Passed my instrument checkride!!!

Hoorah! Now you get to go commit some instrument aviation!

Thanks, Mike! I need to meet you some time. Can't be that many CT pilots around here.

:D Still gots my fish spurs!

I'm based in Addison. Let's meet up for a burger some time. Maybe we can get some of the other Dallas guys to join us?

Do you find it difficult to work the rudder pedals with the spurs on?

Congrats ,now you can go bore holes in the clouds. Enjoy

Congratulations! Go fly in non icing 2000' overcast. You earned it.

uploadfromtaptalk1423614104620.jpg
Never have to fear this again, sorta :)

(Taken on 23 Jan from LEX to BKL. Why is that upside down? Haha)

rhvpilot;1698938 I am hoping to take the IR test in about a month. Will appreciate suggestions thanks[/QUOTE said:
There are some good videos on YouTube where a DPE discusses the IFR Oral and checkride and the common mistakes they see the applicants make. The presentation also covers the correct knowledge and skill the applicant should know/demonstrate.

Congrats, now make sure you are proficient before going actual IMC. Be safe and enjoy!

Congrats...that should be a good feeling.

I'm based in Addison. Let's meet up for a burger some time. Maybe we can get some of the other Dallas guys to join us?

I'm so busy right now, I doubt that my schedule would match up, but I'm in on the hamburger. Of course, since I'm still working on my Instrument Written, it would have to be a VFR day for me.

BTW, a BIG congratulations for you!

Well done - having my Instrument Rating has completely transformed my flying, in a good way. Hope you enjoy using it!

Congrats!

Are you class of 95?

Flying IFR gets your skills up and your radio work more consistent. Keep current, that is fun. If you get up to Denton, I have a route that I fly that gets your currency in about 1.5 hours.

I have marcel marceau on 8 track. Send me your address.

I once met him in person when he came to A&M for a performance.

Very polite... but didn't have much to say.

So, here's the rest of the story. But in retrospect, it's not that exciting. It all really went as my instructor said it would.

The oral was really straightforward. I was surprised to find that it was actually easier than my private. He was very focused on the safety aspects of IFR flying. So, we talked quite a bit about icing, thunderstorms, lost communications and lots of general "gotchas" that I might come across on an IFR flight. It was a great conversation. And honestly, I probably asked as many questions as he did.

The flight portion was very straightforward. It was exactly out of the PTS. I preflighted the plane, talked through what I was doing and then we briefed the flight. I needed to point out some unique aspects on the instrumentation for my plane and we discussed what we would during the flight.

I called ground and picked up my clearance, then set up the plane for the departure. Taxied out, did a run up, checked my instruments one last time, then he cancelled IFR with the tower and told me that from this point forward, he would serve the role of ATC.

From KTKI, we departed on the HUBB7 departure. Once airborne and hooded, he started giving me various vectors and altitudes. They came fairly quickly but he eventually asked me to join the departure. Then I got hold instructions for a waypoint on the departure. I reported entering the hold and then he told me that my destination was socked in and that I should check the weather (he wanted to see that I could check weather while enroute). Of course, we couldn't go on and I requested a return to KTKI. We got the RNAV 36 approach and I flew an AP coupled approach down to minimums. Then....execute the missed.

While climbing out on the missed, my panel suddenly failed. :dunno: So, I notified ATC and requested vectors to the ILS (as you know, the PTS requires a non-precision partial panel approach, but I wanted him to know that I was smart enough to ask for an ILS in that situation). "ATC" said tha the ILS was inop but that the VOR-A was available. So, I was vectored onto that approach and started my way in. Problem....my situational awareness just went to crap. Nothing is making sense right now. I'm having trouble visualizing what the compass heading and VOR needle are telling me. So, I tell ATC that I would like delay vectors to setup my aircraft. No problem, turn right, heading 270, maintain 2,500 and tell us when you'd like vectors back to the approach. I make the turn and start cross-checking instruments...crap! I set the VOR to wrong course. No problem...correct the issue, confirm the rest of the equipment is set up correctly and call ATC. Next thing I know, I'm back on the VOR-A approach and tracking really well. The rest of the approach goes well and it's off to unusual attitudes.

I always enjoyed those. And today, they kind of feel like a break. So, we knock out 2 unusual attitudes and then it's off to the ILS. Dial it it (don't forget to ID the navaid), get established and fly it down. Strong winds meant a slow descent and significant crab. The approach seemed to take forever. But I made it down and greased the crosswind landing, right main.....left main.....nose gear. Exit at the next taxiway, shut it down and shake the man's hand. :yes: Whew! I'm exhausted.

