Pan Am -- The TV Show

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
It's on now.

Anyone else feel like crying when they saw how lovely the stewardesses were, how luxurious and friendly flying commercial was, and how just plain cool aviation was?

Having lived through the era, and having flown on a 707 in the era they are depicting, I can attest to the fact that it is (so far) well done.

I don't remember the 4' wide aisles on the airplane... ;-)

I do remember people dressing a little better than today's standard passenger garb of wife beaters, dirty sweats, and flip-flops.

Watching now but I have a feeling this is going to turn into a chick flick. I have to say I'm glad corsets are not "in" anymore.

I thought it was good. I got a kick out of the flight attendant...err...stewardess teasing Ted for just being the co-pilot and not a real pilot.

I'm still thinking about how much CGI was in the show...and I don't mean the stewardesses...

I do remember people dressing a little better than today's standard passenger garb of wife beaters, dirty sweats, and flip-flops.

You mean, better dressed than most of the guys hanging out at the typical FBO? :)

Wifey and I were watching and enjoyed it, but are waiting to see how long it sticks around. Really not the show we thought it was going to be, but entertaining nonetheless.

What I remember from that time are grizzled WWII vets up front, with clouds of cigarette smoke wafting back into the galley (and mixing with same generated from the pax). The pilots in the show look like ERAU sophomores.

The girls look nice, though. I like the close order drill marching out to the airplane. :)

It's on now.

Anyone else feel like crying when they saw how lovely the stewardesses were, how luxurious and friendly flying commercial was, and how just plain cool aviation was?

Having lived through the era, and having flown on a 707 in the era they are depicting, I can attest to the fact that it is (so far) well done.

Ditto here. Flew around the world in 1964 at 12 years old and was in love with all those lovely women....! :goofy:
Got many cockpit visits and even sat in the captain's seat on a flight in India while he got coffee.
PS: the captain is waaaaaay too young for the times.

What I remember from that time are grizzled WWII vets up front, with clouds of cigarette smoke wafting back into the galley (and mixing with same generated from the pax). The pilots in the show look like ERAU sophomores.

The girls look nice, though. I like the close order drill marching out to the airplane. :)
Not saying you are wrong, but weren't the grizzled WW2 still in their early forties during that era?

If a vet was 18 in 1942 they were born in 1924. The show is set in 1963 so those guys are like late thirties early forties at that time. Old and grizzled is not what I think of that age group.

If you want to read a good book on the Pilot's view of Pan Am in that era read the book "Sky Gods" by Robert Gandt who was one of those pilots. That's a pretty good story on the glory days and then decline and fall of Pan Am. It's a much better book that Jack E. Robinson's one of the same subject which is full of sanctimonious political views (on the other hand Jack's book on Eastern's collapse Free Fall which he was personally involved in is a lot better).

My Dad was a Pan Am pilot from 1964 when he left the Air Force, until they were bought by Delta, and then he retired from Delta. He loved Pan Am; its demise was very upsetting to him, and even today he doesn't like to talk about it. I asked two weeks ago. He was based in JFK, and I remember that flying saucer building. It was cool and spacey.

One of the nicest flights I've ever been on was a JFK-Paris flight, and we were moved to first class (if there was room, seating was discretionary by the head flight attendant, and they usually moved crew members' families to good seats). Pan Am first class involved champagne and caviar, and they even carved meat at your seat. My sister and I were underaged, but the flight attendant urged us to try the champagne and caviar. Dad has many stories about famous people he has flown, and interesting cargo, like circus elephants and race horses, and the unmarked 747 that flew Israeli fruit weekly into Saudi Arabia.

I was in high school on December 21, 1988, when a teacher came into my classroom and asked me where my Dad was. Pam Am 103 blew up. My Dad was home, but that was a common route. He said that Pan Am 103 was the beginning of the end.

Those Pan Am bags in the tv show, we had alot of those floating around the house. I used a Pan Am bag for a school bag. My Dad still has Pan Am stuff around.

