Paragliding on Maui today!

Beautiful pics. Where is the launch site?

Nauga,
halfway there

I am just jealous. I haven't been to Maui in a couple of years. I used to make it there at least once a year or so (and another trip to one of the other islands, but Maui is my favorite.).

Above Kula highway? Thanks - I'm upcountry fairly often but hadn't heard of the paragliding.

Nauga,
and his north shore lookout

Yep that's right...there was a bunch of guys paragliding not just the tandom tours like us. You can only do it in the morning though as it gets cloudy and the winds become too turbulent

I am just jealous. I haven't been to Maui in a couple of years. I used to make it there at least once a year or so (and another trip to one of the other islands, but Maui is my favorite.).

We usually go to Kauai but decided to switch it up and go to Maui. I haven't been here since I was probably 11 or 12. Maui and Kauai are my two favorites for sure.

We usually go to Kauai but decided to switch it up and go to Maui. I haven't been here since I was probably 11 or 12. Maui and Kauai are my two favorites for sure.
I have been to Kauai at least three times. It is probably my second favorite, though I like the big island too.

I have been to Kauai at least three times. It is probably my second favorite, though I like the big island too.

Yea I've been to Kauai I think 5 times. Last time we went it seemed like the economy wasn't doing real well as some of our restaurants we liked we're closed. In fact last time we went to Kauai the food was pretty horrible at all the restaurants we went to. I got really sick from food poisoning. Maui has had much much better food.

Yea I've been to Kauai I think 5 times. Last time we went it seemed like the economy wasn't doing real well as some of our restaurants we liked we're closed. In fact last time we went to Kauai the food was pretty horrible at all the restaurants we went to. I got really sick from food poisoning. Maui has had much much better food.
:eek: Maybe be more specific so the rest of us don't not get sick... I got food poisoning in Mexico (Stone Island off of Mazatlan, farthest place to the right facing the water) on my birthday about 10 years ago. Not fun. I spent the day on IV's in the infirmary of a cruise ship.

Never been...but I'd love to.
I know about 3 different people who moved there. Oddly, they all moved back. Even without any real job prospects or anything. One was a master scuba diver and lived for it pretty much. He came back to KY and just settled down for a mediocre job at a meter service. Seems happy.
Go figure.

I know about 3 different people who moved there. Oddly, they all moved back. Even without any real job prospects or anything. One was a master scuba diver and lived for it pretty much. He came back to KY and just settled down for a mediocre job at a meter service. Seems happy.
Go figure.
There is always that thing with making your hobby into a job. Mine was IT, so it worked, but I almost did ski patrol and am glad I didn't.

There is always that thing with making your hobby into a job
Yeah that is very true. I've seen it a few times.

Funny thing is, it's contradictory to the other saying I hear all the time. Do what you love for a job, and you'll always be happy.
My hobbies are what I love.
again I say.. go figure.

:eek: Maybe be more specific so the rest of us don't not get sick... I got food poisoning in Mexico (Stone Island off of Mazatlan, farthest place to the right facing the water) on my birthday about 10 years ago. Not fun. I spent the day on IV's in the infirmary of a cruise ship.

Honestly I don't remember the name of the place...it was a little hole in the wall in a shopping center in Kapa'a

Go figure.

I wouldn't want to live here...cool place to visit. One of my good friends was from Maui...his dad was a major drug addict. His mom was very glad to get out of the islands here. The Hawaiian islands are the number one user of meth in the US. Behind these beautiful islands there is a lot of drug addiction. Very sad. Read about Allison Moore...a Maui police officer who got addicted to meth and destroyed her whole life. Very sad.

Last edited:
Beautiful pictures! Makes me want to go paragliding again...

I wouldn't want to live here...cool place to visit. One of my good friends was from Maui...his dad was a major drug addict. His mom was very glad to get out of the islands here. The Hawaiian islands are the number one user of meth in the US. Behind these beautiful islands there is a lot of drug addiction. Very sad. Read about Allison Moore...a Maui police officer who got addicted to meth and destroyed her whole life. Very sad.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/07/meth-states_n_4057372.html

Damn I'm surrounded here in KY!!

One of my really good childhood friends went down that path. The story is, he started cooking the stuff and ended up getting burned to death in an explosion. What a waste.

holy crap...lol, we're ruining this thread.

About that paragliding. Glad you had fun! It looks awesome!

They were doing this at Lake Attitlan in Guatemala. I'd love to learn to do it, but am utterly uninterested in joy rides piloted by someone else.

I used to do that in Utah. Maui is on my bucket list for that. That type of flying is the closest you can come to flying like a bird. It's like the kind of flying you do when you dream you can fly.

That looks like a blast! Great photos!

I used to do that in Utah. Maui is on my bucket list for that. That type of flying is the closest you can come to flying like a bird. It's like the kind of flying you do when you dream you can fly.

Yea seems like a really fun hobby to learn!

We spent a week on Maui last September. Didn't try that, and the day we drove up Mt. Haleakala the weather was so bad you wouldn't have wanted to launch from up there. Beautiful island, however. We make it to Maui about every 12 years.

Kauai, on the other hand... We've been there 13 times (IIRC) and are going back the end of October for a week and the middle of January for 4 weeks. That is our favorite island. Never had problems with food poisoning. And I can name a number of places we've eaten that we will be back to again in the future.

Back