Passed my IFR checkride yesterday!

ttvetdoc

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Russell
I went down to Charleston International Airport on Friday of last week for the 6 day accelerated IFR course through CRAFT (IFR6). They have a redbird FMX simulator that you train in for 3-4 hours in the morning, then fly for 4 hours in the afternoon. The program is very structured and to my surprise I felt very prepared for my checkride on day 6. My DPE was non other than Wally Moran (whose name I initially recognized from Pilot Workshops). He was incredible and had a very non-intimidating nature to the checkride. I picked up a ton of tips flying with him. Flying out of a busy Class C airport was also a huge benefit.

Even though the weather way mainly VFR the entire time. I logged 2+ hours of actual on my long cross country and shot an RNAV LPV with 400-500 foot ceilings into KSUT (Cape Fear).

I plan to file every flight and actually use the rating. I'll start with 800-1000 foot ceilings then go from there. I'll likely also have an IPC every 6 months just for proficiency and to make sure I'm not developing any bad habits.

I think I felt more of a sense of accomplishment from this rating compared to my PPL. Really feel like I'm a much better pilot. Can't wait to fly in the system!

Russell

Very cool...my life long dream is to get my IFR rating someday

How many hours under the hood with safety pilot did you have before starting with IR6? Use your own plane?

Thanks everyone - it's an amazing feeling and I can't wait to use the rating in real life. IFR6 likes you to have at least 10 hours of instrument training (actual/simulated) and 40 hours PIC cross-country before going to them. I had around 14 hours of instrument instruction with a local instructor to give myself a good foundation going into the course. Although I had done some approaches during that 14 hours, it was mainly spent achieving some level of proficiency with instrument flying, establishing power settings, etc. You obviously need the written passed as well before attending.

You will spend up to 20 hours in the Redbird then another 15-20 in an actual airplane. I used my own airplane ('79 Archer II) and I would say the majority of their students in this program use their own plane. They do have rental planes available if needed.

Russell

Russell - thanks.
....and congratulations

Congratulations !
That's not an easy ride - now be sure to keep at it - don't let that edge EVER get dull !
Art

Russell, Congrats!!

Unless it's a quick hop for eats I try to file. It keeps you working in the system and working with the new procedures.

Congratulations here as well! It is fun to not be limited by clouds anymore.
Well, we are here, all weekend. 1/4SM and VV001 yesterday and today. So you can't hear a single aeroplane out there. :(

I will certainly file for any trip over an hour a way. It's funny - now I'm looking forward to some 800-1000 overcast days to shoot some approaches and I'm disappointed when I see the morning clouds break up.

congrats not always a easy ride. now go get some duel in some real hard ifr with a person or instructor who has lots of real ifr .

Make sure you also practice missed approaches too. In actual low IMC they really bite pilots who aren't proficient. Always plan on going missed, landing a bonus. ;)

Congratulations, Russell. It will take some effort to stay current and proficient, but it sounds like you are committed to do what it takes. Way to go!

Congrats...:happydance::happydance::happydance: Now as was said, go get it wet and keep those skills sharp:yes:.

Way to go Russell. You just opened up a great new door. Get as much actual as you can. Those days that used to trap you on the ground can be a lot of fun now

Gary

Back