane at a 45 degree angle. Then stand freaking CLEAR of the thing while sorting out who's problem it now is.

Oh well, nobody killed "despite all", so that's a win I guess :D

Just thinkin'...

All my off airport landings were perfect.

Also all my off airport landings were planned....

I wonder if the SUV was on "auto-drive."

Not seeing much damage to the plane. Here's another report:
https://www.reviewjournal.com/local...lands-on-us-95-near-kyle-canyon-road-2708166/

So according to that, it landed on the right shoulder of the southbound lanes, facing southbound (with traffic), then was hit on the left wing and spun 180° to face northbound (against traffic). That makes sense.

I’d expect a lot more visible damage in the photos as well, but we’re lacking closeups of the left wingtip.

Back