Passed My Check Ride

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I am wordy so get ready...

Couple things in hindsight. Looking at the check ride / Oral from a distance here is what I think.
I did really well on the written (93) and I knocked the oral out of the park. I was WAY over prepared for it and the DPE knew it. After the oral he said "After 20 minutes of talking to you I could tell you are going to pass this"

The reason I state that is because I know my strengths and weaknesses and was very concerned that stress was going to cause me to fail the flying portion. I panic easily and when I do I mess everything up.

But the DPE already had it in his head that this was going to be a good flight. It was mine to lose.

Please chime in and let me know if you agree but I think my check ride may have been unlike most others. Lots of interaction and instruction from the examiner.

Last thing the DPE said to me after the oral:
"Now look when we fly, I am not there to help you or give you any advice. You are going to do all the maneuvers on your own and I am a silent observer"

Let's begin.
We get in the 1964 Cessna 172. Stress Level: 5

Examiner "Do you want a cookie? I got two"
Me: "No think you I had a snickers for lunch. I couldn't eat another bite."

Go through my startup checklist, no concerns.
Contact Denton Ground and request Taxi to run-up area.
Wind is out of the north but he sends me to 18

I ask the examiner why.
"He thinks you are going to do maintenance. Tell him you want to taxi to take off. Common mistake. no biggie"

Taxi to 36

Examiner says "Stop riding the brakes" Gives me tips on Taxiing properly Stress Level: 6

DPE: "Ok, Show me a soft field takeoff"
Me "Ok, I am taking pressure off the wheel and will taxi out to the runway..."
DPE: "Don't teach it to me! just do it!" Stress Level: 7

I do the best soft field takeoff of my life, start my stopwatch and head to First Waypoint (Sanger TX). Stress Level: 3

I have my kneeboard and am looking at where I am going and he says "what is your first waypoint?"

Me: "Sanger"
DPE: "Where are you now"
Me: "We are about half way there"
DPE: "Where are you"
ME: "I dont understand"
DPE: "Where is your map?"

I feel so stupid as I pull my sectional out of my seat pocket and put it where it should have been after the run up Stress Level: 10 (Oh my god I am blowing this)

I get my map out and he says now where are you?
I show him power lines on the map, a lake and a highway and show him out the window (we were nowhere near the first way point) and he says "That's good enough for me" Stress Level: 3

DPE: "Oh No! The entire state of Oklahoma was destroyed by a tornado"
Me: "That always happens"
We laugh

Now I knew this guy liked to divert to Bowie and there was a VOR there he had consistently diverted students to Bowie so I was ready for that.

DPE: "Ok, take me to Bowi... Wait, You know what? Where is Decatur?"
Me: "South west of here"
DPE: "Ok how far?"

I put a thumb on Denton and finger on Gainesville and state this is about 28 miles, move my hand from where we are to decatur and tell him that is a bit less so maybe 22 miles he tells me to head that way and asks me how long and how much fuel to get there.

I tell him that we are going 100 mph so it is roughly a 15 minute flight and at 7GPH probably a gallon, gallon and a half.

DPE: "That sounds good let's go do some maneuvers" Surprisingly, Stress Level too low to register. I'm feeling good

DPE: "Aera is clear give me a steep turn"
Me: "No, I am going to do some clearing turns"
DPE: "Ok, do what you are used to doing"

I do steep turn to the left and one to the right ant they are as good as any I have done. Maybe gained 20-30 feet but well within standards.

DPE: "Ok, Slow it down"

I tell him We do slow flight at 1800 RPM and trim for 65 mph So I do that.

Here is where everything kind of changed.

DPE: "My airplane"
Me: "You mean you have the flight controls?" Stress level climbing (Why did I say that? shut up. Why is he taking the controls?)
DPE: "I have the flight controls"
Me: "you have the flight controls" (Oh I think I am failing!! why is he flying?)

DPE: "I am sorry to tell you but we can fly a lot slower than this. I bet we can slow it down to 55"

We do slow flight at 55 and he goes into CFI mode. I am used to 10 degrees of bank or less and sort of baby it around in slow flight but he shows me that all the ailerons are doing is creating drag. He shows me he can turn in slow flight with just the rudder then asks me to do it, 180 degrees.

I do it and all is well.

