paint....

Son, that is beautiful! Name change: James Fliesalot!

Congrats on a great result.

Since his day job is a TV weatherman, I suggest he re-christen the airplane, "Wishful Thinking"

Congrats and a very nice look, James!!

That looks great! Need to see it in person sometime...can you teach me everything you know about weather in 20 minutes over a burger while we wrestle our toddlers? :D

Why did you not go with one of the original baby poop greens or yellows?

P1030227_21.jpg

It's really too bad Cessna didn't build more airplanes without struts. The cantilevered wings just look sexy on the airframes that have them.

I didn't even notice that, but you're right. There would probably be a handful less head strikes out there, too.

That looks great! Need to see it in person sometime...can you teach me everything you know about weather in 20 minutes over a burger while we wrestle our toddlers? :D

Why did you not go with one of the original baby poop greens or yellows?

P1030227_21.jpg

He could name it after snot... :D

I didn't even notice that, but you're right. There would probably be a handful less head strikes out there, too.

The best part is they handle as a good as they look. Smooth firm pitch axis and light quick and well balanced frise ailerons for roll. The feel beats all the other high winged Cessnas hands down, all complimented by a buttery soft tubular spring steel gear that's like rolling on a marshmallow.

Yummy. I see lots of bug cleaning in your future. Well done.

The obsessive bug cleaning has already begun!!! :)

Beautiful paint job! Too bad you have to fly her and take a chance on messing up the paint. :)

David

James, beautiful paint job. Do you still have the snot yellow interior?

Oh yeah.... Its actually in pretty good shape. Might try to knock that out next spring while I'm dodging tornadoes.

I especially like the gold ribbon with its wave on the tail. It really ties the various elements together.

I'm curious...

Does anyone ever paint airplanes with a clear coat, like cars have been done for the last decade or two? I was speaking to a pilot who owned an auto paint shop once, he said clear coats dramatically changed his business, as cars no longer needed to be painted every 10 years. It seems the same would be true for airplanes.

Has anyone ever asked an aircraft paint shop about this? With a clearcoat, it seems like a paint job could stay in good shape for 30+ years on a hangared plane.

I'm curious...

Does anyone ever paint airplanes with a clear coat, like cars have been done for the last decade or two? I was speaking to a pilot who owned an auto paint shop once, he said clear coats dramatically changed his business, as cars no longer needed to be painted every 10 years. It seems the same would be true for airplanes.

Has anyone ever asked an aircraft paint shop about this? With a clearcoat, it seems like a paint job could stay in good shape for 30+ years on a hangared plane.

UV kills about everything. The 45 year old paint on the 177 is still very nice for it's age, but the plane never sat outside. The parts of the paint that did really suck was heat damage on the cowling and chemical damaged from acetone or whatever.

Chemical resistance in polyuethanes is one of it's better features. One of my long time body shop friends didn't like the idea of epoxy stuff on light aluminum airplanes because when cured, its relatively brittle and has a lower chip resistance.

Jets average paint life is 7 years. Sure you can clear an airplane, but it's still gonna get dinged the same as one without.

Last edited:
Usually about two weeks after they promise it!! :dunno::D

Looks great!! I am in NC and looking all over for a paint shop. Reasonable prices? I have been qouted $12k for my Warrior

Anyone have suggestions for a paint shop?

Last edited:
Looks great!! I am in NC and looking all over for a paint shop. Reasonable prices? I have been qouted $12k for my Warrior

Anyone have suggestions for a paint shop?

I had a one-man-band do mine. Took a little longer, but he is meticulous. I provided the scheme.

'round these parts, a Warrior would go from $7500 low to $11k high I would think.

I had a one-man-band do mine. Took a little longer, but he is meticulous. I provided the scheme.

'round these parts, a Warrior would go from $7500 low to $11k high I would think.

Thanks Tulsa - I have been told that $12k is very high and to look in Florida.

You have a sweet looking paint scheme. Enjoy

Back