Paint scheme question

Artimas

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Artimas
I'd appreciate opinions regarding paint scheme design.

Do you think there are any advantages (other than aesthetic) to having the bottom of the plane painted dark rather than white? I feel like a dark bottom will hide the dirty bottom better between cleanings as well as make the open gear wells less noticeable.
Any thought you might have are appreciated.

Thanks.

The dark color still needs cleaning (after each flight) or it will look just as crappy as the white bellies that are neglected just as fast.
Exhaust, oil, etc are color blind. They're just gotta do their jobs: to look terrible on the belly.

I feel like a dark bottom will hide the dirty bottom better between cleanings as well as make the open gear wells less noticeable.
Have worked on a number of aircraft with dark colors on bellies or exhaust areas. Regardless of color it will still look dirty. From a mx standpoint dark colors can hide defects like cracks. But the main downside is if you're looking only to extend the time between cleanings, then the longer the stains or oils stay on the paint, the sooner the paint will fail.

The advantage of a dark belly is it will hide oil residue and stuff like that better from afar. Also, it will increase your plane's visibility, particularly from the ground or from another aircraft that is below you. You'll present a better silhouette, in other words.

A clean white bottom shows a well cared for airplane.

Look at dirty cars. Dirty white ones and dirty black ones look basically the same: dirty.

-Skip

Back