DPE: "Show me a power off stall"
I do it and it is fine

Positive exchange of controls once again as he demonstrates several different ways to stall and recover losing less altitude and explaining that PTS does not have a minimum alt loss for recovering from a stall but the earth does and on final, of you stall, you should be able to recover having lost almost no altitude. He demonstrates that for me as well.

Positive exchange of controls and then he lets me fly a bit just taking a breather.
then gets on to me "Son, you have got to release the death grip on that yoke. It is causing you to make small unnecessary inputs. For the remainder of the flight, you get to fly with 3 fingers"

I comply

He has me do a power on stall next.
I said that we do those at 1900 RPM and he jumps in and says, "no we will do full power and go ahead and add in 15 degrees of bank." Stress Level: 7

I do it and he stops and tells me to recover as soon as the plane indicates to me it is about to stall.
I tell him it is starting to buffet and I recover

DPE: "Excellent you are doing a great job!" Stress level: 0

Then I say "I am sorry but I don't know how you can expect anyone to fly a plane with out a death grip"
He got a good laugh out of that so I felt better.

Foggles, unusual attitudes were next and uneventful. Stress Level: who cares?

I didn't expect this but he says "I think you are about to lose your engine" and he is pointing out the window. I am not sure what is happening but he keeps pointing.

DPE: "What does that look like? Looks kind of like an airport doesn't it? Between you and me I will never pull the engine unless we are near an airport in case it dies for real."

I never imagined in a million years I would have gotten that heads up.

We are at about 2000 feet and right over the south end of the runway and as luck would have it, my engine "dies".

Me: "A, Airspeed Best Glide pitch to 75. B, Best place to land. We have identified the field. C, Checklist we are too low to pull it out so skipping it.

I tell him I cant make it from here so I am going to to a circle to the right and no flaps until I have the runway made. I had planned for 2 months that I was going to take advantage of the Engine out portion to incorporate a slip. I am good at slips and it gives me an opportunity to share my knowledge.

I state "We are lining up nicely but a bit high and The good news is I can slip it. Also since we don't add flaps until we are certain we have the runway made, I can slip now since this plane requires no flaps for slipping"

DPE: "Outstanding"

I nail it and he let me get surprisingly low to the ground (maybe < 20 feet) before calling for a go around.

There is one hanger at this grass strip and he says to do turns around a point using that hanger.
No issue there.

Then he says to line up for a short field landing on the grass strip.

One mistake I made here was normally we do our short field landings and plant it on the 1000 ft markers.
I told him I will set it down by that road 1/8 down the runway.

He asks why and explains that this is not a 5000 foot runway that we are practicing on but a real short field. Put it down as close as you can to the edge. (duh) oh well

I line up for it and this time I was in the flare before he called for the go around. We were low enough that he says "this runway has a hill in the middle of it. And The peak of that hill was at eye level.

DPE: "Go around"
DPE: "Take me back to Denton and when we get there, do a zero flap landing and set it on the 1000 ft markers"

I was a little worried about that. I have never done a precision landing with no flaps. We were about 15 miles away so I thought and thought and thought about how to pull it off and came up with a pretty good plan.

It was quiet in the plane for a few minutes and...

DPE: "Oh, and um.. Full Stop"
I almost teared up.

For whatever reason, he took over the radio all the way back.
I decided to fly an extended downwind and come in 1 white 3 red and pitch for the threshold.

I did that and overshot the hell out of the 1000 ft markers.

Me: "Oh man, I screwed that up."
DPE: "Oh, did you? I wasn't looking. And Congratulations."

In review things I noticed. Using my strengths reinforced his perception that this was going to be a good ride. I am very good with the radio. After almost all of my communications, he would just say "Excellent!" and give me a thumbs up.

I did bust altitude pretty good once and he told me to do another maneuver and I said "I am over altitude should I start the next on here or go back down" He firmly said "If this was my check ride, I would go back"

Writing this has helped me a LOT. In my mind the whole thing lasted 15 minutes and was very sloppy. I actually told my wife that I felt like was giving me a pass. In writing this I realize we flew a lot and there was some sloppy flying in parts. He commented that I am over controlling and often a little uncoordinated but all in all, I did 90+ % of it within PTS standards and was never unsafe.

We landed and he did tell me the only thing I did blatantly wrong was not doing a passenger briefing. He told me he wants me to work on loosening my death grip, stop over controlling, and work on not flying uncoordinated.

