paint....

TulsaWeather

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TulsaWeather
Looks like the Cardinal is going in the paint shed this winter.

Here's what I've come up with.

I'm not really finished with the Cardinal on the tail, but I want some sort of something with a wings-spread bird in flight.

Attachments

• paintprofilesmall.jpg
    paintprofilesmall.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 298
That's gorgeous. Be sure to post photos of the finished product.

Your airplane is more than 30 years old, so you have the option of using 2" registration numbers, if you wish (FAR 45.22(b)). No reason not to, unless you plan international travel.

well, that is something to think about. any disadvantages in the 2" #s, other than int'l travel?

i personally usually like the looks of 12" numbers better

That's going to look great!:yes:

Where is it being painted at? I'm out at riverside would love to see the finished product!

I like the look and choice of colors.

How about for the cardinal, pose it like an eagle about to strike

59_Eagle%20Strike%20-%2072dpi.jpg

Or since you're a weather guesser, giving a tornado a beat down

16914-Evil-Blue-Eyed-Dark-Tornado-Mascot-Cartoon-Character-Poster-Art-Print.jpg

PS. We have been missing you on the DFWPilot's board

Though, now that I think about it....

The avatar you used to have of the guy who painted his face with all 4 members of KISS might be worth considering for this... :D :D

james-kuhn-awesome-face-painting-american-gothic-kiss.jpeg

Clearly there is only one option. Just paint the entire thing federal yellow and then use black for the N-numbers.

Didn't AOPA give away a Cardinal that had a similar choice for paint scheme?

hahahahaha, I could yellow it up alright!

I'm hoping to get this done in December or January.

Here is the AOPA Cardinal:
N778RD-AOPA.jpg

Last edited:
follow up:

What stuff should I do to the plane before paint? I'm getting new brake and gear leg fairings, what else am I forgetting?

For the bird, I would adapt the St. Louis Cardinals logo. Replace the baseball bat with a propeller. I think that would be really cute. Might need to change the bird some, to avoid licensing problems, though. Here's a quick photoshop:

attachment.php

Attachments

• bird.jpg
    bird.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
follow up:

What stuff should I do to the plane before paint? I'm getting new brake and gear leg fairings, what else am I forgetting?

If you were planning to do any glass work, best to do it with the paint job. Start looking for corrosion, every plane has some. If you find bits of it on insp circle it with a marker so it gets attention. Don't forget the prop paint. I would go with gray or black and red safety paint on the tips.

I have a painter at Propwash in N Dallas that does good work pretty cheap. Let me know if you haven't chosen a shop. He works kind of slow, but in winter should be able to get it done in a reasonable time.

For the bird, I would adapt the St. Louis Cardinals logo.

Naw, just use a big red "S" with a redwood tree through it so it looks like a dollar sign.

Oh, not THAT Cardinal?

Remember, there is no airport in Berkeley, but there is one in Palo Alto.

Good looking scheme James. I like it much better than AOPA's Catch-A-Cardinal.

I love YellowBird (don't get mad at me Scott :wink2:) but Cardinals are RED!

Yellow spinner, cowl painted like the face of a cardinal in profile.

That would really look slick if you ever got the cowl-a-bunga LoPresti is developing.

James, if you haven't picked a paint shop yet, Cimarron Aircraft in El Reno (just west of OKC) painted my Cardinal in 1992 and it still looks great. Might be worthwhile to get their bid.

Leon died a few years ago but his wife told me the same manager was going to continue working at the shop. They painted quite a few planes for me over the years with very few problems, and stood behind any work that wasn't right.

James, if you haven't picked a paint shop yet, Cimarron Aircraft in El Reno (just west of OKC) painted my Cardinal in 1992 and it still looks great. Might be worthwhile to get their bid.

thanks for the great ideas and recommendations!!

this board needs more abrasive arrogance and self-righteousness!! haha, just kidding.

thanks for the great ideas and recommendations!!

this board needs more abrasive arrogance and self-righteousness!! haha, just kidding.

I am still waiting for some one to recommend that they test fly your plane with its new paint Job for you. :D

I am sure it is coming. You know how pilots like to volunteer for those types of jobs.

David

I'll be the one to tell him to pull the wheels and flush and repack the bearings as soon as he gets it home in order to remove all the stripper that the paint shop left in them.

I am still waiting for some one to recommend that they test fly your plane with its new paint Job for you. :D

I am sure it is coming. You know how pilots like to volunteer for those types of jobs.

David

Man, you just cannot hide a Cardinal's natural grace and beauty.

Man, you just cannot hide a Cardinal's natural grace and beauty.

It's really too bad Cessna didn't build more airplanes without struts. The cantilevered wings just look sexy on the airframes that have them.

It's finally finished!

Attachments

• cardnewpaint.jpg
    cardnewpaint.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 114
What's wrong with plaid? Why doesn't anyone at least paint the wings and tail feathers plaid?

Son, that is beautiful! Name change: James Fliesalot!

Congrats on a great result.

Back