Passed my instrument checkride on saturday!

jordane93

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jordan
hey guys im new to the forum but just wanted to tell you about my checkride experiece. im based out of KFRG but had to take the ride in KISP. i took my checkride with frank. he was totally awesome, laid back, and really made me feel comfortable. i had to plan kisp to kbwi and he wanted me to use the tec route that is in the afd.

so i got to sheltair in kisp pretty nervous and luckily had some time to do some last minute reviewing. the oral part was more of a conversation then anything. we talked about general airworthiness and ifr airworthiness and the various checks that needed to be done. we then talked about electrical systems, vacuum system and pitot static systems and which instruments would be effected when one of the systems malfunctioned.we then talked about the flight plan and any possible adverse weather. he picked out symbols on the en route chart and told me to tell him what they are and we did the same thing for the approach plates. the final thing we did was talk about lost comm procedures. he talked more than i did actually and we were on the ground for about 2 hours. plus he had to take a few bathroom and smoking breaks.

now for the fun part! he told me not to wait for him to pre flight and after we quickly started up the engine. we requested a departure out to the north shore to do some quick air work. we did a few timed turns and unsual attitudes. after we set up for the vor 6 at khwv with the ccc tranisiton. i intercepted and flew the radial fine. next we did transition from masti withthe hold we did one circuit and then established inbound the final approach course. he said i flew it perfect upuntil the end and then i started snaking. after we did the published missed and did 2 laps around the hold. frank asked for the gps 33L intokisp but they were unqble to give it to us because they were busy. he urged that he was conducting a flight test but they still refused. he ended up giving me vectors to the gps 24 at khwv and approach was able to clear us into that one. we then did a circling missed approach and requested vectors for the ils full stop into kisp. while on final, we got a pirep from tower saying a southwest 737 experienced a loss of 10 knots on final. i quickly monitored my airspeed and we actually experienced some of the windshear but suprisingly only lost about 5 knots.

after the landing we taxiied back to sheltair and before we got out of the plane he said there were no deal breakers for him on that flight nd i was now an instrument rated pilot! we finished upthe paper work inside and probably shook his hand and said thank you over 50 times!

i immediately called my dad, who is a 767 pilot for delta and told him about the news. he told me this is one of the hardest checkrides and congratulated me. i was so happy with my pself and all of my hard work pay off. iplan on doing an ifr x country with a friend this weekend, but not sure yet of the place.

im really thankful that im based right in NY in some of the busiest airspace in tge world. most pilots do not get to experience it and i always feel confident when talking to atc.

im now looking forward to starting commercial training and getting some more actual time!

Congrats now you can go out and learn actual imc

Welcome to the League of Temporary Airmen.

Few mins ago a guy from kings school called to sell me a instrument course.. Haha what course did yiu use?

i didnt use a course. for the written, i got the ASA test prep. i really like the asa layout and format. for the oral prep, my flight school set me up with the chief flight instructor and he basically simulated the oral part as well as the flying part
Few mins ago a guy from kings school called to sell me a instrument course.. Haha what course did yiu use?

Congratulations. The IR ride is a tough one. Now, go have some fun (and re-learn how to land an airplane :D ).

i fly with nassau flyers. they have great planes, top instructors and its a well maintained business. im always satisfied when i go there
That's awesome, congrats!!!

I'm a student pilot out of FRG as well, who do you fly with?

also an update: ill be doing my first ifr x country to kmht on saturday since earning my ticket last week. pretty excited to take my friend up in the clouds

Thanks for the write-up. Sounds like you did a great job and had a cool DPE.

Congrats!! The IR is the hardest one of the bunch, and you had a good ride to boot!

Congrats guy! I fly out of KFRG also, I'm on the echo ramp. I got my IFR some years back, file as often as you can even for short hops. It keeps you in and using the system you will become confie and a safer pilot
Stay safe and enjoy

thanks! would you be interested in sharing rides? i fly at nassau flyers. i only have about 150 hours and want to start building time towards my commercial license
Congrats guy! I fly out of KFRG also, I'm on the echo ramp. I got my IFR some years back, file as often as you can even for short hops. It keeps you in and using the system you will become confie and a safer pilot
Stay safe and enjoy

Back