Got back to his office, and CFI gives me a big hug. Wife surprised me by showing up. I didn't tell anyone I was taking the ride but just before boarding, sent here a text saying "wish me luck" so she high tailed it to the airport with gifts for me that she had been hiding for this moment.

DPE to my Wife: "This is the best kind of check ride. I love the ones where the student shows up and you just know they have got it"

He was very complementary to me and stated a few times that I did outstanding. In my head I really thought he was being nice and felt like I was so sloppy but after reading this monster of a post I realize it is because I busted altitude and did a couple little things sloppy but that was a small percentage of the whole ride.

CFI: "Okay, Fly Me back to Gainesville"
ME: "No. First passenger is reserved for mom. You can fly me home."

We get in the plane
CFI: "How about we do a normal takeoff?"
Me: "That sounds nice you will have to show me what that looks like it has been awhile."

We get up...

CFI: "Man, it is starting to get bumpy"
Me: "Don't worry. You will get used to that in time"

Clongrats,nice write up,now go have fun.

What a great write up! I could almost feel my stress level going up and down too. Thank you for sharing!:yes:

What, you mean nothing went horribly wrong?:D Congrats!:thumbsup:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Aside from my own brain trying to trip me up no, Everything went far better than I ever imagined. Except for forgetting to pull out that "antiquated paper" map in the beginning. :)

Congrats!!!! And welcome to the North Texas Aviation Club!!

Who was your examiner? some of what you wrote sound familiar....

And next time you're back in Denton, allow me to buy you a congratulatory burger for Freebirds burrito!!

Congrats!!!! And welcome to the North Texas Aviation Club!!

Who was your examiner? some of what you wrote sound familiar....

And next time you're back in Denton, allow me to buy you a congratulatory burger for Freebirds burrito!!

I don't to give away his secrets.
His Initials: "DW"

Great Guy.

And I will take you up on that Burger :)
I am in Denton all the time. I live in Corinth and fly out of Ronaoke

As someone who is currently practicing for the checkride, I REALLY appreciate the writeup, the details, and the stress level indicators. I agree with a poster above, I could almost feel my stress levels changing as I read the words...

Great write up. It takes me back... To 3 months ago. :D

I'd say managing the stress level is tough. I was stressed the entire time and felt like I barely passed but, in retrospect, I'm sure I actually performed all the maneuvers within the standards. A couple of them could have been done smoother but they were to spec. Example: I rolled out of one of the steep turns a bit quickly but I ended up exactly on heading. Examiner told me I was scaring the passengers. :D Maybe so, but I'll be danged if I was going to miss rolling out on heading. Such a mental roller coaster ride.

Anyway, Congratulations!!!

I don't to give away his secrets.
His Initials: "DW"

Great Guy.

And I will take you up on that Burger :)
I am in Denton all the time. I live in Corinth and fly out of Ronaoke

Mine was Howard H. His memorable line was "I'm not here to instruct you. But I'm not above sharing the occasional bit of wisdom now and then." Very good DPE and I enjoyed the experience.

PM me your contact details and I'll reciprocate.

Very nice! congrats! Reading that, I felt like I was just doing mine again, although I sure wouldn't want to. :)

I got the "deathgrip" comment on my checkride as well. My knuckles were white from how hard I was gripping the yoke. I also got the comment about turning 5 degrees or less with the rudder instead of ailerons. My landings sucked...all pretty hard, but they were down the middle of the runway and he was content.

Next step IFR...

As someone who is currently practicing for the checkride, I REALLY appreciate the writeup, the details, and the stress level indicators. I agree with a poster above, I could almost feel my stress levels changing as I read the words...

Best thing to do during this practice is a mock checkride with another experienced CFI familiar with the DPE's methods. The new set of eyes/brain might pick up on an item or two that could use some polish. And the "stress" of being evaluated by a new to you person will help you acclimate when you do the real ride.

re: Deathgrips.... easy way to break that habit is to interlace a pencil between your fingers. That will quickly remind you to hold the yoke with light pressure.

I got the "deathgrip" comment on my checkride as well. My knuckles were white from how hard I was gripping the yoke. [snip]

First: CONGRATULATIONS!

My instructor had me fly with a pencil gripped between my middle finger and my other fingers in my left hand (my normal "death grip" hand). When I started to grip the yoke to tight it hurt my knuckles. After a while I didn't need it any more.

John

Wow. Great write up! Like others, my stress levels were going up/down as I was reading. Congrats!

