Pan Am -- The TV Show

I didn't think it was 60s enough. Not enough cigarette smoke floating around in the air.

Wow. Good point. Haven't seen more than one or two for brief moments. Nary an ashtray anywhere, either. Not even a Pan Am logo'd one.

I agree that the copilot should have punched out the guy who attacked the stewardess.

The "howabout a drink?" talk was bullcrap. :rolleyes:

I didn't think it was 60s enough. Not enough cigarette smoke floating around in the air.

Wow. Good point. Haven't seen more than one or two for brief moments. Nary an ashtray anywhere, either. Not even a Pan Am logo'd one.

No smoking allowed indoors in California. Even in a studio. :D

If you want to see how it was see "Good Night and Good Luck," showing Edward R. Morrow and CBS with ashtrays everywhere.

No smoking allowed indoors in California. Even in a studio. :D

I believe that fake cigarette are available for the film and TV use.

My first commercial flight was back in the early 70's, we flew Braniff from Kansas City to Dallas and then onto Hawaii. Things sure have changed in 40 years and I am not so sure its been for the best.

What do you bet they were worried about the censors and the "think of the children" anti-smoking fascists?

You won't find a more strident anti-smoking fascist as your truly, and I don't mind seeing cigarettes in TV and movies. Part of life whether I don't like it or not. Huge aspects of the show are poorly written. Big surprise no one is smoking.

What do you bet they were worried about the censors and the "think of the children" anti-smoking fascists?

Could be that any tobacco use is banned by the "voluntary(?") ban of tobacco ads on broadcast TV. They didn't have a problem on "Mad Men" on cable.

Could be that any tobacco use is banned by the "voluntary(?") ban of tobacco ads on broadcast TV. They didn't have a problem on "Mad Men" on cable.

Ads are banned, it's not voluntary.
The networks impose their own censorships. Lots of heat these days on depicting smoking (even if historically accurate) particularly on shows aimed at children/teens (though I can't even guess what they expect the intended audience of Pan Am to be, if they left out the sex parts, it probably would be ideal for two year olds).

Ads are banned, it's not voluntary.
The networks impose their own censorships. Lots of heat these days on depicting smoking (even if historically accurate) particularly on shows aimed at children/teens (though I can't even guess what they expect the intended audience of Pan Am to be, if they left out the sex parts, it probably would be ideal for two year olds).

Yeah. I remember that NBC banned any mention or depiction of drug use, so Joe Piscapo had to do his mad rock drummer bit by chugging bottles of beer.

Yeah. I remember that NBC banned any mention or depiction of drug use, so Joe Piscapo had to do his mad rock drummer bit by chugging bottles of beer.

The most abused drug in the world...

I just saw an interview with a bunch of the old stewardesses. They really take exception to being called flight attendants. They stated they attended no one.

Yeah, another steaming heap of politically correct nonsense. I could never understand why "attendant" was preferable to "stewardess" (or "steward"). When I think of "attendant" I think of some guy in the restroom who hands you a paper towel and expects you to tip him. Just another excuse for some people to feign insult where non exists.

My big remembrance of passenger flight in the 60s happened at the old Atlanta terminal. I was getting on a flight to Tampa at the age of maybe 13 or 14. People were near the gates handing out free mini-packs of cigarettes to everyone who got on board, including me. Imagine a tobacco company promoting smoking to teens with free smokes today!

Times have changed indeed. My high school had designated smoking areas for the students and the teachers lounge was pretty much always (even in Elementary school) where the staff escaped for a smoke. In college, ash trays were always in the lecture halls and class rooms.

I remember the "No Smoking" signs went off after takeoff long before the seat belt sign. I almost always flew in the Smoking section as my parents smoked. My favorite airline story as a kid was when we were travelling on some foreign airline and some lady was making a small fuss about getting a seat in a non-smoking section and the bewildered gate agent informed her it was not NECESSARY for her to smoke in any section of the aircraft.

That first takeoff was NOT good CRM!! :D And he said "with you"

Last edited:
That first takeoff was NOT good CRM!! :D And he said "with you"

I'm not sure what year this is allegedly set in, but I suspect it's in the mid-60's and that predates the advent of CRM at Pan Am. In fact, one of the things that is TOTALLY screwed up is that the captains were all significantly older than depicted and quite autocratical in their behavior.

Yeah, another steaming heap of politically correct nonsense. I could never understand why "attendant" was preferable to "stewardess" (or "steward"). When I think of "attendant" I think of some guy in the restroom who hands you a paper towel and expects you to tip him. Just another excuse for some people to feign insult where non exists.

It began about the same time as "Although we are here primarily for your safety, if there's anything we can do..." (keep it to yourself and keep your trap shut) began.

It began about the same time as "Although we are here primarily for your safety, if there's anything we can do..." (keep it to yourself and keep your trap shut) began.

Hey, they are there for your safety. That's why originally they were required to be nurses and to lead passengers by the hand to the lavatory so they wouldn't open the exterior door by mistake.

Back