Paul Bertarelli is retiring from AVweb?

That is a huge loss. Congratulations to his long history and amazing contributions!

Well, there goes about 80% of why I read AvWeb.....
I'd say it's closer to 65% for me, but only because Bertorelli writes 4-5x as often as Berge.

Considering the 2 Pauls decided to retire pretty much at the same time make me think that it had something to do with Flying Media Group buying out Belvoir Publishing.

I'd say it's closer to 65% for me, but only because Bertorelli writes 4-5x as often as Berge.

Considering the 2 Pauls decided to retire pretty much at the same time make me think that it had something to do with Flying Media Group buying out Belvoir Publishing.

Hadn’t thought about that, but you might be right.

Maybe Paul & Paul will start their own website.

AMF. I keed I keed.

Though I wasn't a big fan, some of his content was on point from time to time. Which is to say, he did alright as a writer in this big wide opinionated world. Congrats on retirement, and tailwinds.

He dispelled that in his reply to a similar comment on the article.

I met Paul in 1992. I had just started getting back into flying after 10 years of inactivity and decided I wanted to go to Oshkosh. I jumped on the Compuserve AVSIG forum at the time asking to share a ride there. Paul offered to substantially alter his course to come down and pick me up. I ended up driving him around in his rent-a-car and got to meet various people like the other IFR Magazine contributors: Dennis Cunningham, Ross Russo, Scott Hartwig, and various famous people like Rod Machado and the Kings, etc... Todd Huvard intentionally rammed our car going to breakfast one day (Huvard is one of the craziest guys I've ever met).

A Vietnam Veteran who stayed lucid and productive longer than most of us. Loved his writing and videos. His retirement is a loss for general aviation but hopefully there's some bennies in it for Paul personally as well as his family.

He's funny AND accurate. My favorite bit was the epaulets/bars that kept getting longer, as he explained his annoyance with flight instructors flying 747 sized patterns.

Probably second was the animation around the "how bad is it to make an emergency landing on a road" bit. The only avweb guy I watched.

Hope he has a great retirement!

A lot of the guys that I grew up in Aviation reading are now retiring. Sad for us, but good for them. I only hope the new/next generation of writers are as good.

Back