Passenger safety briefing and passenger safety card

I might have to make use of the gas safety card next time I go to Ponca City for Mexican.

Good old autospell. "FAA" not "gas" lol. But yes in a small cockpit that may be a good idea to do after mexican! Made me laugh because when we were brining my 140 home from Nebraska to Michigan we left midday so had to overnight in Iowa. There was a good looking mexican joint nearby but we decided against in that tiny cockpit. We both agreed we would be better friends at the end of the trip if we didn't do a big bean burrito! lol

I took my buddy and his two kids 10, 5 (ages not names) up flying. When we got to the nausea part of it I said this to the kids.

"If you start feeling sick at all you tell us immediately. I have bags you can puke in that are in the pocket of the back of my seat. If you do throw up, you will be cleaning it up because you made the mess. If you do not have anything to clean it up, you will clean it up the same way my dog does - by eating it."

I got an ewwwwww and much laughing and giggling. They were so enthralled by seeing where they lived and their schools and the parks they played at from the air, im not sure they could have gotten sick.

Only puker I have ever had was I was doing "color tours" for friends for the fun of it, not hire, and middafternoon it was getting rather bumpy and I noticed he was looking pale. I asked if he was okay and he said yes and insisted I kept circling him and his girlfriends house. I said "we should head back" and he said "one more time" and as we cirlced he pulled out a ring, proposed to her and without a half second delay filled the grocery sac I had given him! Being a marital cynic I kinda got a kick out of that!

Here is a very rough draft begining of what I am thinking of making. Again this would not be to hand out before the flight and scare them. But in briefing to tell them about it and where to get it. Each page is two pages I will cut and staple bind so its in booklet form.

Attachments

• After the Crash.pdf
    194.9 KB · Views: 11
I will cut and staple bind so its in booklet form.
Better is to take it to a copy shop, let them cut it into equal rectangles, and laminate, and then spiral bind.

End result is more durable.

Here, hold my beer. Any of you know how to start this thing?

PASSENGER BRIEFING

Welcome aboard!

Purpose of the Flight, Route of Flight
S.A.F.E.T.Y.
Seatbelts & Seat
  • Seatbelt operation
  • Seatbelts must remain on at all times
  • How to adjust and lock seat
  • If seat suddenly slides back, do not grab yoke
Air
  • Passenger Comfort, Air Vents, Heater
  • If a comfort item is needed, just ask!
  • Air Turbulence, bumps are part of the ride and normal, but I will do what’s possible to minimize
  • Air Sickness – Sic Sac location, tell me early if you feel airsick
Fire Extinguisher
  • Location, When to use, How to use
Exit, Emergencies, and Equipment
  • Door Location, How to latch, How to Unlatch
  • Emergencies – What to do, What not to do
  • I may ask for your help, but wait for me to direct you what to do
  • Evacuation & Emergency gathering point (mindful of propeller!)
  • Survival Equipment (if carried)
  • Supplemental Oxygen (if carried)
Traffic & Talking
Traffic – Help look out for aircraft, keep your eyes on it until I say I see it.
Use the clock position, High/Low, Distance
Talking – During flight okay except when need to talk to ATC, listen for our tail#
Sterile Cockpit during departure and when approaching destination. But do continue to point out traffic.​
Your Questions?
  • Please ask any now or during the flight
  • Was there anything you didn’t understand?

Passenger Safety Briefing Complete!! Let’s Go Fly!!

I'm just thinking out loud here, but if I gave a typical passenger of mine a briefing that detailed, they would ask to make a quick run to the FBO to pee, and then they would drive away at the first opportunity.

Don’t directly tell them where the sick sack is, say it by accident.

And if you want to put your phone or something somewhere this pocket works, nothing else in here other than, uhhh, like a sick sack and a napkin I think.

Otherwise you plant the seed.

“If you get sick the barf bag is here”. No bueno

Other than that, just how to open the door, use the belts, remind them they have rudder pedals by their feet, and if they can’t hear themself in the headset no one else can hear them ether.

That’s about the max mental RAM a new pax has, if you have to tell them not to grab the controls or something, you shouldn’t be flying them.

Last edited:
Here is a very rough draft begining of what I am thinking of making. Again this would not be to hand out before the flight and scare them. But in briefing to tell them about it and where to get it. Each page is two pages I will cut and staple bind so its in booklet form.
Some of this could probably be simplified if you spend a few bucks on a PLB and stow it in your pack.

Sit the f**k down, shut the f**k up. If I flee the aircraft, you should probably follow me.

Do your passengers actually pay attention to your briefs, or do they act like everybody on an airliner and just ignore the safety brief?

I text my passengers the briefing after start-up, while I'm waiting for the oil temp to come up.
That usually gets their attention.

I tell them that unlike the briefing they get on an airliner, the nearest exit definitely is not behind them, it's the door they entered by.

Typically the passenger is my wife. She's heard the briefing too many times and stops me from even starting.

I would hope that if this is a first timer, you are picking a time for a smooth flight, and relatively short flight so air sickness should not be a problem.

Tom

Guess I’m gonna hafta update my briefing...

Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on!

Emailed or hardcopy given to pax before the flight. (verbal later)

Attachments

• Pax Safety Briefing.pdf
    74.5 KB · Views: 16
Emailed or hardcopy given to pax before the flight. (verbal later)

I agree with emailing prior to flight, give them time to read and absorb the info. however, "Cell phones must be off unless pilot permission is given." ? interesting....I've never turned my own cell phone off, and always encourage them to take pics/vids with their phones (or cameras). also, not sure I know anyone who smokes cigarettes anymore and if I don't think someone can handle a basic seatbelt, I probably don't ask them to go flying lol.

I am a control freak I guess; have images of pax gabbing on phones during high workload times; I could modify that part.

Some of this could probably be simplified if you spend a few bucks on a PLB and stow it in your pack.

I don’t disagree they are a great item, but if onboard it should minimally be mentioned in briefing. I read of a rescue one time, if I recall it right, but the pilot died and had a plb on him but pax had no clue... doesn’t go them any good if they don’t know it’s there and how to use it...

And the red knob lever thingy is NOT where ya hang your purse. I'm certain of this now.

I don’t disagree they are a great item, but if onboard it should minimally be mentioned in briefing. I read of a rescue one time, if I recall it right, but the pilot died and had a plb on him but pax had no clue... doesn’t go them any good if they don’t know it’s there and how to use it...
I was referring to simplifying your "After the crash" document. Instead of the "dial up 121.5 and call for help" and "build a shelter" stuff, it would simplify down to "deploy the GPS-enabled 406Mhz PLB (attached to this document) and wait 4 hours or until weather improves, whichever comes later" [hopefully you didn't crash because you flew into a storm].

Back