PA28 simulator

vannav

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
van
Finally getting back to designing the PA28 simulator after moving from NY to Virginia and other life events. I found the geometry a little complex when it comes to the yokes. I do not have an actual cockpit to measure from so have to depend on input from others for dimensions. My goal is to keep it as close as possible to real aircraft dimensions. I added the universal joints and modified T-Bar to the yokes. The maximum fore aft travel I can get is 8 or 9 inches. Wish I knew what the actual fore aft max travel is on a Piper Archer or Warrior. One other dimension that would be a great help is the total height of the T-Bar. Would be so grateful if anyone can supply those dimensions. So here is a few pictures of work in progress. Here is my Facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/groups/628896667180635/

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Drawing Yokes-1.jpg
    Drawing Yokes-1.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Drawing Yokes-2.jpg
    Drawing Yokes-2.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Drawing Yokes-3.jpg
    Drawing Yokes-3.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Yoke Measurement.jpg
    Yoke Measurement.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 78
While I applaud your effort (and maybe I'm missing the point), but wouldn't it be easier/cheaper to just find a wrecked or abandoned plane and harvest the cockpit from it? Can't beat that accuracy.

While I applaud your effort (and maybe I'm missing the point), but wouldn't it be easier/cheaper to just find a wrecked or abandoned plane and harvest the cockpit from it? Can't beat that accuracy.
In Moneta, Virginia near smith mountain lake. Yes I have been looking for a 1969 or newer PA28 fuselage. Piper aircraft prior to 1969 have the old style instrument panel layout. I got my PPL in a 1977 Piper Warrior about 30 years ago. The problem with finding a fuselage is most are striped and the cost involved to replaced the missing parts will take a lot more money. On eBay your looking at $250 just for one yoke and $500 for a rudder pedal assembly. Scrap yards are selling basically a tin can for one thousand dollars or more. Finding even a project aircraft can also be costly and in some cases when bidding on a wreak fuselage your bidding and competing against scrap yards buying it just for the parts. I hope to find a fuselage for myself but also this project is for the pilots wishing to build their own simulator for procedure practice. Thank you for your comments.
Van

Last edited:
I am now designing / working on the mechanical trim for the simulator. A question about trim in the real PA-28 aircraft. I have heard of a aerobatic pilot breaking the control stick and still successfully landing with the elevator trim. Therefore is full aft trim the same as holding full aft yoke in the PA-28 ? I would think elevator trim is only a percentage of yoke travel.

I am now designing / working on the mechanical trim for the simulator. A question about trim in the real PA-28 aircraft. I have heard of a aerobatic pilot breaking the control stick and still successfully landing with the elevator trim. Therefore is full aft trim the same as holding full aft yoke in the PA-28 ? I would think elevator trim is only a percentage of yoke travel.

It's simpler (mechanically) but more complicated to reproduce. The trim control affects the relative adjustment of the servo tab on a PA-28. This deflects into the slip stream and forces the stabilator the other direction causing nose up or nose down trim. So it's effects are speed dependent. Basically once trimmed for an airspeed, you can change the throttle setting and the airplane will go either nose up (if you increased power) or nose down (if you decreased power) to seek that airspeed. I'm not sure how you're mechanically going to replicate that.

You can use the trim to get some up & down control if the cable breaks. It's not as much as the stabilator/elevator but better than not having it.

John

Thanks John for your comment. Yes I am aware of the power effects as I am a license pilot also. Received my PPL about 40 years ago in a Piper Warrior. Started out in hang gliders then ultralights. Its a shame that most simulator pilots do not understand power and pitch control and some proper trim techniques. If your flying a Piper Cherokee, Warrior or Archer here is something that you might like to try next time your up. I was taught the concept by a test pilot for Piper Aircraft Corporation. As part of the FAA certification testing for each aircraft he had to demonstrate a minimum (sometimes called maximum) trim glide. Every light aircraft I know will fly with power off and trim at maximum aft position. The airplane will not stall.

It's simpler (mechanically) but more complicated to reproduce. The trim control affects the relative adjustment of the servo tab on a PA-28. This deflects into the slip stream and forces the stabilator the other direction causing nose up or nose down trim. So it's effects are speed dependent. Basically once trimmed for an airspeed, you can change the throttle setting and the airplane will go either nose up (if you increased power) or nose down (if you decreased power) to seek that airspeed. I'm not sure how you're mechanically going to replicate that.

You can use the trim to get some up & down control if the cable breaks. It's not as much as the stabilator/elevator but better than not having it.

John

Just a small correction to above. The Cherokee has an anti-servo tab on the stabilator. It deflects in the same direction as the trailing edge of the stabilator (opposite of a conventional trim tab movement in relation to the trailing edge of the elevator).

Just a small correction to above. The Cherokee has an anti-servo tab on the stabilator. It deflects in the same direction as the trailing edge of the stabilator (opposite of a conventional trim tab movement in relation to the trailing edge of the elevator).
Thanks for the correction. I blame insufficient coffee that day...

The anti-servo function and trim function of the tab are separate.

Simulator trim testing. Tests completed using Prepar3D and the A2A Cherokee. Note: A2A Cherokee airspeed gauge in mph not kts.

Attachments

• Trim.jpg
    Trim.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 26
  • PA-28 Procedure Trainer.jpg
    PA-28 Procedure Trainer.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 26
YES it is. Using real piper pedals. Still lots of design work to do. The key issue here is not just designing components but designs that are easy to make for the average person with minimal tool requirements. You can keep up with my project on my Facebook group page here AND you do not need a Facebook account to view ! https://www.facebook.com/groups/628896667180635/

Really need this measurement Anyone ? Anyone with a flying PA-28 could get the real measurement easy.

Attachments

• Control Yoke Measurement.jpg
    Control Yoke Measurement.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Got two measurements, only need one more.
Thank You in advance.

Attachments

• Control Yoke Measurement.jpg
    Control Yoke Measurement.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 15
Back