Paxrep on United

ebykowsky

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
goalstop
Flying home Wednesday via United/Continental (or whatever they are today) through IAD. I've almost exclusively taken US Air (or whatever it is now) in the past, and am wondering how United is... I'll be on a CRJ 700 and a 200 for the flights; how's the airline? enough room? snacks on the way? Let me know how you like them... not that this will change my travel arangments what-so-ever. I'm just hoping for comfy seats and some Biscoff!

I remember not paying attention to what we were flying one day about 12-13 years ago - 2000 I think - and we ended up flying from Hartford to Orlando on a CRJ-200 - that was horrible - and to this day I will not take one on a leg longer than 60 min. I have and will wait for a different flight.

Last time I was in Dulles, United cancelled three flights, then the reps were taking bribes to get people out of line. After spending the night there, they gave me a worthless taxi voucher, that I wound up having to pay 100 bucks for a cab ride to Reagan to catch a flight on US Airways. I'd rather be riding in the back of a hearse than be on a United flight ESPECIALLY at Dulles.

Great! Sounds like I may be in for a great time. Maybe I'll just hire my CFI to fly me IFR back home.

Actually, I've given up - I fly first class now. Under 800nm - I fly myself unless there is ice. Over that its first class and no RJ's unless I'm connecting in less than 90 min.

Its all a business expense - I simply buy a coach ticket which I charge the client and upgrade it. At least with a PAID first class ticket you are at the absolute top of the reaccomodation list- and after spending $10k on tickets United actually notices and gives you a phone number to call that gets answered actually.

No one should ever wait in line - get a seat and get on the phone with the airline - or go to their club - spend the $50 and have them reaccommodate you. Once the ticket issue is fixed you can use a kiosk for everything else.

Last edited:
I fly United exclusively for work, and fly RJs frequently around the Rocky Mountain region. I've flown 11 segments in the last 6 months.
Overall, no complaints. A coach seat is a coach seat. They seem to have actually improved a bit over the last few years.

Bump up to Economy Plus if you can, it's worth it.
Do NOT get an exit row seat on an RJ. The removable window panel actually impinges into shoulder space, so there's LESS shoulder space in an exit row, and there's no additional leg room.

Actually, I've given up - I fly first class now. Under 800nm - I fly myself unless there is ice. Over that its first class and no RJ's unless I'm connecting in less than 90 min.

Its all a business expense - I simply buy a coach ticket which I charge the client and upgrade it.

Unfortunately, my company does not allow personal aircraft travel :mad2:

I also upgrade to when possible. With much of my regional travel, the RJs are single-class aircraft. Also, with some last-minute travel, 1st is already booked (and last minute refundable coach paid upgrade can be pricy).
I got a United Club Card that gives 1.5 miles per $ charged, and use lots of miles.

But 1st class is EXPENSIVE. I try to dress in slacks and a collared shirt when I travel, then ask the female desk attendant if she'd be so kind as to upgrade me... that doesn't work most of the time. I need to try the "I'm a big guy, and if you put me up front, our CG will be further forward, and we will be more inherently stable." Otherwise, I try to go for exit rows--the poor man's first class. And I disagree about the same amount of leg room in exit row on the RJ's. They're at least a bit better--and leg room is more important to me than shoulder room.

I like US Air, but Delta is my favorite of them all--good snacks, plenty of Coke products, and roomy seats; unless you're packed into an MD88 :mad2:

But 1st class is EXPENSIVE. ...
And I disagree about the same amount of leg room in exit row on the RJ's. They're at least a bit better--and leg room is more important to me than shoulder room.

1st is expensive, usually. Most of the time I use miles.
But I have broken many bones and have more damaged than undamaged joints. Airline travel is an exercise in pain management for me.

You're right, exit rows vary from plane to plane. SeatGuru is your friend, to figure out what is better and not.
The SkyWest RJs on the Denver/Salt Lake and Denver/Bismarck are configured with no extra leg room in exit rows (not sure how that meets requirements, but...)

Flying home Wednesday via United/Continental (or whatever they are today) through IAD. I've almost exclusively taken US Air (or whatever it is now) in the past, and am wondering how United is... I'll be on a CRJ 700 and a 200 for the flights; how's the airline? enough room? snacks on the way? Let me know how you like them... not that this will change my travel arangments what-so-ever. I'm just hoping for comfy seats and some Biscoff!

You will get neither, plane is cramped and uncomfortable and service non existent.

1K on United this year. 133,000 miles on them and their partners last year. I run a very high percentage of domestic flights in 1st due to complimentary upgrades. SEA to EWR tomorrow, for example. International flights are typically in cattle car, but at least E+. The extra few inches of legroom are lifesavers. That will be next week on a run to Sydney. Don't get me started on my experience with ANA last November.

I'm somewhat surprised to hear people complaining about RJs on here. I like flying them better. No middle seat, fewer passengers to deal with, etc. I'm probably the only person who specifically looks for RJs on my flights when I have to fly commercial. :)

United Premier plus, I just made that in Nov. I'm in DFW area, and I should be on AA(USAir) more, but seems most of my destinations are served as well or better by United.

None of them are great. I like SW business model, and the people are generally nicer, but the planes are the same, seats the same, and the cattle loading sucks. United has a lot CRJs, and I get on them regularly. They don't seem any different to me except no middle seat.

