Passed my commercial... Best CFI study materials?

calberto

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Calberto
I just passed my commercial check ride yesterday. Now I'm ready to start my CFI training. What're the best materials to study? I know I have two writtens and then obviously a very extensive check ride.

Plenty of other material available too, Gleim, ASA, ton of videos from Sportys, King etc.

I'm in the same boat, and am studying the Airplane instructors handbook, airplane flying manual, AIM and phak. All downloadable from the FAA for free and guaranteed to put you to sleep. I make notes on the pdfs with a program called skim (mac only) and then put those notes into a flashcard program (repetitions)for review and memorization. It's a ton of work but I did the same for my commercial ride and breezed through the oral portion of the checkride so I guess it works. For written test prep I'll likely just go with sheppard.

I always used 3x5 cards at the airline for check rides. Item and/or question on front side, answer and reference on backside. Quite a pile of cards but it works. Your mileage may vary.

The CFI initial.

Wikipedia has some great stuff for FOI

For the aviation specific stuff, I'd tutor some folks for free.

Airwork is nothing, you should already be there, might need a endorsement for spins, but I'd have imagined most CPLs have some spin time already.

The initial CFI was the hardest ride I've been on (FSDO ride), it was also the least amount of money I've paid for any ride, it's all self study for the most part.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Very helpful.

Back