Paxrep on United

Airline <> restaurant

The idea is to get from A to B, why do people complain about the food?:)

Not all of us fly 90 minute flights.

I've done several 10-12 hour flights, and multiple meals really are necessary for those. And service is always a LOT better. I once got an apology from ANA that coach was full and I'd have to sit in first class, on a really long flight from NRT to SFO. It sucks, but someone has to do it. :)

Because they would have to pay the pilots livable wages. It's cheaper to outsource.

Completely inaccurate statement. Even with lower hourly crew pay, the mainline carriers pay their RJ operators much more per seat mile than mainline narrowbody costs. Seems counterintuitive but the numbers don't lie. United has historicaly paid it's Express operators 18 to 21 cents per available seat mile. Narrow body mainline costs on the 737 or 319 is less than 15 cents per seat mile. As far as fuel effeciency goes, the RJs are some of the biggest gas guzzlers on the planet. And UAL pays for their fuel. Check out airlinefinancials.com.

Why do the mainlines do it? Frequency!! It's better marketing to say we have 4 RJs a day that connect with international banks than have one or 2 737s that might force connecting pax to wait an extra hour or two.

Southwest has never operated or paid another airline to operate an RJ for them.

Completely inaccurate statement. Even with lower hourly crew pay, the mainline carriers pay their RJ operators much more per seat mile than mainline narrowbody costs. Seems counterintuitive but the numbers don't lie. United has historicaly paid it's Express operators 18 to 21 cents per available seat mile. Narrow body mainline costs on the 737 or 319 is less than 15 cents per seat mile. As far as fuel effeciency goes, the RJs are some of the biggest gas guzzlers on the planet. And UAL pays for their fuel. Check out airlinefinancials.com.

Why do the mainlines do it? Frequency!! It's better marketing to say we have 4 RJs a day that connect with international banks than have one or 2 737s that might force connecting pax to wait an extra hour or two.

Southwest has never operated or paid another airline to operate an RJ for them.

I've heard with the associated costs, that frequency is becoming less important and some are going for less frequency and bigger planes in the not so distant future.

I've heard with the associated costs, that frequency is becoming less important and some are going for less frequency and bigger planes in the not so distant future.

50 seat RJs are too expensive to operate with the high fuel prices.

What RJ does Airtran operate?. Airtran tried it with a regional operator a few years ago and quickly stopped because the costs were too high.

They don't now, but they did. To say that Southwest has never operated an RJ is, factually wrong now.

It's a shame that they (Southwest) are taking the one good airline they've got and killing it. I avoid Southwest at all costs.

Last edited:
I still may be able to make it home that day--if not, I miss my checkride :yikes:
so you've worked how many months and put in how much money and effort - and you are relying on USAirways. . ..

I would fail you on your checkride for lack of judgment! :D:D

Last edited:
They don't now, but they did. To say that Southwest has never operated an RJ is, factually wrong now.

It's a shame that they (Southwest) are taking the one good airline they've got and killing it. I avoid Southwest at all costs.

Nope. Think what you want. South West never operated an RJ. Period. end of story.

I don't care for SWA's open seating policy. I want to be able to choose my seat in advance.

Back