Passenger Briefing -- pilot incapacitation

AlanM

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Needles
Do you brief your passenger(s) on what to do in case you become incapacitated? For example, WHAT IF you had a heart attack -- how would your pass know what to do? Would you practice your procedure on the ground? This is almost a "pinch hitter" course done in five minutes!! Thanks for your advice.

Do you brief your passenger(s) on what to do in case you become incapacitated? For example, WHAT IF you had a heart attack -- how would your pass know what to do? Would you practice your procedure on the ground? This is almost a "pinch hitter" course done in five minutes!! Thanks for your advice.

If I had a chute, then yes I would instruct them on how to use it. Since I do not have a chute, I don't mention it. I think it would only scare them and I'm not going to be able to teach someone how to land a plane during a passenger briefing, so there really isn't any point.

Last edited:
I only breif people who I fly with on a regular basis. Other than that it's not a big deal,if I was equipped with a chute,I probably would .

Make a "In Case of Emergency" card and laminate it.

I don't know, just post this up in a clear pouch.

9780500650011_24885.jpg

And while you're at it....

original.jpg

I try not to brief procedures like, "put your head between your legs and kiss your *** goodbye." Doesn't do any good.

Maybe just show them real quick how to tune the radio and key the mic. That way they might be able to be talked down. That is about the best you can do during a short pax brief before flight.

I try to do this discretely, by offering to let the passenger fly as soon as possible. I'll mention several times that they have a PTT on their side. This kinda sorta gives them an overview of the basics so if the worst case happened, they wouldn't be touching the controls for the first time as instructed by ATC. This gets them as familiar as they're gonna get with the controls while not putting freakish thoughts in their head just before takeoff.
what this DOESN'T do is give the pax the knowledge that this could possibly happen, leading to them making the decision not to go, which would be their right to do.

Yes. The passenger is instructed to pee before boarding, use of seat belt, sterile cockpit & radio, location of fire extinguisher, location of parachute pull handle (and when/how to pull), to not step on rudder pedals or touch the stick, to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
Make a "In Case of Emergency" card and laminate it.
Very good idea, have been thinking about it for a while. It will, of course, need to be specific to my airplane but should be fun to create and easy to print and laminate (I got a buddy in "the biz").

Have been trying to get the wife familiar with what the yoke does and how it controls the airplane but she is still very afraid that "if she touches anything, the airplane will explode". Typical girl. :D But she is slowly warming up to the idea of familiarizing herself with what knob does what and is open to taking a few lessons with my CFI in the future. Yay!

That 5-minute pinch-hitter course works only for aviation enthusiasts and engineers who can master the basic physics of flight in such short time.
Otherwise, I don't bother trying to explain flying to non-aviation passengers, they often don't give a flying hoot.

Also, if flying with another pilot on board, I make them acknowledge that should I become incapacitated, they will be responsible for the flight and landing the airplane safely. Never heard a complaint!! :D

My instructor told me on my first flight, "if something happens to me while we are up, we are both gonna die, lets go fly"

To answer the question, I don't mention it, the reality is, my instructor was right.

If they have any pilot training, "land it like a 152". If not, "shut off the engine and pull the chute".

Yes I do, I say; turn the engine off and pull the parachute handle !

Cheers

Do you tell your coworkers what to do if you pass out driving them to lunch? What if the one up front can't drive, what happens to the folks in the back seat?

I never had a buddy tell me what to do riding on his motorcycle if he had a problem.

Suppose I'm out fishing, riding in the now of the boat, and the one at the helm falls over (but not overboard). How many boaters provide instructions for this?

"Thanks for riding with me in my <whatever>. Just in case I faint, pass out or have a heart attack, this is what you should do . . ." Give me a speech like that, I wouldn't even get on a skateboard with you. Ever. No thanks, I'll just hitchhike home, it's got to be safer.

I tell people how to work the seatbelt, that one in a million idiot who can't figure it out, and where the air vents and heat are, as well as how to adjust the seats. Then I tell them to not touch the controls and watch their feet. That's about it.

Do you tell your coworkers what to do if you pass out driving them to lunch? What if the one up front can't drive, what happens to the folks in the back seat?

I never had a buddy tell me what to do riding on his motorcycle if he had a problem.

Suppose I'm out fishing, riding in the now of the boat, and the one at the helm falls over (but not overboard). How many boaters provide instructions for this?

"Thanks for riding with me in my <whatever>. Just in case I faint, pass out or have a heart attack, this is what you should do . . ." Give me a speech like that, I wouldn't even get on a skateboard with you. Ever. No thanks, I'll just hitchhike home, it's got to be safer.