Overall, it went a lot like my private. While there were periods of stress, it was generally easier than I expected. And it was a HUGE relief to have behind me.

After all of the prep work, I'm a little burnt out on flying instruments. So, I went and flew a J-3 for a while last Friday just to get the fun back into it. I did this to be a safer pilot and to get better utility out of the certificate. I think my family will appreciate the greater flexibility and safety profile of the IFR flight. It'll be really useful on the weekend trips and family getaways.

I also think it reinforced my VFR knowledge. Airspace makes A LOT more sense now. And while I was never radio shy, I'm much more comfortable and confident now.

So, that's the story. Glad I did it. Also glad it's in the rear view mirrow. Now I need some time to go somewhere with that shiny new rating!

TexasAg93, yes. I'm c/o '95. It kind of makes me feel old when I see the kids there now.

I'd love to know that route. Let me know if you need a safety pilot some time.

So, here's the rest of the story. But in retrospect, it's not that exciting. It all really went as my instructor said it would.

The oral was really straightforward. I was surprised to find that it was actually easier than my private. He was very focused on the safety aspects of IFR flying. So, we talked quite a bit about icing, thunderstorms, lost communications and lots of general "gotchas" that I might come across on an IFR flight. It was a great conversation. And honestly, I probably asked as many questions as he did.

The flight portion was very straightforward. It was exactly out of the PTS. I preflighted the plane, talked through what I was doing and then we briefed the flight. I needed to point out some unique aspects on the instrumentation for my plane and we discussed what we would during the flight.

I called ground and picked up my clearance, then set up the plane for the departure. Taxied out, did a run up, checked my instruments one last time, then he cancelled IFR with the tower and told me that from this point forward, he would serve the role of ATC.

From KTKI, we departed on the HUBB7 departure. Once airborne and hooded, he started giving me various vectors and altitudes. They came fairly quickly but he eventually asked me to join the departure. Then I got hold instructions for a waypoint on the departure. I reported entering the hold and then he told me that my destination was socked in and that I should check the weather (he wanted to see that I could check weather while enroute). Of course, we couldn't go on and I requested a return to KTKI. We got the RNAV 36 approach and I flew an AP coupled approach down to minimums. Then....execute the missed.

While climbing out on the missed, my panel suddenly failed. :dunno: So, I notified ATC and requested vectors to the ILS (as you know, the PTS requires a non-precision partial panel approach, but I wanted him to know that I was smart enough to ask for an ILS in that situation). "ATC" said tha the ILS was inop but that the VOR-A was available. So, I was vectored onto that approach and started my way in. Problem....my situational awareness just went to crap. Nothing is making sense right now. I'm having trouble visualizing what the compass heading and VOR needle are telling me. So, I tell ATC that I would like delay vectors to setup my aircraft. No problem, turn right, heading 270, maintain 2,500 and tell us when you'd like vectors back to the approach. I make the turn and start cross-checking instruments...crap! I set the VOR to wrong course. No problem...correct the issue, confirm the rest of the equipment is set up correctly and call ATC. Next thing I know, I'm back on the VOR-A approach and tracking really well. The rest of the approach goes well and it's off to unusual attitudes.

I always enjoyed those. And today, they kind of feel like a break. So, we knock out 2 unusual attitudes and then it's off to the ILS. Dial it it (don't forget to ID the navaid), get established and fly it down. Strong winds meant a slow descent and significant crab. The approach seemed to take forever. But I made it down and greased the crosswind landing, right main.....left main.....nose gear. Exit at the next taxiway, shut it down and shake the man's hand. :yes: Whew! I'm exhausted.

Overall, it went a lot like my private. While there were periods of stress, it was generally easier than I expected. And it was a HUGE relief to have behind me.

After all of the prep work, I'm a little burnt out on flying instruments. So, I went and flew a J-3 for a while last Friday just to get the fun back into it. I did this to be a safer pilot and to get better utility out of the certificate. I think my family will appreciate the greater flexibility and safety profile of the IFR flight. It'll be really useful on the weekend trips and family getaways.

I also think it reinforced my VFR knowledge. Airspace makes A LOT more sense now. And while I was never radio shy, I'm much more comfortable and confident now.

So, that's the story. Glad I did it. Also glad it's in the rear view mirrow. Now I need some time to go somewhere with that shiny new rating!
Sounds like a tough but fair ride! Quick question, you guys actually filed a flightplan and then just cancelled after departure? When I did my IR we went over what I would have filed and just flew to the first fix and then we called up approach for practice approaches.

Yes. He wanted me to file it and pick up the real clearance from ATC. After that, it was similar to your ride. He knows the controllers well and they expect this. I had written "IFR checkride" in the comment section.

Back