+1 on that :yes:- Just completed first XC Solo... Your post is well appreciated! AND CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
DPE: "Aera is clear give me a steep turn"
Me: "No, I am going to do some clearing turns"
DPE: "Ok, do what you are used to doing"

I had a similar exchange on my ride that went something more like:

DPE: "Alright, give me a steep turn"
Me: "Okiedoke, lemme just clear the area and --"
DPE: "Just use the steep turn as your clearing turn. How else are you going to clear the area? If you need a clearing turn for your steep turn, you'll need a clearing turn for your clearing turn, then a clearing turn for that clearing turn, and --"
Me: "Roger that, steep clearing turn to the left coming in." (Not the way my CFI and I usually did things, but hey, he's the boss this time!)

Congratulations, pilot!

:cheers: Big Congrats! Well done. Sounds like a great DPE, too. A great write up for those on the way there. I believe this is how most successful check rides go. Student isn't perfect, but the "outcome of the maneuver is never in doubt", and the DPE teaches you something along the way.

Jeff

" (Not the way my CFI and I usually did things, but hey, he's the boss this time!)

No. YOU are.

You might get away with a steep clearing turn in a low wing, but not in a high wing. No more than 90 deg; you cannot see ahead of you while you are turning; you have to level to do that.

I had my examiner tell me that I was good to enter Class D after accidentally contacting Ground instead of Tower. I told him "no way" and circled until I could get in contact with Tower. Whether Tower and Ground are the same "facility" is debatable, but the larger point was that there was a lot of traffic in the area and blasting in was unsafe.

No. YOU are.

You might get away with a steep clearing turn in a low wing, but not in a high wing. No more than 90 deg; you cannot see ahead of you while you are turning; you have to level to do that.

I had my examiner tell me that I was good to enter Class D after accidentally contacting Ground instead of Tower. I told him "no way" and circled until I could get in contact with Tower. Whether Tower and Ground are the same "facility" is debatable, but the larger point was that there was a lot of traffic in the area and blasting in was unsafe.

Hmm. You've got a pretty good point, there. TBH at the time I didn't really have any visibility problems, so it all worked out, but I'll keep that in mind from here on out.

Congrats man!! Great feeling...I did mine two weeks ago...I'll never forget how good it felt when I got the, "...ok, normal landing...tell them full stop..." from the DPE. I knew then as long as I made it back to the FBO without running the thing off the runway I was official.

I'm down in Georgetown, TX (KGTU) - let's meet up and go flying sometime!!!

Am I the only one that is bothered by the statement, "I panic easily and when I do I mess everything up"?:dunno:

Am I the only one that is bothered by the statement, "I panic easily and when I do I mess everything up"?:dunno:

Maybe an overstatement.
When I get nervous, I rush. When I rush, I tend to forget things.
I have trouble getting past a mistake.

I am a pretty good pilot but I am totally the one that nails a short field landing and is so proud of it that I forget to hit the brakes.

Just like in my story forgetting the map. It is not that I am going to cause any problems, I just forget elementary stuff when I am nervous. I checked my flight bag about a hundred times to make sure I remembered to bring my foggles.

I had to really teach myself in preparation for the checkride that if I mess up a maneuver, to move on to the next one and let the mistake stay in the past.

So yeah, I'm that guy. Pressures of flying and quick decisions, are no problem. I am a problem solver for a living. But I don't test well and I get real nervous in situations where I am being tested.

Congrats man!! Great feeling...I did mine two weeks ago...I'll never forget how good it felt when I got the, "...ok, normal landing...tell them full stop..." from the DPE. I knew then as long as I made it back to the FBO without running the thing off the runway I was official.

I'm down in Georgetown, TX (KGTU) - let's meet up and go flying sometime!!!

I am totally down for this. you are about an hour and a half from me.
Let me get a few rounds of passengers out of the way and in a few weeks, I will bring the family down and we can grab a bite and share stories.

Congrats! Sounds to me like your primary CFI was kinda skiddish with stalls...DPE's technically aren't supposed to teach you anything on checkrides, but most do and most of them are a wealth of good information.

The pressures of flying and quick decisions are no problem but, you forget the brakes in a short field landing? You may find that being able to make quick decisions, accurately will be very important in flying.
Anyway, enough negative. Congrats on passing the check ride.

You might forget the brakes on a simulated short field landing... but if and when you have to do one for real you sure as hell won't forget your brakes, regardless of how well you land it.

Back