Passed checkride

Steven8385

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Steven8385
I'm a new member, been enjoying some light reading from this forum for a few weeks, figured I would say hello. Just passed my private pilot checkride today.

Welcome!
Congratulations!

Care to share the checkride experience?
Also where are and you what do you fly?

I'm a new member, been enjoying some light reading from this forum for a few weeks, figured I would say hello. Just passed my private pilot checkride today.

Congrats! Welcome to PoA. Where are you flying out of? Time to get some fun hours now!

Where is your first flight with a passenger going to be?

Checkride was good. I have read and studied so much that, it was pretty easy but extensive. Instead of just giving the answer he wanted I elaborate slightly to show that I knew where he was going with the question, to really try and forgo the digging into a topic area. Flight was just as the PTS stated, got alittle anxious when he wanted me to preform a soft field on a 2600 ft runway, and I have only done them on a 6000 foot runway. The turns around a point I could have done better on but still wasn't outside PTS, got closer then I had wanted to when I was coming around but, I stated it and what I should have done differently. For those who think it's crazy expensive to learn to fly it can been done cheaper. I did it from start to finish for $6100, that includes everything I spent money on for training, headsets, tests, foreflight, ram mount, charts, everything......

I am flying in NY in a 172, and I haven't even though about where I'm going yet.

Welcome and CONGRATS!!!!

Welcome to the forum,and congrats , need some help just ask.

Congratulations Steven. Thanks for posting the total cost. That will be very informative for a lot of aspiring pilots.

Congrats! Enjoy your new wings!

Congratulation Steven!!

It's a great thing to pass your check ride and unfortunately only pilots really understand how hard it is and the dedication it takes.

Where in NY are you out of? I fly into NY quite a bit. Saratoga, duchess county, occasionally up near rhinebeck.

Wow $6100 is cheap! I know guys here CT , spending over 10k regularly.

I tell people to do two things, partner up with a buddy and ride along with each others lessons and to put a go pro in the cockpit and flight link with light speeds app on I phone so you can watch your lessons over and over.
Did you do any of that?

Last edited:
Awesome. Congratulations! A great feeling indeed.

I fly out of dutchess county. I didn't film any off my training, however did think of it often. My recommendation is join a flying club, and use one of there instructors. Also save the money and then start. I did 53 hours in almost 3 months, when I tell people that they say that they wish they did that instead of dragging it out, it's much cheaper to do it fast.

Welcome to the League of Temporary Airmen.

I fly out of dutchess county. I didn't film any off my training, however did think of it often. My recommendation is join a flying club, and use one of there instructors. Also save the money and then start. I did 53 hours in almost 3 months, when I tell people that they say that they wish they did that instead of dragging it out, it's much cheaper to do it fast.

Our runway is only 2300 ft with obstacles on both ends so typical time to PPL is 80+ hrs. We've had a few guys get it done quicker but their parents were pilots so a little head start with knowledge..

. I've been to kpou quite a bit, man that's a great place to learn its huge runways. I never realized how much different it was until,I moved to a club at an airfield with larger / wider runways. It changes your confidence level dramatically as a student. I flew 3 times a week for a while but then missed a couple months with weather and scheduling, finally swapped instructors and it all worked out. Congratulations on the ppl and the 53 hrs that's very impressive.

Back