Part 107 and my ATP

Groundpounder

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Emerson Bigguns
I just got my UAS certification (Part 107) just because. I also have an ATP, and fly for a living. Let's say I am exercising the privileges of my 107 cert and I do something stupid that breaks a Part 107 specific rule. Will that affect my ATP? I think that the 107 cert and my ATP will have different certificate numbers on them (Still waiting for my hard card from the FAA, the temp just says "pending" for the cert number).

Also, lets say I am flying my UAS for fun, not engaging in an activity that would require a Part 107 cert, and I do something stupid. Would that affect my ATP?

I believe there was a case where the FAA took action against both certificates, but it was overruled. So no, it shouldn’t affect your ATP certificate.

My Part 107 Remote Pilot certificate has a different number than my other certificates. My Private Pilot, Mechanic, and Parachute Rigger certificates all have the same number. I do not know why the FAA decided to do it that way but they did.

To my knowledge, most of the times that the FAA has gone after every certificate that a person holds has been for falsification. The interesting thing is that while Parts 61 and 65 have language that states falsification can result in revocation of any certificate held, Part 107 has language that only puts the Part 107 certificate at risk.

Would that affect my ATP?
So no, it shouldn’t affect your ATP certificate.
FYI: there is guidance in Order 2150.3 that reserves the right for the FAA to take action on manned certificates if a person violates any drone rules whether UAS cert or not. I recall reading a brief where a guy on the East Coast had his COM ticket suspended for illegal personal drone flight. The brief had a copy of his suspension letter and as far as I know wasnt fought against or dismissed.

The answer to your question is in chapter 7 of the FAA enforcement order. Generally speaking, it depends. Hint: don’t deliver drugs with your drone.

Back