Passed my IFR checkride

Adventure

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Adventure
My accelerated IFR had some mostly personal aircraft induced hiccups along the way, but overall a great experience. Learned a ton and the entire crew at Venture North in Cloquet, MN is fantastic!

If you look close you’ll see the ****-eating grin on my face coming home after the successful check ride. Bucket list check mark for sure. Ready to let the real learning begin…

Attachments

• 84A25A56-FD72-48DE-A3E0-E76B97AB7182.jpeg
    84A25A56-FD72-48DE-A3E0-E76B97AB7182.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 85
Congrats! Now get out there, file and fly as often as you can. IFR skills are perishable and my understanding is for those coming off an accelerated program it’s even more vital to get out there and reinforce what you’ve learned.

Congrats! It's the most freeing of ratings.

My first reaction to this was "Yes. Because now I can just go fly again." I'm glad I have the IR but it was a lot of work to get.

Did you have any trouble using your Turbo Arrow for the training? I used my Turbo Arrow, but I was not comfortable with the engine management during the training. I babied the engine too much because of the turbo.

I didn’t have any “turbo” or engine specific related trouble with the arrow, but did manage to flat two tubes, a bad seal in the electric fuel pump requiring full replacement, had to have a new PTT switch installed, and just the icing on the cake a broken gear indicator wire which decided to manifest itself during checkride (causing discontinuance). I had also managed to transpose the garmin serial number so chased my tail a few days getting the panel updated. And for good measure the FAA med team was at least 60 days overdue plus the “send in 60 days early” for issuing the same regular SI with the same letter they have in past, so I didn’t get for the start of the class and had to scramble for a dr appt and basic med while out of town. So yeah, in addition to learning a TON about instrument flight rules for which I was woefully ignorant, I also learned a lot about the new to me aircraft and the value of persistence and surrounding yourself with smart people!

It’s a lot of flying and not much seeing outside. Pretty awesome.

Last edited:
How accelerated was your class? 2 weeks?

It was a 10 day IFR course. I went a little long because of the above mentioned hiccups, but it ended up being just less than 40 hours dual under the hood (had a few hours already). Plus lots of good ground instruction plus studying and chair flying.

Congrats! It's good to have good news on here, and it's some motivation for me to start working on mine again. Thanks for posting! And nice job on the 10 day thing...my brain doesn't work fast enough to try that method.

Reactions: WDD
It was a 10 day IFR course. I went a little long because of the above mentioned hiccups, but it ended up being just less than 40 hours dual under the hood (had a few hours already). Plus lots of good ground instruction plus studying and chair flying.

Congrats! I did a 2 week accelerated back in 2002 in Ocala FL.

Cool! I am going to Cloquet in Sept and hope to get my IFR ticket also!

Whats yer panel look like??

Congratulations!!! Now get up and fly in the system

Came here to say congrats, and saw it was an older thread…have you been out in the clag using it? I think getting out there right away and flying in the soup is one of the secrets to getting and keeping full value of the rating.
I jumped right in, literally the very next day, and have never looked back. I met a pilot at a fly in that was shocked that I flew in ifr weather the day after I got my rating…he said he’s had his rating for years and although he often flies in the clouds he has yet to fly on a day that wasn’t vfr! I thought, “what’s the point of the rating” but to each their own.

Back