Passed my IFR Checkride...FINALLY!

av8tr24

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
av8tr24
Some of you may remember reading about my checkride failure back in August. I was super disappointed, but got back up kept flying and scheduled another ride. Well.....I made another stupid mistake and failed #2 as well. Yesterday was the 60th day from the date of my initial application, so the last day before I would have to re-do everything. Passed the oral on the first ride, so the re-takes were just the flight.

I'm happy to report that everything went flawlessly, and the examiner was very happy! Both failures were a combination of my mistakes and things that happened outside my control with ATC, ILS out of service, etc. As painful and expensive as it was, these were all important lessons to learn. It was really unfortunate that I had to learn them on checkrides at $450 each :mad2:

One thing I can say, I have a lot of respect for people that have failed checkrides. IFR is one of the hardest things I have done, and I really had to work at it. Nothing came easy for me, and I had to work extra hard. Honestly, it really didn't start making sense until I was almost finished with my training.

I'm working on my Commercial now, and then CFI/CFII, so I feel like this experience will be helpful later on when I have students. My goal is no more checkride failures ;-) So incredibly relieved and glad to have this behind me! Thanks for all the support and encouragement in my other threads!

I agree about the training being hard and very challenging. I really felt I earned this rating last month when I passed my checkride.

Congrats - I have started picking on small clouds and look forward to picking fights with bigger clouds as I gain experience ;-)

Jim

Last edited:
Bravo well done! Congrats I've heard the IR is the hardest rating.

Congrats. A lot of people have failed the IR ride. Including me. It's a very tough rating, perhaps the toughest of them all.

Congrats. A lot of people have failed the IR ride. Including me. It's a very tough rating, perhaps the toughest of them all.
And even harder to keep proficient at. Get that ticket wet soon and often.

And oh yes, congratulations! :cheers:

Way to go! I'm in the ground school phase and can only imagine what the rest will bring!

Great story of tenacity; I'm sure that quality will serve you very well in the future!

Congrats,glad you stuck with it,can get very frustrating.

Kudos......persistence pays off!!

The good thing about failing is that whatever mistakes you had you will probably never make again. congratulations.

Congrats.....report back the first time you go into clouds by yourself. It's a little intense:) but it gets easier.

Back