I'm somewhat surprised to hear people complaining about RJs on here. I like flying them better. No middle seat, fewer passengers to deal with, etc. I'm probably the only person who specifically looks for RJs on my flights when I have to fly commercial. :)

I actually love the DHC-8's. I find there to be a ton of legroom. As for the RJ's, I think a 737 is much more comfortable--just book early and get a window or aisle (I like window). My peeve is how the ceiling of the RJ's slopes up into an exit sign that juts down. I hit my head on those too often, being 6'4".

I actually love the DHC-8's. I find there to be a ton of legroom. As for the RJ's, I think a 737 is much more comfortable--just book early and get a window or aisle (I like window). My peeve is how the ceiling of the RJ's slopes up into an exit sign that juts down. I hit my head on those too often, being 6'4".

If you get an aisle, you can stretch your legs into the aisle from time to time. I prefer that to a window, especially on longer flights.

If you get an aisle, you can stretch your legs into the aisle from time to time. I prefer that to a window, especially on longer flights.

I always end up bumping the cart and taking a minute to get my foot back in and situated when they go by for drinks... and the window is nice to rest your head against on long flights. Plus, I love looking out the window--I try to predict when the flaps/speed brakes/etc. will come out--hey, I gotta pass the time somehow! Also, I like taking along my Bendix King and following the course, and that needs a view of the sky. And I'm young and flexible unlike all you old fogies!

On and off quicker too. I try for an aisle seat on the RJs. More room I think.

United has no RJ's. Those are outsourced flights on other airlines. Sure, its the same to you. You bought a United ticket. It's not the same to me. If you get on my flight, come up and say hi, I'll show you the 737NG.

Next time I get on a Utd 737, I'll ask the Capt. if he is Otto the pilot :) What route do you fly? Or does it vary? Also I've always wanted to know if pilots are generally paired with the same crew and aircraft each time.

I took a United Express flight out of IAD to Nashville, and they wanted $7 for some snacks. I did get a free soda/juice/water, though.

Next time I get on a Utd 737, I'll ask the Capt. if he is Otto the pilot :) What route do you fly? Or does it vary? Also I've always wanted to know if pilots are generally paired with the same crew and aircraft each time.

Routes vary. Let's say I'm doing North America at this time (Canada to Panama). I normally get the same first officer for a whole "trip", but different flight attendants all the time. The plane changes often too, sometimes every leg.

United Express is not United nor Continental but one of the various regional carriers that operate under that name (Cape Air, Chautauqua, CommutAir, ExpressJet, GoJet, Mesa, Republic, ShuttleAmerica, Silver, Skywest, or TransStates) . Unitinental does not operate RJ's.

American Eagle on the other hand is entirely owned by American.

Well, the point is now moot. I will be flying USAir through KCLT instead. Got a call at 1pm (30 hrs till wheels up) saying my second leg had been cancelled. Called United and it took 15min to talk to a rep. They had cancelled due to impending bad weather, and the worker got me all squared away with the different airline rather nicely. Have to say that United did well here!

They had cancelled due to impending bad weather,!

You can thank the passenger bill of rights for this. Airlines can cancel for free or pay fines for delays. I guess passengers would rather not get there to avoid being late. Express flights will cancel first to keep the mainline aircraft on time(ish) during weather or other delays. For example, the 6 flights a day on an RJ to some local airport will cancel some flights before the 777 flight to Hong Kong does. Believe it or not, the airline industry is driven by what the passenger wants; and they got it.

You can thank the passenger bill of rights for this. Airlines can cancel for free or pay fines for delays. I guess passengers would rather not get there to avoid being late.

I'd rather know that my flight is cancelled more than 24 hours in advance than have them tell me at the gate... This way, I can make other arrangements. I was originally on the last flight home, and now I'm on an earlier one, so even if that gets cancelled, I still may be able to make it home that day--if not, I miss my checkride :yikes:

I'll take any of the ERJ-145 series and the EMB-170/175/190/195 and the CRJ7/9/1000, but no way on a CRJ200. The Canadians really messed up with the window line on that jet.

United Express is not United nor Continental but one of the various regional carriers that operate under that name (Cape Air, Chautauqua, CommutAir, ExpressJet, GoJet, Mesa, Republic, ShuttleAmerica, Silver, Skywest, or TransStates) . Unitinental does not operate RJ's.

American Eagle on the other hand is entirely owned by American.

Why don't the majors fly the RJs themselves?

Because they would have to pay the pilots livable wages. It's cheaper to outsource.

Airline <> restaurant

The idea is to get from A to B, why do people complain about the food?:)

On a transcon that's not such a big deal. I would have survived my SEA - EWR flight today by getting something at the airport before departure. However, this coming Saturday is SFO - SYD and I'm glad they still provide meals in cattle car on those flights.

Airline <> restaurant

The idea is to get from A to B, why do people complain about the food?:)

More so with luggage, but food is the same principle: I don't have to file separate expenses as it it used to be because everything was prepaid on whomever's card.

You can thank the passenger bill of rights for this. Airlines can cancel for free or pay fines for delays. I guess passengers would rather not get there to avoid being late.
I'd rather know that my flight is cancelled more than 24 hours in advance than have them tell me at the gate...

More accurately, I'd rather have my flight cancelled than spend 8 hours stuck on the ramp AND THEN cancel my 90 minute flight.

Plus, I'd rather know 24 hours ahead of time and be able to reschedule with my client, than find out 2hrs after scheduled departure that the plane ain't coming.

Back