Passed my instrument checkride!!!

Newbie here. I PASSED my IFR today. To say it was merely difficult is akin to saying Michelangelo's painting of the Sistine Chapel was only a paint by the numbers! I am absolutely wrecked. We had really strong uppers and downers today at altitude making all approaches and holds extra difficult...500fpm uppers and then downers and gyro-spinning turbulence. Not to mention that it was just days after Jimmy Carter back when I took my PVT check ride. Examiner was incredibly good. Really helped me try to fly better and safer. I feel so humbled to have the opportunity to fly with a 30,000h 747 Captain. Most of the time I felt like a kindergartner in a graduate linear algebra elective. Like can I even hold a heading and altitude at the same time while talking to approach? How about another plane doing basically the same thing with virtually identical call signs? Through in some close traffic: Examiner- "put the hood down and help me find this guy" followed by him frantically waving his arm and loudly sneezing. I thought we had a near miss! (Can you say "FAA mandatory distraction"?) The examiner pointed things out and was fair and generous. I was just obsessed with not busting altitudes or going more than 1/2 scale deflection on anything with a needle. Despite all of my stressing, overcorrecting, iron-fisted yoke pulling and jerking, fuddling with the Garmin, and generally unbecoming flying, I managed to stay within the PTS. I would grade myself below an "A" BUT I was apparently above an "F". The Examiner did not ever stop the practical at any point, so when rolling out after the only landing I thought I had might of passed, but I had to wait for the agonizingly long taxi, stop the plane, and be quiet for 5 minutes wondering if I was going to scream in jubilation or find my dark sunglasses and sneak to my car. All I can say is "whew". I started IFR training in earnest 2 years ago. I honestly don't know how I flew under VFR before? IFR puts you in a new, better, much more proficient, capable and safe place. I can't imagine flying without it. It is hard and is worth it. I urge everyone to press on. It can be done.

Newbie here. I PASSED my IFR today. To say it was merely difficult is akin to saying Michelangelo's painting of the Sistine Chapel was only a paint by the numbers! I am absolutely wrecked. We had really strong uppers and downers today at altitude making all approaches and holds extra difficult...500fpm uppers and then downers and gyro-spinning turbulence. Not to mention that it was just days after Jimmy Carter back when I took my PVT check ride. Examiner was incredibly good. Really helped me try to fly better and safer. I feel so humbled to have the opportunity to fly with a 30,000h 747 Captain. Most of the time I felt like a kindergartner in a graduate linear algebra elective. Like can I even hold a heading and altitude at the same time while talking to approach? How about another plane doing basically the same thing with virtually identical call signs? Through in some close traffic: Examiner- "put the hood down and help me find this guy" followed by him frantically waving his arm and loudly sneezing. I thought we had a near miss! (Can you say "FAA mandatory distraction"?) The examiner pointed things out and was fair and generous. I was just obsessed with not busting altitudes or going more than 1/2 scale deflection on anything with a needle. Despite all of my stressing, overcorrecting, iron-fisted yoke pulling and jerking, fuddling with the Garmin, and generally unbecoming flying, I managed to stay within the PTS. I would grade myself below an "A" BUT I was apparently above an "F". The Examiner did not ever stop the practical at any point, so when rolling out after the only landing I thought I had might of passed, but I had to wait for the agonizingly long taxi, stop the plane, and be quiet for 5 minutes wondering if I was going to scream in jubilation or find my dark sunglasses and sneak to my car. All I can say is "whew". I started IFR training in earnest 2 years ago. I honestly don't know how I flew under VFR before? IFR puts you in a new, better, much more proficient, capable and safe place. I can't imagine flying without it. It is hard and is worth it. I urge everyone to press on. It can be done.

Congrats on the pass.....

And.....

First post.. Welcome to POA...

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Congrats!

Congratulations to both of ya!!!!!!

The fact that the checkride seemed easier than expected, Yeti, means that you were very well prepared, kudos.

I am hoping to take my IR checkride in the next few months (depends on soon I can finish training) so I will be in the same boat. :)

Now go bust a cloud. And when you are approaching a cloud, feel free to point at it for your passengers and shout "brace brace!" :lol:

Wow. Great job. I am probably about six months behind you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had many satisfying experiences and successes in my life and getting my IFR ticket makes many of them pale. Congratulations.

Congrats on passing another checkride! I remember thinking "Why do I really need the IR?" before training and "How did I ever allow myself to be so sloppy?!" after I passed that checkride. In addition to everything else I learned as part of that training, precision is the the thing that carries over to everyday VFR flying.

Now go get that ticket wet!

CONGRATS!!!!

Back