Regarding pilot ages, in 1964 when he was hired, my Dad was 28.

I forgot to mention the dress codes. They were pretty strict, especially for non-revs. We had to dress up, including panty hose for women and no open-toed shoes. I hate panty hose, so one time I wore an ankle-length skirt. You could maybe see one inch of skin on my ankles. The gate person came up to me and said I really should be wearing panty hose.

I also remember the smoking sections! Us non-revs were usually put in the smoking section.

Last edited:
I didn't watch the show but I recently had a conversation with some retired flight attendants. I was surprised at some of the restrictions put on them. The one that really struck me was the rule that they could not be married. Therefore quite a few of them had secret marriages. I don't long for those days at all even though I never would have considered being a flight attendant.

I was in high school on December 21, 1988, when a teacher came into my classroom and asked me where my Dad was. Pam Am 103 blew up. My Dad was home, but that was a common route. He said that Pan Am 103 was the beginning of the end.
I flew on PanAm 103 a couple of years before the imfamous one. I lived in England and that was the common flight home for a lot of service people.

I didn't watch the show but I recently had a conversation with some retired flight attendants. I was surprised at some of the restrictions put on them. The one that really struck me was the rule that they could not be married. Therefore quite a few of them had secret marriages. I don't long for those days at all even though I never would have considered being a flight attendant.
I just saw an interview with a bunch of the old stewardesses. They really take exception to being called flight attendants. They stated they attended no one. I'll see if I can find it.

I flew on PanAm 103 a couple of years before the imfamous one. I lived in England and that was the common flight home for a lot of service people.

They switched the flight numbers after that, and I flew it recently. I think it's now flight #3 JFK-LHR, #4 LHR-JFK.

My god-parents are a pilot and former flight attendant/stewardess. They met while working, and she had to quit when they got married, sometime in the 1960s.

Not saying you are wrong, but weren't the grizzled WW2 still in their early forties during that era?

If a vet was 18 in 1942 they were born in 1924. The show is set in 1963 so those guys are like late thirties early forties at that time. Old and grizzled is not what I think of that age group.

The guys in the left seat were usually in their early to mid-forties IIRC (and older) - still young enough to have seen some action. Indeed, the last WWI vet probably retired about 1955 or so (or later; there was no Age 60 until what, 1958?). I remember them as really, really old :))), but I was eight years old in 1963.

Right or wrong, when I first saw the pilots I broke out laughing. :D

Does anyone know of a way to watch this (I was out last night)?

I wanted to see it - I don't have a DVR or anything, just basic cable. I wonder if there are not too crappy copies up on you tube or something.

Kimberly

PS - I have a Roku (netflix) but I thought episodes didn't come out until much later if at all?

My god-parents are a pilot and former flight attendant/stewardess. They met while working, and she had to quit when they got married, sometime in the 1960s.
It was funny to hear them talk about this one or that one having a secret marriage. I think at that time they knew the rules were going to be changed soon. I'm guessing this was in the late 60s or so.

The interesting one to me was the mandatory "retirement" age. 28.
I think these women came along late enough to escape that mandatory retirement age. There might have been retirement age but I got the impression they worked until they were much older than 28. It seems as if they really liked their job too, since they are involved in some kind of flight attendant historical association.

What I think is interesting is that I am probably not more than 15 years younger than these women and the working world as well as the culture changed quite a bit in those years. I had a lot more freedom to choose many things than they did.

I had such bad experience as a transatlantic Pan Am passenger on a couple of occasions that if they were the only way to get somewhere, I didn't go. It was a great pioneering airline that didn't age well and deserved to die. My memories are still raw enough that I have no desire to watch a program with that name.

I think these women came along late enough to escape that mandatory retirement age. There might have been retirement age but I got the impression they worked until they were much older than 28.

I got that number from the local news. They interviewed a real PanAm stewardess (her word, no offense to the militant "Flight Attendant" types) last night after the show.

She brought it up and didn't sound like she got out of it. She was very happy with her experience traveling the world, getting paid to do it.