I tell people how to work the seatbelt, that one in a million idiot who can't figure it out, and where the air vents and heat are, as well as how to adjust the seats. Then I tell them to not touch the controls and watch their feet. That's about it.

Apples to oranges.
Telling my mom at a min, press this button and call for help.
Or pull the chute...

No harm in having that conversation.

Anyone over a certain age can with a little intuition, stop a boat, car, motorcycle, or skateboard.

No amount of intuition will help a non pilot do all the stuff required to get the plane down. Also if that speech gives someone pause, good. Getting in a plane with someone really can kill you. Those little speeches should remind people that while this is fun and safe-ish there is real risk involved.

That said, I would ride a skateboard with you. The photos alone would be worth it.

This really should be a CAPS/non CAPS question. CAPS, pull the chute. Non CAPS, you get to die right along with the pilot.

That.

I'd be willing to bet that 999 times out of 1000 the non pilot with NO prior instruction dies. In the first article you linked, I'll give it to you, the second, the lady had 100's of hours right seat and had taken lessons many years earlier but never got her license.

Actually, it sounds like most people survive. Can someone cite an instance of the pilot being incapacitated and passenger(s) being killed because of it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In the air ambulance I tell the flight nurse and flight paramedic if the pilot ever passes out, the very first thing to do is revive the pilot.

I would think the same would be true for everyone else.

Should never fly without a III class medical. Everyone knows the medical certificate prevents pilot incapacitation.:rolleyes2:

Actually, it sounds like most people survive. Can someone cite an instance of the pilot being incapacitated and passenger(s) being killed because of it?

There have been a couple high profile loss of cabin pressure incidents. One with a big name sports guy. Of course, the passengers were incapacitated too.

But, "Just drive the airplane down to a big open field, pull the throttle and set it down. You will wreck the airplane but probably walk away." works for me.

Then there is this one. Medicals must not be required in the U.K.

And this - makes my landings look bad (nothing hard about that, though.)

Last edited:
I have the standard old seatbelts. I tell my passengers/friends: "if you're too stupid to figure out the seatbelt, get out of my plane". :D

Gen X-ers have never seen a seatbelt without a push button, unless they've flown before. Just like the airliners, I have the ancient "lift the handle to open" buckles that haven't been used in cars for over 40 years. Thank you, FAA, for pursuing safety through regulations and paperwork instead of through action and upgrades.

Gen X-ers have never seen a seatbelt without a push button, unless they've flown before. Just like the airliners, I have the ancient "lift the handle to open" buckles that haven't been used in cars for over 40 years. Thank you, FAA, for pursuing safety through regulations and paperwork instead of through action and upgrades.

Apparently, you haven't seen an aircraft newer than 1985. Even 172SPs come with push button seat belts and inertia reels.

Probably not often and with 100% certainty since there would have been a large ball of, probably flame melted, Al or fiberglass.

Besides, doesn't every plane have one of these?

airplane-auto-pilot.jpg

I didn't know that cars had dual controls - other than some drivers ed cars.

You ride ***** on a motorcycle? Hahahahahaha. Also, no second set of controls.

My buddy did when we were out on his. Though it was pretty self explanatory from watching what needed to be done.

Hey, might as well give them a chance. They have access to everything right in front of them (except in some tandem cases, and some Bo's). Why wouldn't you at least give them a shot of saving themselves.
Keep the horizon level
Keep the speed above the white arc
Tune the radio to 121.5
Turn the transponder to 7700
Use the PTT, and scream hysterically "Mayday" three times.

Practice setting up an autopilot GPS approach to the nearest airport. Then as you feel death approaching (tightness in the chest, faintness in the head, ...) bring up the LPV approach, set up descent to the initial fix, arm the approach, dial up 121.5 explain what is happening then tell them to control the throttle only to hit your approach speed and then let the autopilot fly them to the ground. They'll break the plane but will survive. Maybe. Okay probably not but its worth a shot! :D

Practice setting up an autopilot GPS approach to the nearest airport. Then as you feel death approaching (tightness in the chest, faintness in the head, ...) bring up the LPV approach, set up descent to the initial fix, arm the approach, dial up 121.5 explain what is happening then tell them to control the throttle only to hit your approach speed and then let the autopilot fly them to the ground. They'll break the plane but will survive. Maybe. Okay probably not but its worth a shot! :D

I am the autopilot! :eek:

Teach someone with no flying experience how to land in 5 minutes and hope that they remember it an hour or so later? No I don't brief it...

Back