Paint Shop Recommendations in Midwest?

netsurfr

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jose
Looking for recommendations of good paint shops in the Midwest (preferably in WI, IL) to paint my top cowl. Unbelievably the shop that has been doing maintenance on my plane screwed up by putting the top cowl on the ground while doing a run-up in very windy conditions and the cowl got blown by the wind across the tarmac. They attempted to repair & paint it but the outcome was not good so I need to find a shop that can do a good job so I can get it fixed and decide how I'm going to deal with the shop that screwed it up.

I would ask my A&P if he would be willing to sign off the work done by my local auto body shop.

So exactly what qualification is required to paint an aircraft excluding the control surfaces?

If you mean what certificate can sign it off, that would include A&P (actually A will do), Repairman with proper rating, and Private Pilot or above. If it is a control surface then remove pilots from the list.

If you mean what skills will qualify you to do it, that is a matter of opinion. To actually do the work, zero certificates are required.

Regardless though of who does the work, it must be documented and signed off.

So
Painting a cowl requires no sign-off.
is incorrect.

If you mean what certificate can sign it off, that would include A&P (actually A will do), Repairman with proper rating, and Private Pilot or above. If it is a control surface then remove pilots from the list.

If you mean what skills will qualify you to do it, that is a matter of opinion. To actually do the work, zero certificates are required.

Regardless though of who does the work, it must be documented and signed off.

So

is incorrect.
Snort, snicker, lmao.

Refinishing decorative coating of fuselage, balloon baskets, wing tail group surfaces (excluding balanced control surfaces), fairings, cowlings, landing gear, cabin, or cockpit interior when removal or disassembly of any primary structure or operating system is not required is allowed. See preventative maint part 43.

It does require a sign off from an owner or operator possessing at least a private cert.

Last edited:
Not difficult I agree but in order to properly match the paint I guess you need the right equipment/room/etc... The current shop tried to do it but there's several "runs" and parts feel gritty from dust in the room they used to paint the cowl.

Not difficult I agree but in order to properly match the paint I guess you need the right equipment/room/etc... The current shop tried to do it but there's several "runs" and parts feel gritty from dust in the room they used to paint the cowl.
Sorry to hear that. I've had a little better experience using auto painting shops but had to get quotes from many to find a non-gouging shop.

Brandis Aircraft in Taylorville IL. They typically work on bigger jets but are doing the wing of our clubs archer next week.

Thanks I'll check around on this option...

Sorry to hear that. I've had a little better experience using auto painting shops but had to get quotes from many to find a non-gouging shop.

Back