I forgot to mention the dress codes. They were pretty strict, especially for non-revs. We had to dress up, including panty hose for women and no open-toed shoes. I hate panty hose, so one time I wore an ankle-length skirt. You could maybe see one inch of skin on my ankles. The gate person came up to me and said I really should be wearing panty hose.

This was common throughout the industry even well after the general slovenly decline of the paying passengers. I was sitting at the gate one time when a family of non-revers was being turned away from a United flight for not being dressed appropriately.

I had such bad experience as a transatlantic Pan Am passenger on a couple of occasions that if they were the only way to get somewhere, I didn't go. It was a great pioneering airline that didn't age well and deserved to die. My memories are still raw enough that I have no desire to watch a program with that name.

I flew them from NY to Rio and from Nairobi back to NY in 1974. They were top notch back then but that was before they started the decline (way before the National merger).

There are still dress codes for non-rev passengers. I know someone who has status on Frontier and they have to dress up in order to fly.

Does anyone know of a way to watch this (I was out last night)?

I wanted to see it - I don't have a DVR or anything, just basic cable. I wonder if there are not too crappy copies up on you tube or something.

Kimberly

PS - I have a Roku (netflix) but I thought episodes didn't come out until much later if at all?
Also check into Hulu.com

I made it halfway through the first episode before I stopped it, erased it, and cancelled taping the series. I honestly didn't see the point.

@Post #15 this thread -- I grew up with my father being a pilot for Branniff between the Jelly Bean years until 1982 when bankruptcy #1 occured. And I remember much of what that post described. Especially the dress code and the meal service.

One vacation trip to Mexico when I was 9, I recall the meal being served in what would be known as table side at today's restaurants. And the food quality was waaay better.

I also recall the futurist artistic style of Love Field and Branniff's terminal designs. From the ticket counters to the gate, you felt like you were in an art museum.

I too miss this era of commercial aviation.

A cool site on history of Braniff Airlines

An add on to our memory lane... The Love Field JetRail. My brother and I had more fun on this than we did on the actual plane ride.

JetRail circa late early 1970's
jetrail1.jpg

Jet Rail Page

I made it halfway through the first episode before I stopped it, erased it, and cancelled taping the series. I honestly didn't see the point.

I made about 10 minutes, found it intensely boring.

There are still dress codes for non-rev passengers. I know someone who has status on Frontier and they have to dress up in order to fly.

I still non-rev. I've been doing it all my life, I like the flexibility. But yes, there's a dress code. It's more business casual now, no jeans, no tshirts, no sneakers. Pan Am was much more strict, and it was fairly obvious which passengers were non-revs, because we were the best dressed.

I hate to sound stupid (never stopped me before....) but what is a non-rev? :redface:

I hate to sound stupid (never stopped me before....) but what is a non-rev? :redface:

Non-revenue passenger, usually airline employees and their families. Also buddy pass users. Non-revs fly standby, ie only when there are available seats. This allows for extreme flexibility but no guarantees. I've been bumped quite a few times. Just last year I was waiting for a flight, a passenger didn't make it though security on time for the flight, so the gate agent was literally handing me a boarding pass when the passenger ran up. My boarding pass disappeared. Non-reving has pluses and minuses.

My wife started with Delta Jan 1970 as a stewardess..."just for a couple of years to do some traveling". Hah! Today she's in Zurich on a trip and in 10 days we're going to non-rev to Paris (no non rev dress code on Delta anymore) to have some fun. There have been tremendous changes in the industry since the jetage started. None more than the stewardess/FA position. It's been interesting to watch and has helped define our lifestyle in a good way.

AFAIK Sue is not acting as a CIA courier.

Sue watched the show and enjoyed it. There are incorrect details for sure, but for fun it's not bad.

Non revenue. Flying for free.

It's not all free. Different airlines seem to operate differently. Airline employees and spouses and retirees generally free, dependent children free, non-dependent children pay a percentage. Buddy passes pay a percentage. I also know a furloughed pilot who has to pay a fee.

Last edited:
Back