Pencil Whipped Annuals

The English language has a gender-neutral pronoun; "he". Way too many folks get wrapped around the axle about it. Some of them even mean well.

I was simply using it as an example of how literalists can over interpret things, to the point where they had to actually write a new rule to stop the nonsense.

Another example, again from appendix D and one that even some folks here have insisted upon is that the inspecting IA must personally "thoroughly" clean the aircraft and engine. Of course when faced with the prospect of paying their mechanic seventy five bucks an hour to wash and wax their airplane they tend to back off. :rolleyes:

Where I work, doing heavy maintenance checks on transport catagory aircraft, aircraft coming into check have a workscope, similar/equivalent to a GA inspection checklist. Our maintenance check is comprised of routine task cards, inspections, lubes, operational checks, etc. If, during the accomplishment of those task cards, a questionable condition should be found, a non-routine maintenance item will/should be generated to have the item checked more thoroughly. Sometimes they are obviously discrepancies, sometimes they need disassembled for in service wear dimensional checks. Point is; the same goes for a GA inspection. An inspection can turn into a maintenance task.

Last edited:
Thank you.....I didn't think Tom knew that. :D

I showed you a FAR that says inspections are part of maintenance. No where does any FAR say that inspections and maintenance can not be completed concurrently. In fact some inspections must include disassembly and reassembly, and both recorded separately, as in AD compliance.

Where I work, doing heavy maintenance checks on transport catagory aircraft, aircraft coming into check have a workscope, similar/equivalent to a GA inspection checklist. Our maintenance check is comprised of routine task cards, inspections, lubes, operational checks, etc. If, during the accomplishment of those task cards, a questionable condition should be found, a non-routine maintenance item will/should be generated to have the item checked more thoroughly. Sometimes they are obviously discrepancies, sometimes they need disassembled for in service wear dimensional checks. Point is; the same goes for a GA inspection.

It is not required to occur that way in part 91. FAR 43 does not apply to transport category aircraft that are on maintenance programs. Plus the A&P-IA is not allowed to do those inspections.

Back